general forum feedback

ultiarjan

Posted · general forum feedback

@lepaul: Youmagine is not maintained by the same people as the UM website afaik.

I wasn't sure and since it is directly linked from the dashboard, I would mention it. I've largely given up on YouMagine and go directly to Thingiverse now. Just not worth the long pauses anymore.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like stated above, some bugs have been hunting us for over a couple of months.

That is certainly an understatement...some things have been broken since the dawn of 2017... ;)

Since the forum was introduced you mean ;)

• Like 2

That is certainly an understatement...some things have been broken since the dawn of 2017... ;)

That's another way of framing it :D

That's another way of framing it :D

Wasn't the forum changed early/mid 2015 somewhere?

I don't know exactly when they switched over...probably at that point...because I don't think I visited the "old" forum...or maybe just for a short time...but I know most of the issues I have reported surfaced around the beginning of 2017...9 months and no action what so ever :(

• 3 weeks later...

I am so pissed at this forum right now. Just spent 20 minutes replying to a topic, and all was lost when I hit Post. Win7 premium with firefox. Just typed my message, hit Post, the page reloaded, and my composition was gone...

• Like 1

Yes, for the time being one should always keep a copy of the written text in the clipboard or somewhere else before hitting the post button. I understand your anger, had the same problem a few times recently.

I also have this sometimes: the auto-logout function kicking in after one hour or so. The best thing to do is write the message in Notepad++, and then copy and paste it into the browser. But of course, I usually do not follow my own advice...

It would be good if we could set the default auto-logout time in our preferences. I would probably set it to 4 hours. And then I would lose the next reply at 4:05h. :)

Those are frustrating problems. Between the 45 second page loads and constantly being logged out, I'm just not here as much as I used to be. I feel like I'm on a dial up connection when I'm on a high speed Google fiber loop at work.

• Like 1

I have also lost a few direct messages lately. For me personally, it seemed like this problem was gone for some time but popped up again. Luckily, most of the times, like 9/10 when I hit the 'back' button it retrieves the reply. Direct messages are usually lost unfortunately.

As soon as I get clearance, and it is certain where we're going I will let you all know what is going to happen. Bear with me please.

• Like 2

I have also lost a few direct messages lately. For me personally, it seemed like this problem was gone for some time but popped up again. Luckily, most of the times, like 9/10 when I hit the 'back' button it retrieves the reply. Direct messages are usually lost unfortunately.

As soon as I get clearance, and it is certain where we're going I will let you all know what is going to happen. Bear with me please.

any clearance update yet?

every day i go on the forum is a new day of frustration.. 23 seconds today between clicking on the forum link and seeing the forum..

Been pretty much across the board with me. And, I usually forget to hit the copy all combo before losing everything and the back button has not worked at all for me.

However...what was this? LOL :p

Screenshot1.jpg

Screenshot2.jpg

Posted (edited) · general forum feedback

we've been deploying a new software page for Ultimaker Cura 3.0, and that is probably what you noticed. (So did I). @Korneel, not yet. Probably upcoming Wednesday..

Edited by Guest
    subjective to planning

The links to Cura downloads, manuals and the rest do not work on Chrome for all of my computers for a while.

the links from where? Have you tried it in incognito too?

I quickly compiled an image that illustrates how to recognize it (it is small but perhaps you can see it. The hexagon overlaps the laptop).

overlap.thumb.jpg.9b2ece48f11887a01a3eeb5f34ed9153.jpg

Previously we've always thought it barely affected anyone, but now it seems the problem is bigger than we thought.

overlap.thumb.jpg.9b2ece48f11887a01a3eeb5f34ed9153.jpg

From here:

UM2.png.13bbac3920a0ab43c3214785fedf6cca.png

All the links aren't working.

On IE everything is fine, though.

UM2.png.13bbac3920a0ab43c3214785fedf6cca.png

Same as he shows ^^

I upgraded today on Win10 in firefox ok.

i just loved how i wanted to complain about the forum still be incredibly slow and got a 504 timeout as an answer..

• Like 2

@Korneel: 'we're laughing but we're crying'.

