general forum feedback

ultiarjan

Posted · general forum feedback

During the test phase, if not done yet, I would suggest that you not only test if it works correct. But also how it works incorrect. So, try to abuse it and try to crash it.

For example:

- Upload huge files or huge amounts of data.

- Try to spam and hack it.

- Random click on functions and buttons in fast order, or press all keyboard keys at once (often surprising how much programs crash on this).

- Upload wrong filetypes, or damaged files.

- Try to harass other people (with their knowledge and agreement of course).

- Try older and newer browsers (preferably including Pale Moon, a Firefox derivation that still uses the menubar).

- Try browsers with and without extensions (e.g. with "no-script" and anti-banner or anti-popup extensions).

- Try mobile devices.

- Try attacks with bots (only in a separate safe environment, not connected to anything else).

- Etc...

I don't know how it is at Ultimaker, but sometimes this aspect, "resistance against abuse and idiocy", is overlooked during development, because developers generally are sane and clever people who do things right. Otherwise they would not be capable of developing things. The problem is not the general public here either, which are also developers and clever technicians and hobyists. But the thing has to be foolproof against abuse from the rest too, like spammers, all sorts of bots, and harassing.

• Like 2

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We didn't have quite that much time to hammer all the entries with such a varied series of tests. I know for me, the biggest thing was ease of use, quick load time, pleasing to the eyes to view content and so on.

I think a lot of the technical testing you are suggesting is easily taken care of by the vendor, based on the widespread use of the software elsewhere.

Exactly, if you use a well respected 3rd party forum software you can be quite sure that they have covered most of the testing of basic functionality and abuse...and you can focus on customization, integration and use...instead of having to fight to keep in-house software floating :)

@sandervg this is great news. I am so happy for us. I also agree with @lepaul that "ease of use, quick load time, pleasing to the eyes to view content and so on" should be factored into the reboot. This site forum (and the UM site) is horrible on so many levels. I am so happy about this news. Is it too much to hope that you will be ditching this font too.

Posted (edited) · general forum feedback

@sandervg this is great news. I am so happy for us. I also agree with @lepaul that "ease of use, quick load time, pleasing to the eyes to view content and so on" should be factored into the reboot. This site forum (and the UM site) is horrible on so many levels. I am so happy about this news. Is it too much to hope that you will be ditching this font too.

I can't reveal the other platforms we tested (perhaps @Sandervg can)...but you'll be happy to know everything we sampled was really good.  And stuff you have seen on other sites, etc.  

Yes, this font is awful and the image upload process is archaic.   It'll get better!

Edited by Guest

@shurik and @lepaul, the 'hexagon' issue that was blocking you from downloading Cura will be fixed early November :)

@shurik and @lepaul, the 'hexagon' issue that was blocking you from downloading Cura will be fixed early November :)

Well it's not the free Ultimaker 3 I had hoped for....but I'll take it :)

• Like 1

Completely unrelated.

@SandervG - I sent you a couple of PMs, can you please have a look?

@SandervG, and to the entire team: Brave to still make this move even though money and time were spend will now feel kind of wasted.

I am curious to see the result, let me know if you need some last minute testing or advise ;)

• Like 1

Wow...the forum is really cranky today. It has eaten every one of my replies and just now would not display an inserted link properly.

Cannot get fixed fast enough!!

Copy paste from @nilrog:

Anyone able to access Ultimakers forum? For the past days I always get "504 Gateway Time-out"...the only way I can access it is by using a different browser where I am not logged in. But then I can't post...and report the problem...

I mentioned it on Twitter to Ultimaker a week ago when it was still intermittent...and they only told me to be logged out, that would "solve" the access problem...

edit: Apparently I can post

Edited by Guest

Why would the share button need a flash plugin? It works after allowing, but shouldn't be required.

Any indication when the new forum is coming? Need any more testing help?

Edited by Guest

I've been able to get in and post....but as always ...it's the horrible 45 second pauses/loading stuff that makes me give up and browse elsewhere.

If I go via "Forum" I also have these problems. But what still works well is to go directly from the top menu "Community" to "Top Categories", and then "General", "The art of printing", etc... So I have to avoid the direct path to "Forum".

Browsing the forum without loging-in, and then only log-in when I want to reply, also works fine, but is not handy.

If I follow a link into the forum from the outside I could get in. But if I go here directly i'm locked out...that has almost never happened before...but now it is failing 100%

Seriously @sandervg, this forum is a disaster (sorry but it's true) :(

• Like 1

If I go via "Forum" I also have these problems. But what still works well is to go directly from the top menu "Community" to "Top Categories", and then "General", "The art of printing", etc... So I have to avoid the direct path to "Forum".

Browsing the forum without loging-in, and then only log-in when I want to reply, also works fine, but is not handy.

Unfortunately that drop-down menu is useless...99% of the time the "popup" vanishes when you move the mouse pointer down...making it impossible to select anything...yet another catch22...

There are a number of issues that I don't seem to have.

I use google chrome on my home computer without any issues but at work I use google chrome too and there I have a blank page which I can scroll down but there is absolutely nothing there :(

It used to work on my work computer before but since a month or so ago nope.

Hi Guys,

My apologies if my reply comes in a little bit late. I have been at a show for the past week so have not been able to check the forums that often. The forum never seems to be cranky to me, it seems pretty consistent at all times. (not saying consistently satisfying ;)).

I am happy to say it will for sure be IPboard where we will migrate too. It is not entirely set in stone yet, since it is a work in progress (or preparation in progress to be more exact), but we are aiming on migrating mid-December. That is pretty soon luckily. 2 weeks before the date is defined we will share the final date with you. We hope to complete the migration within approx 36 hours.

• Like 2

Hi Guys,

My apologies if my reply comes in a little bit late. I have been at a show for the past week so have not been able to check the forums that often. The forum never seems to be cranky to me, it seems pretty consistent at all times. (not saying consistently satisfying ;)).

I am happy to say it will for sure be IPboard where we will migrate too. It is not entirely set in stone yet, since it is a work in progress (or preparation in progress to be more exact), but we are aiming on migrating mid-December. That is pretty soon luckily. 2 weeks before the date is defined we will share the final date with you. We hope to complete the migration within approx 36 hours.

Well...crap...forum withdrawal.......I think I'll be counting flowers on the wall or playing solitaire till dawn with a deck of 51, smoking cigarettes while watching Captain Kangaroo....so I will have something to do whilst this is in progress........

I was thinking of opening an IRC chat or something like that (or redirect to the existing one) where people can go to if they have questions in the meantime or indeed, the symptoms are becoming too strong :p

Would something like this be appreciated?

I was thinking of opening an IRC chat or something like that (or redirect to the existing one) where people can go to if they have questions in the meantime or indeed, the symptoms are becoming too strong :p

Would something like this be appreciated?

No tea and crumpets for me sir...

I will wait in the cold guvnah....

Actually, I never use IRC, so that would be a no go for me, but sounds good for the other folkses. And the value of the forum for me is to peruse and follow threads that I am not involved in for a learning experience.

I can wait....ignore the shivers guvnah........I will keep tiny Tim company......

I have no idea what IRC is... I can still work with the current forum, provided I take the route "Community > Top categories > and then chose some category". Not optimal, but usable.

I have no idea what IRC is... I can still work with the current forum, provided I take the route "Community > Top categories > and then chose some category". Not optimal, but usable.

It is a chatroom where you can create channels and there is an Ultimaker channel. You can visit it now if you click 'Chat room' in the top bar. It is not very active tho. My suggestion was to create a link to there during the downtime of the actual migration mid-December, so people can still talk and find help.