Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Ultimaker S5: Stuck "Changing Material" "PAUSED"


Recommended Posts

Posted · Ultimaker S5: Stuck "Changing Material" "PAUSED"

I tried to change my material this morning because I have a 9 day print that's 2 days away from being done.  But now it's stuck on 'paused' despite material being in the loading bay.

 

I feel like I need to somehow 'reboot' it to wake it up, but obviously I don't want to mess up the print that's paused.  Is there anything I can do?

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker S5: Stuck "Changing Material" "PAUSED"

    A bit more context in case it helps:

     

    The ultimaker S5 says: "Changing material: paused". The ... menu has 'pause' greyed out, abort is available and tune, but I don't want to abort and tune doesn't seem to let me do anything to get me out of my current state.

     

    If I go to the material station UI on the printer, it shows an exclamation mark over the material I want to use, clicking on it it says "Material spool is empty".  All the UI buttons are greyed out (which is a shame; I would love a "retry" or something here)

     

    If I look at the material station itself, my spool is sitting there with around 1kg of material, and the material is loaded.  There's a blue light on the '1' for where I feed the material into it.  Clicking the button does nothing - it doesn't unload nor try to load further.

     

    I'm not sure what to do.  I feel like power cycling the unit would probably fix things, but then I'd lose the previous kilo of material I spent on this thing plus almost two weeks of time.  Please help. :(

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker S5: Stuck "Changing Material" "PAUSED"

    First thing I would try. is to cut the material and remove it from the "Bowden" tubing.

     

    Cut the material at the material bay inserting point, then I would un-clip the tube from the extruder end and remove the material from the tubes.

     

    I would then, put another material of the same type into a different material station bay, load it and make sure the printer identifies it as the correct material (same as data sent by "CURA").

     

    Then wait a few minutes to see if the print starts again (give in 10 mins min).

     

    If the printer doesn't resume, it may need power down and restarting.

     

    I suspect the material has got "stuck" somehow and the printer thinks it's "out of material".

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker S5: Stuck "Changing Material" "PAUSED"
    18 hours ago, eddieparker said:

    I tried to change my material this morning because I have a 9 day print that's 2 days away from being done.  But now it's stuck on 'paused' despite material being in the loading bay.

     

    I feel like I need to somehow 'reboot' it to wake it up, but obviously I don't want to mess up the print that's paused.  Is there anything I can do?

     

    Can you also tell us, is it Ultimaker material (with NFC) or is it? 3rd party? and what firmware version is the printer running on? I agree with @carbon that changing bays might be the best option for now. Or does that not help? 

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker S5: Stuck "Changing Material" "PAUSED"

    Thanks for the replies!

     

    I ended up clipping the material and removing it, and it still thinks the spool is "out".  I've moved the spool to another bay and still nothing, although I've only given it 5 minutes.  I'll try for 10 now.

     

    It is non ultimaker material.  The firmware is 6.2.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker S5: Stuck "Changing Material" "PAUSED"

    In case it helps here's some pictures. Originally the filament was in the empty bay, but I've moved it over to the second from the left and tagged it as CPE (the material I'm trying to use).  You'll note the empty bay is still blue and the screen on the ultimaker is still complaining about bay 3.

    16170417944052888136430742667262.jpg

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker S5: Stuck "Changing Material" "PAUSED"

    I really wish there was a "soft reboot" or something.  Some way of telling the U5 "Hey, rescan for material please", or a way to manually tell it to choose what bay to use.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker S5: Stuck "Changing Material" "PAUSED"

    Support told me I had to reset the ultimaker so I did that.  Now it's just blinking lights for the last hour but not booting up. :(

     

    Any tips or tricks to get out of this?  I'd like to restart my print if so.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5: Stuck "Changing Material" "PAUSED"

    When you press / click on the "Blue button" (touch screen) for bay C, what does it say?

