Use custom Materials on Ultimaker S5

DomiF

Posted · Use custom Materials on Ultimaker S5

I'm trying to create profiles for custom materials in Cura But when I want to print with those profiles, Cura Connect asks the following:

image.thumb.png.01eb3d0676bfcb553f834d28193f8e20.png

image.png.cfb2a85634ce6d89cf3fd280e655dcb4.png

Since I inserted PLA and don't see a reason why the material should now be unknown, is this intended? Will I loose my warranty or what is the purpose of the message?

Is there a way to create custom profiles in the printer (not only in Cura) ?

You won't lose warranty as far as I know. Also note that if it's "just" a different type of PLA, there isn't any need to make custom profiles.

Cura connect doesn't have the full ability to handle new profiles yet (will get it in 5.1).

• 1 month later...

so i have a ton of material that is not ultimaker brand and has no RFID, however i am very familiar with it and have setup custom material profiles in cura.

the issue i am having is that when i load the material my custom material profile is not available to select so i have to pick a generic material profile which doesnt have the settings i want.

how do i get my custom material profile from cura into the printer so when i load new spools i can select the correct material and print with my settings and not have to do an over ride, which replaces my custom profile, with ultimakers generic profile?

thanks for any help

so i have a third party ABS, i should just select ABS in the printer, and use my custom material in Cura?

maybe i have this wrong, but it seems to ask for an override of material mismatch when i do this.

i will keep an eye on the specific behavior when i start up my print job.

would be a lot more clear / intuitive if the names of my custom materials would show up in the printer for me to select when i load a third party spool.

thanks for your help!

When the printer asks for override you probably have not ABS in the field material type of your custom profile.

i have selected ABS in the printer, and typed ABS into the material type field of the material information field in the materials manager in cura.

I have also change the brand from generic to my material supplier name.

the printer still asks to override material type PLA, even though in the printer it is selected as generic ABS and in the print job my custom abs material is selected.

i will go through all this a third time once my next print finishes, but it sure seems the workflow here could be made much simpler and more intuitive for non ultimaker materials.

of course the easy solution here is to use only ultimaker materials, I would love to use ultimaker filament exclusively, but it is so noncompetitive on price i just cant justify it. the quality and ease of use is great, but i have good, consistent results with high quality materials costing half as much from other brands.

If ultimaker ever gets the price down 20-30 percent i would likely start buying it even though it would still be significantly more expensive.

13 hours ago, twuelfing said:

so i have a third party ABS, i should just select ABS in the printer, and use my custom material in Cura?

Yup

39 minutes ago, twuelfing said:

i have selected ABS in the printer, and typed ABS into the material type field of the material information field in the materials manager in cura.

Did you also change the GUID of your custom material? If you duplicated it from PLA it will still have the same GUID as generic PLA.

4 minutes ago, nallath said:

Yup

Did you also change the GUID of your custom material? If you duplicated it from PLA it will still have the same GUID as generic PLA.

how do i check this?

and where do i log a request to make this much simpler to setup 3rd party materials without causing all this trouble.

thanks,

21 minutes ago, nallath said:

Good point, thanks @nallath , I updated my post and added this hint.

so another question,

1. still outstanding: how do you edit the GUID to the material type you want? i know i can duplicate from a similar material type, but that didn't happen when i made my materials as it was not clear such a thing existed, much less it needed to be changed. 

2. how do you delete a custom material? there is a remove button but its always inactive.

thanks for all the fast help!

2 minutes ago, twuelfing said:

how do you delete a custom material? there is a remove button but its always inactive.

If the "remove" button is inactive, that means that the material is in use in a printer in Cura. Make sure to check all the extruders to see if the material you want to remove is not the active material.

4 minutes ago, twuelfing said:

how do you edit the GUID to the material type you want?

This can only be done with a text editor I am afraid. If you duplicate a material, it will have the same GUID as the material you duplicated from. There should then be an "Unlink" button, which will create an entirely new GUID. But there is no way to directly edit the GUID (or copy it from another material) in Cura at the moment.

