Ultimaker Cura 4.1 beta

Guest maht

Guest maht
Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.1 beta

We’ve just released a beta of Ultimaker Cura 4.1, and we’ve added some improvements based on your feedback:

- Collapsible panels introduced in the new interface are now completely draggable and can be positioned anywhere on the screen

- Badge notifications have been added to the Ultimaker Marketplace so you know when your packages need to be updated

- You can now add separate brims to prime towers

- We’ve also made some stability fixes with the monitor page

Find the update blog here: https://ultimaker.com/en/blog/52884-try-new-3d-printing-software-features-in-ultimaker-cura-41-beta

Help us out by downloading today, testing, and logging any feedback in this thread or on GitHub for us to integrate into the stable release.

Firmware 5.2 hotfix update!

In other news, we released a hotfix firmware that addresses issues encountered in the firmware 5.2 release. We appreciate your patience and understanding while we’ve been investigating the issues that some of you reported.

Download the hotfix here: ultimaker.com/firmware

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 4.1 beta

Initial report:

Adding via IP in the new dialog fails connect to the printer.

Adding via old "connect via network" button fails to do anything after you enter the IP - which is less functional than before. 

New print via cloud button works. 

Networked enabled printer was eventually (2/3mins) auto discovered in the new dialog, but there was no indication this was happening. It may have also only suddenly appeared after the first "print via cloud".

Edited by Sassw

As an update, Firmware 5.2 hotfix failed to install (stuck halfway for 1 hour) - upon reboot my S5 is bricked.

Edited by Sassw

26 minutes ago, Sassw said:

As an update, Firmware 5.2 hotfix failed to install (stuck halfway for 1 hour) - upon reboot my S5 is bricked.

Hi Sassw, what steps did you do to install the firmware (from what version did you update, USB or over internet?) In what state does the S5 fail when you now boot your printer?

18 hours ago, Sassw said:

Adding via IP in the new dialog fails connect to the printer.

Hi Sassw, what do you mean with "fails". When open the "Add printer by IP" dialog, and enter the IP, then click "Add" you should get information of your printer, then click "Connect"

Which step does it fail?

Could you check if the IP you are adding is discoverable in your network (ping)?

Which printer are you using?

18 hours ago, Sassw said:

Adding via old "connect via network" button fails to do anything after you enter the IP - which is less functional than before. 

Again, what do you mean with "fails to do anything"? Does Cura freezes? Please give us some more info.

39 minutes ago, DiegoPG said:

Hi Sassw, what do you mean with "fails". When open the "Add printer by IP" dialog, and enter the IP, then click "Add" you should get information of your printer, then click "Connect"

Which step does it fail?

Could you check if the IP you are adding is discoverable in your network (ping)?

Which printer are you using?

Again, what do you mean with "fails to do anything"? Does Cura freezes? Please give us some more info.

I was using a Ultimaker S5.

The IP was accessible from the machine, but the network topology is printer on VLAN with web access to Laptop over isolated Wifi (eduroam).

When I clicked into the add printer by IP dialog it did not show any printers. 

Using the old method allowed you to enter the IP, but then it does not save the entry and does not connect. 

After I did a cloud print the printer appeared in the add new printer auto-discovery.

I can no longer test, as hotfix 5.2 firmware update that the printer prompted has bricked the printer and it needs to be sent back to a service center. 

1 hour ago, WesleyE said:

Hi Sassw, what steps did you do to install the firmware (from what version did you update, USB or over internet?) In what state does the S5 fail when you now boot your printer?

A user followed the update firmware prompt on the printer. - So via network.

The ultimaker logo appears, the LCD flickers full white and then it just sits on LCD backlight on with a black screen.

I have never had a "clean" firmware install on a S5 yet; they always hang.

It was on the latest firmware before 5.2 hotfix, I don't know if you roll releases - is there a way to find out easily?

I would like to fix this here if at all possible; done it a few times on UM3.

Edited by Sassw

Have you already tried to power cycle the printer? 

There was a bug in former firmware releases, that when you try to update to a new firmware via the popup notification on the display, that the update fails. But it doesn't brick the printer. So a reboot and then do the update again from the maintenance menu, is working normally.

1 hour ago, Sassw said:

The IP was accessible from the machine, but the network topology is printer on VLAN with web access to Laptop over isolated Wifi (eduroam).

When I clicked into the add printer by IP dialog it did not show any printers. 

I guess the problem is that your printer is in a separate VLAN. 

As far as I know, Cura uses Bonjour service to locate your printer on the network, but the Bonjour protocol does not work across different VLANs. 

But manual adding the printer should always work because Bonjour is only used for locating not for sending the jobs to the printer.

