Simplify3d Ultimaker S5

simon-ber

Posted · Simplify3d Ultimaker S5

I don't think it's a good idea to use S3D with the S5. (I know that for the UM3 for example some stuff related to dual extrusion is handled better by Cura).

Anyway, obviously some things in the gcode are written in order to detect the profile used and printer etc... maybe try to generate a gcode with Cura and compare the information? (Most probably in the first few lines)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, simon-ber said:

Thanks. I have already tried the UM3 and um3 extended, it doesent work, 

Do you have an idea?

I think you have to change the header of the gcode to match a header generated by Cura. With the header (comments) the printer knows if this gcode is for a S5 or an UM3 and so on.

But I want to second DidierKlein's answer, Simplify 3D is not the best choice to use with an S5 (also not with an UM3) You have much more possibilities and power when using Cura with these printers.

• Like 1

This is working profiles for AA/AA cores and AA/BB cores. 0.4mm btw

1. Download the attached file and unzip.
  2. Open Simplify3D, go to File > Import FFF Profile, and navigate to the saved profile.  This will import the settings into the software.
  3. To start using these new settings, click Edit Process Settings, and the choose the new entry at the very bottom of the Select Profile drop down list.
  4. After creating your .gcode file, import the gcode into Ultimaker Cura then click save. This will create your UFP file which can be printed on the S5.

Simplify3D_S5.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited) · Simplify3d Ultimaker S5
On 10/29/2018 at 5:37 AM, Smithy said:

...But I want to second DidierKlein's answer, Simplify 3D is not the best choice to use with an S5 (also not with an UM3) You have much more possibilities and power when using Cura with these printers.....

Really?   can you tell me how to have different fill densities for each part when printing multiple parts in the same run?  Or how to have the machine print focused on a single part before it goes to another?

I built my own machine 5 years ago (which is so similar to the S5 that it is spooky) and tried all the free slicers available at the time, including Cura.  Once I tried S3D, it was an easy choice to pay the very reasonable license fee, and I've never been sorry.
Recently my company bought an S5 Pro for my lab (which is why I'm here).  I'm VERY disappointed with Cura, you'd think they would have improved it by now.

Edited by bmonroe
I can spell, I just cant type :)
  • Like 1

I was in exact the same situation, Building 3d printers, and found my "heaven" in S3D. I hated Cura, because there where so many things missing. But now, in the current status, (UM2, UM3, UM S5), with the current Cura, it works so good!!! For professional use, there is almost no tinkering, just plug and play. Yes S3D is surely better in some ways, but the package Cura + Ultimaker works almost flawlessly.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RudydG said:

But now, in the current status, (UM2, UM3, UM S5), with the current Cura, it works so good!!! For professional use, there is almost no tinkering, just plug and play. Yes S3D is surely better in some ways, but the package Cura + Ultimaker works almost flawlessly.

Oh, it's FULL of flaws.  How about, not having control over where support goes?  or being able to select the lateral distance support is from the model?!?  Add those to the things I've already listed.
Ultimaker's flavor of Cura is pitiful.  SO SLOW!!!!   takes forever to purge, set height, and table level it's frustrating..  the table is mechanically level, turn off the auto-level!  And spewing the purge all over the inside of the machine, later trapping it under the table.  I had a Stratasys machine 20 years ago that caught all the purge in a box to be easily emptied later.  I shamelessly copied that for my personal machine.
It'll take some time to get the FFFs right but I'm wholesale changing R&D machine at work to S3D.

• Like 2

Dual Extrusion is not very well implemented in S3D in my opinion, it works but it is not funny to do it. Beside that, Cura has all features for the S-line printers included, so using a different slicer is for sure possible, but you gave up a lot of possibilities and comfort. 

I am with you that Cura is not as fast as S3D but it is not so bad that it is not useable. I tried S3D but came back to Cura, I prefer a seamless integration and features to get the full benefit of my printers.

On the other hand, it seems that S3D is dead, they talk ages about the version 5, that it will come soon, but nothing. I also don't like that the company deletes forum posts when someone is not happy with the product. So even when the really launch version 5, I will not give it a try. When there are bugs, you can bet, that it takes again ages until they are fixed.

Just my 2 cents and YMMV.

8 hours ago, Smithy said:

Dual Extrusion is not very well implemented in S3D in my opinion, it works but it is not funny to do it. Beside that, Cura has all features for the S-line printers included, so using a different slicer is for sure possible, but you gave up a lot of possibilities and comfort. 