@Shurik, on those buttons you can't actually see if the hexagon is overlapping.. it shows 'best' on the laptop, altho it is still pretty difficult to see. Happy to hear you managed to download it anyway. I'll give the feedback to our dev's that this problem may be bigger than we realized. We're rebuilding materials pages right now, perhaps the software page may follow quickly.

As promised I can share some more information with you guys today that will hopefully put some light at the horizon given our forum situation.

This forum was once intended to fit our ambitious vision and function as a collaboration platform to ignite projects, but we feel most of these functionalities are no longer relevant. Adding to this some stubborn bugs which have proven very difficult to solve for a development team which has to focus on many things. We feel it no longer contributes to the best interest of our community.

Anyway, I think you are fully aware of all reasons. But what is going to happen?

We have decided to look into a forum migration and move the community to an established forum software. In order to facilitate and stimulate growth, a valuable future and a pleasant user experience, I think this is a necessary step.

We're currently still preparing to make sure it will go as smooth as possible and everything is done right. When the test migration is a success and all legal details are sorted out a contract will be signed and its official. The forum software we're currently considering is IPboard. IPboard came out as a clear favorite after excessive testing with both stakeholders from within the community and Ultimaker itself. Do note that IPboard is not set in stone yet, by the simple fact we are still sorting out some details and no contract is signed yet.

When it is official and the test migration looks promising (it will probably require a few iterations to optimize the migration algorithm), I will make a more prominent post for everyone with approx a 3 weeks heads up before the actual migration so everyone knows what is coming and there are no surprises.

Hopefully, this puts some light at the horizon and you know better days are coming.

I'll also go ahead and tag a couple of people who have provided a lot of feedback in the past and might be happy to get this update; @nilrog, @shurik, @lepaul, @korneel, @geert_2, @mastory, @titus, @zerspaner_gerd, @bob-hepple, @rebekah_harper, @amedee, @darkDVD, @peetersm, @yellowshark.

• Like 7

Hiya Sander,

Sounds like a very good move.

Will you consider an area for your problems that is restricted to approved members. In order to allow the select few techno geniuses on the forum to see and maybe assist in solving it.

Members can elect to join a 'members development team' and contribute. This doesn't have to be restricted Cura Functionality but could include GUI design, Printer aesthetic design and engineering. All with the understanding that it's a voluntary contribution with no official remuneration.

however in the forces we have GEMs which is a project set up to allow troops to get involved with solution development. At times it is deemed that a reward is warranted so you could do something like that if you feel like it.

BTW Jaffa cakes OK?

Rebekah Anderson

hurray!

all rejoice!

• Like 1

Hiya Sander,

Sounds like a very good move.

Will you consider an area for your problems that is restricted to approved members. In order to allow the select few techno geniuses on the forum to see and maybe assist in solving it.

Members can elect to join a 'members development team' and contribute. This doesn't have to be restricted Cura Functionality but could include GUI design, Printer aesthetic design and engineering. All with the understanding that it's a voluntary contribution with no official remuneration.

however in the forces we have GEMs which is a project set up to allow troops to get involved with solution development. At times it is deemed that a reward is warranted so you could do something like that if you feel like it.

BTW Jaffa cakes OK?

Rebekah Anderson

Let me just say first, don't ever let anything hold you back from sending Jaffa cakes :p

Regarding your request, do you have a specific reason why you would want to implement this, or what problem you'll solve? Is 'your problems' Ultimaker problems, or a users problem?

In the past we've had a few 'hidden forums' where we invited users from the community to share their feedback on subjects. Sometimes this was beta testing other times it was when projects were still in development. This will continue to happen. Although users will most likely continue to be invited, instead of electing themselves because I guess everyone always wants to know 'whats behind the curtain' and the list would be endless ;)

Also not unimportant, not inviting someone is also way less 'offensive' then saying 'no' to a request to join, which is what you'll have to do if there would be a difference between it being restricted or publicly available.

We have decided to look into a forum migration and move the community to an established forum software. In order to facilitate and stimulate growth, a valuable future and a pleasant user experience, I think this is a necessary step.

Hopefully, this puts some light at the horizon and you know better days are coming.

Thanks for the honest update @sandervg.

I think Ultimaker will see an uptake in forum usage again (and i'm not counting threads asking for help) if you successfully migrate to a forum that works again :)

• Like 2