36 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Have you already tried to power cycle the printer? 

There was a bug in former firmware releases, that when you try to update to a new firmware via the popup notification on the display, that the update fails. But it doesn't brick the printer. So a reboot and then do the update again from the maintenance menu, is working normally.

Yes, as far as I can see the power cycle has caused the brick. 

35 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I guess the problem is that your printer is in a separate VLAN. 

As far as I know, Cura uses Bonjour service to locate your printer on the network, but the Bonjour protocol does not work across different VLANs. 

But manual adding the printer should always work because Bonjour is only used for locating not for sending the jobs to the printer.

Yes, I was not expecting auto discovery to work - however adding by IP should work (it did not, the IP address was valid and contactable.

In any case the extended cloud features resolved these issues i.e. printing via cloud now works as you would expect i.e. a new button appears in Cura, not just "print via network" but print via cloud that works nicely. (yey!)

Interestingly monitoring via cura 4.1 over cloud disables the webcam. i.e. you cant view webcam over the cloud yet.

I just noticed using this beta a "build volume temperature" option between "default printing temp" and "printing temp", so at the second spot.

Some options below there also are the old 3 options for the bed temperature, so what is that one for? It is at 35°C..

We are getting the bricked S5 replaced on Friday, so UM and the service provider can investigate.

Print via cloud working very well on Cura 4.1.

Seems to slice faster now. Have not run first print with 4.1 operations.

3 hours ago, Sassw said:

Yes, I was not expecting auto discovery to work - however adding by IP should work (it did not, the IP address was valid and contactable.

In any case the extended cloud features resolved these issues i.e. printing via cloud now works as you would expect i.e. a new button appears in Cura, not just "print via network" but print via cloud that works nicely. (yey!)

Interestingly monitoring via cura 4.1 over cloud disables the webcam. i.e. you cant view webcam over the cloud yet.

Great to hear that the cloud printing setup works better for you now.

The webcam feature is indeed not available yet over cloud, as are some other options, like mutating the print queue. We are constantly working on improving cloud features though so I think it's a matter of time before those are added.

I tested yesterday it cannot use with Octoprint.

What do you mean with "it cannot use with Octoprint"? 

Because the Octoprint plugin is not working anymore?

Cura itself cannot communicate with Octoprint, but there is a plugin to send sliced files to Octoprint. Normally the plugins have to be adopted for new Cura versions, so due to the fact that Cura 4.1 is beta, a working version of the plugin will be released latest when Cura 4.1 is released. But @ahoeben is normally faster than light and you will see a  working version soon.

• Like 2

I installed Octoprint Connection 3.5.4 on 4.1 successful but cannot find Connect Octoprint in manage printer dialog. On 4.0 work fine. 

In the plugin itself there is a check whether the current version of Cura is between the maximum and minimum that is set in the plugin. In the current version of the OctoPrint plugin it states that minimum supported version is 3.5 and maximum supported version is 4.0.

So the plugin is loaded correctly in Cura but the plugin itself refuses to load. This is a check that @ahoeben adds to all of his plugins, instead of rely on the SDK version (personal decision, I guess).

I've already sent and email to him informing about this. 

Thanks for the report!

• Like 1

A prerelease version of the OctoPrint Plugin for Cura 4.1 can be dowloaded here:

http://files.fieldofview.com/cura/OctoPrintPlugin-v6.1.0-2019-05-16T10_29_36Z.curapackage

Please drop the downloaded file into a running Cura application window, and restart Cura.

Unless issues are reported with this version of the plugin, it should be available as an update on the Marketplace soon.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DiegoPG said:

So the plugin is loaded correctly in Cura but the plugin itself refuses to load. This is a check that @ahoeben adds to all of his plugins, instead of rely on the SDK version (personal decision, I guess).

If @ahoeben did not do this (to *some* of his plugins), every user upgrading from Cura 4.0 to Cura 4.1 with the OctoPrint Connection plugin installed would have been greeted with a crash dialog with the option to kill all their settings, because once again this SDK update was messed up like it has been many times in the past. Please don't suggest that I do this "out of a personal decision". Time and time again this has proven to be a necessity. 

Edited by ahoeben
    • Like 2

Thank you it worked. But after restore latest backup software crash! everything gone. I choose some old backup can go back but not complete restore. 

When printing 2 colors why does it go to the prime tower first and do a complete layer before it goes to the actual print?

So that the priming tower and model are at the same height.

hello partners, with the latest beta, find in options of advanced profile settings of the printer as to be able to adjust the steps of the extruder, from the own cure the steps could be adjusted to be able to install a kit extruder bondtech.  thank you