UM S5 WiFi Setup stuck

Capsaicin

Posted (edited) · UM S5 WiFi Setup stuck

Hi guys,

I hope somebody can help with this really annoying problem.

We're trying to hook up the UMS5 to our companys WiFi.

When we follow the WiFi Setup instructions (connect to hotspot, insert country and name, enter network information of hidden network),

the browser setup screen on the browser end up saying "setup complete, wait for UM to connect to WiFi network" but the UM never succeds to connect.

The setup screen stays at the "connect to your Ultimakers hotspot and follow the instructions in your browser"- screen. Never moves forward from there.

What we tried so far: 

- restart UM (with Ethernet enabled/disabled, with USB-Stick and without USB stick)

- Setup from Laptop or Smartphone

- different browsers on laptop

The result was the same at every try. 

Firmware Version is: the latest one (5.0.19.20180622). 

Ethernet connection works and network information are correct, connection to the network with other devices works.

Glad for any help!

Edited by Capsaicin

Posted · UM S5 WiFi Setup stuck

Hi @Capsaicin thank you for your post. Can you share your log files? That should give us some more information regarding why you can't seem to finish the wifi setup.

You can get it via: Preferences > Maintenance > Diagnostics

Thank you! 

No problem, let's hope we can get to the bottom of this ?

Can you connect to the network if you manually fill in the network ID (SSID) instead of selecting it from the list?

And I was wondering if you could send a photo of the network selection list setup. You can do it via DM if you prefer. 

Thank you! 

@SandervG as the network SSID is hidden it's the only way I can do it. Do you still need a photo of the selection list?

@SandervG the issue is still not fixed. Any further suggestions?

I don't want to interrupt a dialog here but just a rhetorical question: There is no MAC filter on that WiFi, right?

Thanks for your contribution @Dim3nsioneer, there is no MAC filter active on that WiFi.

Following,

Same problem with UM3.

Also how to purge all configurations, printers.

Thanks!

just another part ;0

IMG_2844.JPG

Day four of "trying to create hotspot"...

I am not sure if this is a contribution nonetheless my IT suggested sharing it as we don’t know the WiFi hardware Ultimaker is using.

There are downsides to not broadcasting your SSID, especially if you use a legacy computer. Windows 10 is pretty good at Wi-Fi networking and can hold a connection to a network regardless of whether you broadcast the SSID or not. Older versions of Windows, computers that use USB Wi-Fi adapters, some older phones and tablets do have trouble finding and holding networks without an SSID.”

Takes care 

And additionally, hiding a wifi SSID will not increase your security, it just makes problems in normal usage. A simple wifi scanner for free on a smartphone will still see and find your hidden SSID.

@Smithy & @Shadowman: Thanks for tuning in here. I can reassure you that the SSID is not hidden for "security" reasons. We decided to hide it, because we have a lot of customers coming in here and we want to have as little of our infrastructure visible on first glance as possible. Therefore broadcasting the SSID to get the printer in is not an option (if this would help at all).

Still searching for a solution, can't believe that a printer in this price range has problems with basic stuff like this.

You could make the SSID visible just for the setup of the printer and then hide it again. Not nice, but should work.

But on the other hand, I agree that the printer should be able to connect also to hidden SSIDs.

On 10/2/2018 at 1:30 PM, Capsaicin said:

What we tried so far: 

- restart UM (with Ethernet enabled/disabled, with USB-Stick and without USB stick)

- Setup from Laptop or Smartphone

- different browsers on laptop

Which browsers have you've tried? I remember that i had a similar problem back then with the UM3 and Firefox.
    I made a try with Internet Explorer and it worked flawless and at the first time.

I don't know, if it helps in your case, but a different browser can obviously make a difference.

On 11/9/2018 at 2:51 PM, tinkergnome said:

Which browsers have you've tried? I remember that i had a similar problem back then with the UM3 and Firefox.
    I made a try with Internet Explorer and it worked flawless and at the first time.

I don't know, if it helps in your case, but a different browser can obviously make a difference.

I tried it with multiple browser, including IE with the same result....

Same Problem with my UM5

I am also having the same problem on UM5.

same problem for me, SSID is NOT hidden.

Hello, thank you for your message. What problem? Please specify the behaviour of your machine / browser / what you expect it to do vs what is happening, otherwise people won't be able to help. Thanks. 

Brand new printer, S3, firmware updated.

Initialize the hotspot/wifi,

get the wifi from mobile, select one of my wifi home networks and put password.

Browser tells me setup process is finished and to go back to the printer...

Printer stays in "connecting" for hours ...  but it doesn't connect.

WIFI is based on ubiquiti, 2.5 and 5 ...

I will do some additional tests with newly created WIFI only 2.5 ... and let you know.

Also my current wifi name include a space and a "-" .... some devices had problem in the past... so i will do more tests and come back (now it is printing 🙂.

Ahh... ethernet connection works fine.

Edited by lbottan

The problem was in the WIFI name.

My wifi name was "xxxx - xxxx" ... apparently the "-" was preventing S3 to connect to it.

used now "_" and it work fine.

Also I remove the blank spaces...

Edited by lbottan

@lbottan thanks for your post! I can not test this as I'm not working at this site anymore,

but as far as I remember there was a "-" and blank spaces in the SSID.

Therefore your solution might very well apply to my problem as well...