I am with you that Cura is not as fast as S3D but it is not so bad that it is not useable. I tried S3D but came back to Cura, I prefer a seamless integration and features to get the full benefit of my printers.

On the other hand, it seems that S3D is dead, they talk ages about the version 5, that it will come soon, but nothing. I also don't like that the company deletes forum posts when someone is not happy with the product. So even when the really launch version 5, I will not give it a try. When there are bugs, you can bet, that it takes again ages until they are fixed.

Just my 2 cents and YMMV.

Ok, if you're the type that struggles to set the clock on your microwave, UM's flavor of Cura is for you.  But you're flat wrong about S3D not handling dual extruders well.  My son and I both have dual machines (mine is similar to UM's - his is dual directs sharing the Xaxis. )   S3D handles them both quite well, which is yet another reason we use it.
    Cura isn't slow, UM made it that way...
    Features?  you gotta be kidding me..  I already listed some things it won't do... there are others.

• Like 1

As said, YMMV and luckily there is more than one slicer so everyone can choose the one which fits best.

For real UM printers I still believe Cura is the best option and you get the best workflow.

And btw I have no problems to the the clock on my microwave 😜

Hello,

it may not be exactly what you're looking for but I have some suggestions;

On 8/8/2020 at 4:33 PM, bmonroe said:

having control over where support goes?

Did you know about the support blocker to eliminate areas from support? You can also import other meshes and via Per Model Settings you can print it as support. 

On 8/8/2020 at 4:33 PM, bmonroe said:

being able to select the lateral distance support is from the model

We have a feature called Support distance X/Y and Support distance Z. You can find them via the search bar. Is this what you're looking for?

We did chose to make some steps mandatory at the start of a print, like active leveling. We've already made it faster and we'll continue to see if it can be optimized. But this is a small price we think is fair to pay for reliability. A good adhered first layer is essential for a successful print. 

We just launched Ultimaker Cura 4.7 BETA, I would like to invite you to give it a try. The thread is monitored by our developers so feedback you'll give goes straight to the source. You can find it here.

Have a great day,

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SandervG said:

We did chose to make some steps mandatory at the start of a print, like active leveling. We've already made it faster and we'll continue to see if it can be optimized. But this is a small price we think is fair to pay for reliability. A good adhered first layer is essential for a successful print. 

We just launched Ultimaker Cura 4.7 BETA, I would like to invite you to give it a try. The thread is monitored by our developers so feedback you'll give goes straight to the source. You can find it here.

I'll take a look at the beta as soon as I can.

as far as auto-leveling goes..  set aside that nothing is actually being leveled.   I'm disappointed there isn't an option to skip it entirely.   It was useful back in the Reprap days for those weak unreliable homebrews but UMs beds (at least the S5) are robust and mechanically adjustable.  For me, having it checked every run is basically admitting you don't trust it.. and I think it's trustworthy.
    My own machine has a very similar table as the S5 now.  It's a little beefier but I'm not trying to make a profit selling machine so I can get away with it 🙂   Years ago I used 3 screws diven with 3 seperate motors (NEMA23s!) which actually auto leveled.  They worked fine but were never needed, the table mechanism was so over built that it stayed level even with time and temperature changes.  I've not used multiple screws since.

No one is saying that it is not possible to level it manually (if auto-level could be disabled). But people are (generally speaking) inherently lazy and often in a rush, so it is a matter of time before a manual level is skipped and a failed print + potential damage will be the result. Which is something we feel very passionate about to prevent. 

I disagree that it reflects a lack of trust from our end in our bed, we just rather ensure people having a good 3D printing experience. Not often, but sometimes this means taking a little bit of freedom away for the exchange of reliability and security. Between flexibility and reliability is a very thin line that has best of both worlds and we're trying to find a good balance there. 

Edit: I should also add that active leveling also compensates for inconsistencies in glass plates. So if you were to swap out glass plate 1 for 2, you don't need to relevel, and if there would be any curvature inherent in the glass plates, it is compensated for straight away.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 5:51 AM, SandervG said:

but sometimes this means taking a little bit of freedom away for the exchange of reliability and security.

Reminds me of a quote by a famous American paraphrased "Those who trade freedom for security deserve neither"
    Just use whatever defaults you want but let us use our machines how we please! Honestly I could fix half of the issues with my machine myself if I had more access to the firmware. Every update seems to break how I use my machine (latest introducing an error when I leave my NFC spool holder unplugged because most 3d party materials don't fit on it anyways so I made my own)
    and its getting super old.