1 minute ago, ahoeben said:

This can only be done with a text editor 

bummer, ok I will redo my custom materials, this seems like a great opportunity for some improvement to CURA as this is for sure not a user friendly procedure.

thanks for all your help!

Posted (edited) · Use custom Materials on Ultimaker S5

Small python tool that helps adding 3rd party material to Ultimaker S5 on-display material type selection.

https://github.com/flyinggorilla/ultimaker-s5

I do like the NFC enabled Ultimaker filaments and I am impressed how easy printing with the Ultimaker S5 can be. However, ordering filament through third party vendors is always a challenge, because they usually have only a fraction of filaments in their stores. Also do my use cases go beyond Ultimaker filament material types. So i complement Ultimaker material now primarily with FormFutura material (they have a great online store, and DimaFix is a great adhesion liquid). Just for completeness, material cost is not the key reason for me to use 3rd party material, as NFC comfort is absolutely worth the money. 

So this tool is using the S5 REST interface to upload .fdm_material types. You can create materials in Cura, but those dont work due to wrong machine name. The tool checks for that and tells you to fix it in the .fdm_material definition. 

However, once you have the material on the printer and in cura with the same material name, then you dont get the warning of incompatible materials anymore.

@Ultimaker what really would be helpful is a description of the XML schema, especially the various settings attributes as the Cura documentation is not sufficient. e.g. settings like retract compensation, surface energy, adhesion tendency, flow sensor detection margin and retract compensation, … and for sure more are not documented. At least i couldn't find the doc. 

Thanks for creating such great printers and great Cura software. 

FG

display_materialtype.jpg

Edited by flyinggorilla
    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1

Most of the "weird" settings (surface energy, adhesion tendency) are used only with quality profiles. So these only matter if you duplicate a profile.

FDMMaterials does have a XSD schema that validates if the .xml.fdm_material has at least the right format.

Hello,

what do you mean by "quality profile"?

I still do not understand what are the parameters "surface energy" "adhesion tendency" etc.

Thank you

(Google Translate)

42 minutes ago, Guillaume777 said:

what do you mean by "quality profile"?

Quality profiles are (more or less) configuration files with predefined settings for a given combination of printer, variant and material.

Here are the ones that already exists:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/tree/master/resources/quality

• Like 1

Does anyone know what the "surface energy" and "adhesion tendency" parameters affect? I assume that Cura uses the input value to calculate another parameter (e.g., a temperature, speed, acceleration, or jerk setting), but nowhere can I find how the parameters are used by the Cura algorithm. Given that Cura is open source, it is weird how much more opaque it is than Simplify3D, whose customer support will explain exactly how any user-set parameter is used by the software.

On 10/18/2018 at 1:53 PM, nallath said:

Cura connect doesn't have the full ability to handle new profiles yet (will get it in 5.1).

Any updates regarding new material profiles on the printer? My  UM3 is running firmware version 5.2. I don't see the point in material profiles in Cura if I can't send them to my printer (need to always manually override). 

Thanks

In addition to great Ultimaker material, I do use several FormFutura materials. Happily there is now on the Cura marketplace my favorite AppolloX material to download. However, for other materials I use my upload tool that pushes the material profile XML via HTTP to the printer. Dont know whether this works for UM3 too. Those material profiles are matched with the UUID in the XML between printer and cura. https://github.com/flyinggorilla/ultimaker-s5

• Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 8:37 PM, flyinggorilla said:

In addition to great Ultimaker material, I do use several FormFutura materials. Happily there is now on the Cura marketplace my favorite AppolloX material to download. However, for other materials I use my upload tool that pushes the material profile XML via HTTP to the printer. Dont know whether this works for UM3 too. Those material profiles are matched with the UUID in the XML between printer and cura. https://github.com/flyinggorilla/ultimaker-s5

Cura should already attempt to do that though.

@nallath also on the UM3 ? How can I force Cura to do it ? 

It should send them once you are connected. I'm not quite sure if it also allows you to select them on the UM3 though. The screen "realestate" is a bit more limited when compared to the s5 / s3