Wire print

pm_dude

wooooow i want this ! please make it in cura ^))))

I'll have to look into that for sure. I have no clue when but I'll hit my head on it at some point... :)

I think Joris beat them to it:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:257327

Thats pretty nice. The only problem with stuff like this for the UM2 is the z clearence. Only the tip of the nozzle stick out so it would limit z movement to something like 5mm or so.

I made a prototype of this 12-14 months ago. It worked pretty decent on an Ultimaker.

I'm thinking to make this work in Cura. Do you mind sharing what you tried already?

My goal would be to set a mode in the black magic section with minimal settings for z clearance and some tolerance. I would want to not require the user to have to re-mesh the object.

Now, I'm saying all this but I have not looked at the Cura Engine side yet. I'll have to get into that.

What I had was little more then hand writen g-code. But they did solve one of the problems I had. In my PoC, I let the nozzle go up in the Z direction, retracted, let it hover above the line with the fans on. At that point I started with the diagonal line. It was quite difficult to get the vertical & diagonal line to stick to eachother.

I think that this could also work very well with only diagonal & horizontal lines.

Cool stuff. If you can, pm_dude, make it happen! Would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking to get rid of the diagonal lines and keep only horizontal and vertical. I don't know the UM Original enough to say it if it would be a big challenge for the z movements but now that the new build plate kit is available it can be resolved :)

Anyhow, I'll start digging into this soon. It will take a while before getting anything out but I'll keep everyone in the loop.

Posted · Wire print

Some minor bugs caused the front-end to crash every time. This is fixed now and will probably be released next week in Cura 15.06.02.

Note that the layer view cannot handle wire prints, with their loads of Z moves. While developing I used http://chilipeppr.com/tinyg for viewing the resulting gcode.

Also don't be overwhelmed by the shitload of settings for wire printing. Just use the defaults (when using an Ultimaker 2).

You can control the density/accuracy/layerheight of the net structure with the 'Wire Print Connection Height' setting.

When tweaking, start with the 'fall down' and 'drag along' settings (for 'Wire Printing Strategy' = [Compensate]).

Posted · Wire print

Some minor bugs caused the front-end to crash every time. This is fixed now and will probably be released next week in Cura 15.06.02.

Note that the layer view cannot handle wire prints, with their loads of Z moves. While developing I used http://chilipeppr.com/tinyg for viewing the resulting gcode.

Also don't be overwhelmed by the shitload of settings for wire printing. Just use the defaults (when using an Ultimaker 2).

You can control the density/accuracy/layerheight of the net structure with the 'Wire Print Connection Height' setting.

When tweaking, start with the 'fall down' and 'drag along' settings (for 'Wire Printing Strategy' = [Compensate]).

I will try it out. thanks!

Posted (edited) · Wire print

With my UMO with HBK, I have to set the Wire Print Flow to something like 200-300% to get any print at all when I have the Wire Printint option enabled.

It looks like my prints could do with a pause after "laying" the vertical lines, but Wire Printing Top Delay setting does not seem to change the generated gcode at all, no matter what I set it to.

Edit: Weirdest noises I've ever heard my printer make...

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · Wire print

Wire Printing Top Delay setting does not seem to change the generated gcode at all

It seems that top_delay is only added when the (non-default) Knot strategy is chosen. I don't know if this is intended. If it is, it should be documented.

Update: it is intended:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/CuraEngine/issues/224#issuecomment-124009592

Edited by Guest