cthompto

PLA + Breakaway Surface Quality Issues

Posted · PLA + Breakaway Surface Quality Issues

I am trying to implement Breakaway in an academic maker space and I am running into some issues with surface quality.

To start:

I am using a UM3 with Ultimaker brand PLA and Breakaway. The machine being used for the test is serviced on a monthly basis and has no other issues.

Slicer settings:

(Default for Cura if not stated)

Layer height: .1

Infill: 40%

Model Extruder: Extruder 1 (PLA)

Support Extruder: Extruder 2 (Breakaway)

Support Z distance: .1

Prime Tower: Enabled

I came to these settings after looking through the forums on topics related to Breakaway but my search didn't lead me to anyone with my same issue.

Here is an example of the surface issue:

IMG_5659.thumb.jpeg.6e741ff2dd50916bd6e5fdbf7ac366ff.jpeg

The area on the top of the print is what I am concerned about. In all the test prints I have done, this surface warping has occurred to some extent. I have tried Support Z distances between .1 and .3 with prime towers on each print and this continues to happen.

Has anyone else had this issue? The rest of the print looks great and I would really love to solve this so that we could use it in our space.

Thanks!

IMG_5659.jpeg

I don't have a dual nozzle printer, so just guessing:

When using dedicated support materials like breakaway or PVA, shouldn't the gap between support and model be zero? So that they are squeezed well together for a good bonding?

Maybe you could try this on a couple of small test pieces?

@geert_2

I will give that a try, I have tried these tests now on two machines and I get roughly the same result so it seems like a slicing issue. Thanks for your input!

Hi,

we are also facing similar problems. In our case added to a bad surface finish it seems that the breakaway penetrates the model. Then when we retire the material it leaves holes, as you can see in the pictures.

We use the standard values in Cura 3.6.0, no changes.

We are going to try reducing the temp of breakaway: std is 225C, we will try with 220C

20190502_124728 HOLES.jpg

IMG_2335 BAD SURFACE.jpg