DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

Posted · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

Is there a 2.85 option? Or I would have to make a UM3 hotend to make that work? I still use 2.85mm filament for all my other printers currently.

38 minutes ago, 3dprntz said:

Is there a 2.85 option? Or I would have to make a UM3 hotend to make that work? I still use 2.85mm filament for all my other printers currently.

You could drill out the top coupler holder to let a 2.85m filament through and find a thin enough ptfe tube that fits in the pipe but is also 3mm ID. Someone mentioned that they modified the parts earlier in this thread for 2.85mm. 

On 1/31/2024 at 8:53 PM, ansonl said:

Sand down the threads at the tip of the moving heater block screw so that the top portion of the screw moves freely in the hole in the bottom plate. 

If it doesn't move freely enough, you can drill out the threads in the threaded hole in the bottom plate that the moving heater block screw would go into. 

Your setup looks good!

Ahh, thanks! Why didn't I think of thank haha.

On 2/1/2024 at 1:03 PM, ansonl said:

You could drill out the top coupler holder to let a 2.85m filament through and find a thin enough ptfe tube that fits in the pipe but is also 3mm ID. Someone mentioned that they modified the parts earlier in this thread for 2.85mm. 

You could install the UM3 toolhead- 😊 it works great 

22 hours ago, Garufa said:

Wouldn't be a bad idea. Has the print head part become cheaper? And does the bed leveling works with the included capacitor?

Coming along nicely if I say so myself!

DXUv2-lever-action.gif

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, LouDFPV said:

Coming along nicely if I say so myself!

DXUv2-lever-action.gif

What linear bearings are you using?

27 minutes ago, 3dprntz said:

What linear bearings are you using?

Drylin bearings, didn't buy them myself they were already on the printer.

On 2/6/2024 at 5:36 PM, 3dprntz said:

Wouldn't be a bad idea. Has the print head part become cheaper? And does the bed leveling works with the included capacitor?

I have not tested the bed leveling with it, I understand that additional hardware is needed.

On 2/5/2024 at 6:33 PM, Garufa said:

Files to 3D print the toolhead are in GitHub  - one piece is best in metal or high heat resistant material

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

Files to 3D print the toolhead are in GitHub  - one piece is best in metal or high heat resistant material

I printed them in resin to test the concept. I think I used a temp resistant ABS like resin. The lever was too sticky or had too much friction.

4 hours ago, LouDFPV said:

Drylin bearings, didn't buy them myself they were already on the printer.

Do you know if they are igor drylin bearings and what are you option on them? Smooth?

On 2/9/2024 at 11:29 AM, Garufa said:

I have not tested the bed leveling with it, I understand that additional hardware is needed.

Check Bhiner for ultimaker2.5 -is hard to know what is included. Other parts for UM3 toolhead are available in the same site. 

IMG_0161.jpeg

• Heart 1

Posted (edited) · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+
    23 hours ago, Garufa said:

Check Bhiner for ultimaker2.5 -is hard to know what is included. Other parts for UM3 toolhead are available in the same site. 

IMG_0161.jpeg

Could you provide a link? I am having a hard time finding the page. I did find this but it appears that it is off the shelves or not sold anymore. 3D Printer Accessories ul...-Taobao.com

Edited by 3dprntz

2 hours ago, 3dprntz said:

Could you provide a link? I am having a hard time finding the page. I did find this but it appears that it is off the shelves or not sold anymore. 3D Printer Accessories ul...-Taobao.com

https://www.bhiner.com/Search?skey=UM2.5 25100

https://www.bhiner.com/taobao-agent/646573803386

4 hours ago, Garufa said:

Awesome! This one is the UM3 head board? 3D printer accessories DIY suitable for UM machine upgrade extruder adapter driver circuit board NO.2012 | Taobao Agent Bhiner (www-bhiner-com.translate.goog). I don't know how much you can understand, but the previous one you sent for the UM2.5 is just the board or the whole print head? Guess this one is confusing since it shows the partial head instead of the whole with all the fans. Have you worked through this agent website before?

On 2/11/2024 at 8:13 AM, Garufa said:

IMG_0161.jpeg

Wow, really cool that they seem to have created a PCB adapter for the UM2 electronics to be linked to the UM3 printhead and the nozzle cartridge. I wish that was available a few years ago. I can't tell if the nozzle cartridges are usable with the UM3 or if they are custom made to only be used with their UM2.5 custom adapter from the pictures. 

I took some pictures of the 24V 35W heater cartridges that I had previously made for the DXU. The heaters have strain relief at the 90 degree bend and the unheated rear portion is slightly longer to avoid the heater wires touching the back of the hotend cooling fan. The strain relief help reduce the wear and tear that is normally put on the heater wires that you would previously bend to 90 degrees to insert the cartridge into the Olsson style heat block. It's mainly for the second extruder that encounters the up and down movement but I've used it on both sides myself.

I have a couple of spares cartridges that I can send (DM me) for a fee if anyone else is doing the DXU build in the future. 

IMG_1392.JPG

IMG_1391.JPG

15 hours ago, 3dprntz said:

Awesome! This one is the UM3 head board? 3D printer accessories DIY suitable for UM machine upgrade extruder adapter driver circuit board NO.2012 | Taobao Agent Bhiner (www-bhiner-com.translate.goog). I don't know how much you can understand, but the previous one you sent for the UM2.5 is just the board or the whole print head? Guess this one is confusing since it shows the partial head instead of the whole with all the fans. Have you worked through this agent website before?

Yes I have purchased the PCBs for the toolhead and nozzles and no they are not compatible with UM3 PCBs. At the back of the nozzle and toolhead are 4 contact points instead of 5 and no circuits for LED or sensors- you can use the UM3 parts but replace the PCBs and adapt if you want to use 1.75 mm filament.

IMG_0018.jpeg

The clone um2.5 print cartridge fits 1.75mm as shipped? And the real um3 cartridge is for 2.85mm? 

Posted (edited) · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

3D printer accessories UM DIY suitable nozzle kit NO.9428_AS | Taobao Agent Bhiner (www-bhiner-com.translate.goog)

mentions that the heat throat and pcb needs to be programmed to work in this one. 

Edited by 3dprntz

2 hours ago, 3dprntz said:

3D printer accessories UM DIY suitable nozzle kit NO.9428_AS | Taobao Agent Bhiner (www-bhiner-com.translate.goog)

mentions that the heat throat and pcb needs to be programmed to work in this one. 

Those are for the original  UM3 - compare the PCB boards with the UM2.5 to see the differences 

8 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Those are for the original  UM3 - compare the PCB boards with the UM2.5 to see the differences 

or modify the PCB as DIY see picture below form another forum 

image.jpeg.78c6533acf65f48958e629a72d142927.jpeg

• Like 1