     

     

    Edited by Carbon
  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker S5: Stuck "Changing Material" "PAUSED"
    15 hours ago, eddieparker said:

    I really wish there was a "soft reboot" or something.  Some way of telling the U5 "Hey, rescan for material please", or a way to manually tell it to choose what bay to use.

     

    Sometimes that would work, but not in the case when there is material stuck within the Material Station for instance.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker S5: Stuck "Changing Material" "PAUSED"
    11 hours ago, eddieparker said:

    Support told me I had to reset the ultimaker so I did that.  Now it's just blinking lights for the last hour but not booting up. 😞

     

    Any tips or tricks to get out of this?  I'd like to restart my print if so.

     

    I am afraid the existing print is lost. I also think it's a good idea to contact support again and send them the logfiles. We need to investigate what's going on here. 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker S5: Stuck "Changing Material" "PAUSED"

    Wow that really sucks that you just lost hundreds of dollars of material and and 7 days of print time due to ultimaker's sh***y UI. I'm angry just reading this thread. Why they haven't added a simple error clear function or refresh button is beyond me. Power cycling should never be relied on as a feature. It is baffling to me for a machine with a $10k price tag. 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker S5: Stuck "Changing Material" "PAUSED"
    On 3/30/2021 at 2:32 AM, sj3fk3 said:

     

    I am afraid the existing print is lost. I also think it's a good idea to contact support again and send them the logfiles. We need to investigate what's going on here. 

    Thanks.  Unfortunately I've lost the logs since I flashed the firmware since.  It did one successfuly print after I flashed it, then it gave me an error code as some filament got wrapped around the Z axis threaded rod, I removed it but it didn't quit complaining so I power cycled it, and then it bricked again. :(

     

    I'm just finishing flashing it again.  

     

    Unrelated note: are there any micro SD card extensions I can use with the Ultimaker S5?  Having to tear apart the station to turn it upside to flash it is a bit scary given how big of a unit it is - I'd rather if I could have the micro SD more accessible, especially if flashing is going to be more common. :(

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker S5: Stuck "Changing Material" "PAUSED"
    5 hours ago, eddieparker said:

    Thanks.  Unfortunately I've lost the logs since I flashed the firmware since.  It did one successfuly print after I flashed it, then it gave me an error code as some filament got wrapped around the Z axis threaded rod, I removed it but it didn't quit complaining so I power cycled it, and then it bricked again. 😞

     

    I'm just finishing flashing it again.  

     

    Unrelated note: are there any micro SD card extensions I can use with the Ultimaker S5?  Having to tear apart the station to turn it upside to flash it is a bit scary given how big of a unit it is - I'd rather if I could have the micro SD more accessible, especially if flashing is going to be more common. 😞

     

    Ah, yes I think some of our debug setups have these extensions on the SD card. However it is far from normal to have to use them. When you say "bricked" what exactly do you mean? Because a black display or a stuck boot (with the Ultimaker logo) does not mean it is bricked perse. Also it might be a good idea to turn on dev-mode and ssh. That way you can get "into" the machine if you think something is fishy and you might be able to type something like "reboot" and have the system restart itself.

     

    I'll ask one of the engineers to comment on what the use to extend the SD reader as I haven't done it myself.  

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    • Our picks

      • Ultimaker Transformation Summit

        On April 20 - April 23 we will host the Ultimaker Transformation Summit. Come talk to us via Live chat and get inspired by any of our relevant presentations!
        • 6 replies
      • New here? Register your Ultimaker for free 3D printer onboarding course
        Hi,
         
        Often getting started is the most difficult part of any process. A good start sets you up for success and saves you time and energy that could be spent elsewhere. That is why we have a onboarding course ready for
        Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle, Ultimaker S5, Ultimaker S3 Ultimaker 2+ Connect.   
        They're ready for you on the Ultimaker Academy platform. All you need to do to gain access is to register your product to gain free access. 
        Ready? Register your product here in just 60 seconds.
          • Like
        • 0 replies
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...