9 hours ago, tabiznet said:

Reminds me of a quote by a famous American paraphrased "Those who trade freedom for security deserve neither"
    Just use whatever defaults you want but let us use our machines how we please! Honestly I could fix half of the issues with my machine myself if I had more access to the firmware. Every update seems to break how I use my machine (latest introducing an error when I leave my NFC spool holder unplugged because most 3d party materials don't fit on it anyways so I made my own)
    and its getting super old.

That is a nice quote, it doesn't really apply but I get what you are trying to say. For the most part, you can use the machine how you want. We have an open filament system, you are not bound to our slicer or preconfigured profiles and we've also been quite supportive to various modifications. But as I said earlier, we intend to offer best of both worlds between reliability and flexibility. Reliability is often taken for granted, until it is gone. 

What error message are you getting regarding the NFC? Your profile says you have an Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle, but if you have a Material Station, you shouldn't be using an NFC spool holder, right? 

On 8/10/2020 at 11:00 PM, bmonroe said:

Cura isn't slow, UM made it that way...

I think it's the other way around; I've been spending quite a bit of time to speed Cura up (it's even to the point that I'm getting a bit of a reputation in the team for finding bottlenecks)

On 8/11/2020 at 4:59 PM, bmonroe said:

It was useful back in the Reprap days for those weak unreliable homebrews but UMs beds (at least the S5) are robust and mechanically adjustable.  For me, having it checked every run is basically admitting you don't trust it.. and I think it's trustworthy.

The bed deforms a bit once it's hot. Since it doesn't deform exactly the same every time, the bed leveling needs to be done every time. It has little to do with trust. The UM3 doesn't have that problem, since the bed is a lot smaller. Could that problem have been fixed in another way? Yeah, probably. Almost every problem can be fixed in multiple ways, but not all of them are economical / feasible.

• Like 1

Thank you for that explanation. Everything else sounded very strange.

It only leads to the fact that people will eventually come across a quote from Benjamin Franklin (of freedom and security) and buy another printer.

Good to read that I can keep my S5 printer.

An incentive to switch off the automatic leveling system

- Not all filaments are printed with hot printing bed.
    - For small parts with a small footprint this feature is not really needed.
    - On composite plates and plate systems(?) the thermal distortion is lower.
    - People want to print on existing parts and fixtures.

5 hours ago, SandervG said:

That is a nice quote, it doesn't really apply but I get what you are trying to say. For the most part, you can use the machine how you want. We have an open filament system, you are not bound to our slicer or preconfigured profiles and we've also been quite supportive to various modifications. But as I said earlier, we intend to offer best of both worlds between reliability and flexibility. Reliability is often taken for granted, until it is gone. 

What error message are you getting regarding the NFC? Your profile says you have an Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle, but if you have a Material Station, you shouldn't be using an NFC spool holder, right? 

Considering half of the materials on the marketplace aren't supported by the material station it's been acting primarily as a $3500 drybox. I primarily print with ASA, PETG, PLA+, Zytel and only the pla+ works with the material station because I'm using a duplicate material profile based on generic PLA.

And no it absolutely applies. "but sometimes this means taking a little bit of freedom away for the exchange of reliability and security." reads like "Our users are too stupid for us to give them access to anything actually useful" which is pretty much how Apple treats its users vs pretty much everyone else. The last 2 firmware updates have actually removed features I was using. Why dont you release the source for the S5 firmware so I can put them back myself and fix a few other major irritants? It would keep me off of the forum at least.

Hi, we absolutely don't think our users are stupid and they have access to plenty of useful features and configurable options. As Nallath also added to the discussion a few comments above, there are also other reasons active leveling is recommended. It does not only compensate a flat horizontal offset, it can also compensate for a curvature. 

If you prefer to roll back to a previous firmware version, let me know and I can share the links with you towards the file so you can install it via your USB. 

If you have any constructive feedback concerning our firmware, like bugs you've discovered or feature requests, I would like to invite you to create a new thread in our firmware thread which is also monitored by our developers. Thank you! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SandervG said:

Hi, we absolutely don't think our users are stupid and they have access to plenty of useful features and configurable options. As Nallath also added to the discussion a few comments above, there are also other reasons active leveling is recommended. It does not only compensate a flat horizontal offset, it can also compensate for a curvature. 

But you dont give us access to the most important features, like being able to compile and load our own firmware. Something all of your previous models allowed us to do (Except maybe the 3 I skipped that generation)
    That reeks of "we dont wanna deal with RMA's from stupid people who brick their machines"

I cant think of a single valid reason as to why you'd do so other than that. Stop protecting me from myself, I paid $10k for this hardware and it's mine. Let me use it how I want