I MISS YOU!!!

swordriff

Posted (edited) · I MISS YOU!!!

I MISS YOU!

I'm finally getting to know my way around here, and it is not that bad, except of course I am forgetting all those who cannot log in and some are mailing me to ask help.. which I cannot give.. Personal Drones, anders, dim3nsioneer, meduza, mohissa, and more..

I MISS YOU ALL , witty remarks, clever views, smart help, never acting "smartness" to us who are new and do not have the experience.

The emotion and "missing" of the forum is getting weaker, I am loosing the force, the fine thing, sense of companionship and endless help has gone away.. the dialogues where the reply to the most simple questions is not understood and the helpers do not give up explaining until the receiver "gets it".

Are we at RISK of forgetting the fantastic sense of accomplishment of our first successful print, of our fist failed print and how we fixed it and we "jauchzed" of glee happiness when we managed to iron the wrinkle out ourselves..

How complete newcomers have the joy of helping someone else in their 5th post, explaining Atomic... .

BUT: I see some Asian hieroglyphic entries here.. seems it is hard to block anyone from the forum, and easy to become a member..  How about charging 1€ membership.. ( withdrawn, no I did not say that; I did not have a relationship with that forum,,,hmm).

What can I do to help?

Anyone..

Please?

Edited by Guest
  • Like 6

Posted · I MISS YOU!!!

Hey swordriff, don't panic! I'm here... ;)

It's true some of the users, including me, still cannot login due to whatever software problem. I have been in close contact with Sander for the last few days and he has been - as usual - very helpful (although I was nailing him every day about the issue... :D ).

I was also told that the login problem is not top priority but is worked on. I guess top priority atm really has the spamming issue. They are working on it and should come with a solution soon. But it wont be a charge, I suppose, as this forum should be kept free. Rather it's going to be the old mechanism that the mods have to verify the first posts of a new member.

But I know what you mean with a bit lost spirit in the new forum. For me it's a matter of time we are back on the old level of helping each other. As soon as everybody is on board again - don't forget that some of the old forum's users might not yet have logged in yet.

The missing spirit is also partially a bit due to fact people try to make this forum as good as the old one and are not posting a lot about tech issues. But if you have a close look in some of the subforums you will see some of the major topics going on.

cheers,

Dim3nsioneer

• Like 2

Posted · I MISS YOU!!!

I only know the emails of maybe 10 forum members. Of those about 1/3 can't login. That seems very serious to me and should be higher priority than the spam I think.

• Like 1

Posted · I MISS YOU!!!

I am glad you are not taking Daid's advice @Shurik! ;)

*PFEW*

Thank you @TheGuyKnownAsDim3nsioneer (quite a handful tag here..)

Maybe I have already said it before, but I believe tomorrow will bring salvation and the log in problem should be solved. Same goes for the spam.

Tomorrow should be a good day.

I agree it is a rough start, rougher then anticipated, but I also believe it takes time for bugs to be fixed, missing features be installed and getting familiar with the new forum and (hopefully..) we will all be back in our original seats.

Quite some work that needs to be done for this, but it will happen.

• Like 3

You are not alone @swordriff, big hug from france.

Edited by Guest

Posted · I MISS YOU!!!

Things look better if you can take a step back,

Then grab a coffee and a biscuit,

Then take a few more steps back and grap a beer and a meal, and a sleep and .... I see the answer its 42!

• Like 1

Posted · I MISS YOU!!!

IRC still works. Freenode #ultimaker

Posted · I MISS YOU!!!

Well its good to be back guys :) I must admit from one perspective it has been good as I have ignored the computer almost totally for the past 10 days or whatever, apart from catching up on the UK election news; and as a result cleared a whole list of outstanding domestic jobs in the period. Not having a computer can be good for you, sometimes!

I have no idea how many postings/new threads I have to catch up on but hope to clear them over the weekend.

Yes I think we all missed each other :)

• Like 1

Posted · I MISS YOU!!!

Man Hug`s from the UK too. x

• Like 1

Posted · I MISS YOU!!!

Swordriff thank you for this post. The community was temporarily "disrupted" by the software changes, I trust it will slowly reform around the new platform.

One of my most serious problems at the moment is to find some old posts I was following.

For instance, there was an Izzy post with some pictures of his lazy susan setup that I would really wish to find, as a reference, as I am implementing a similar (although less elegant) solution. No way for me to find all Izzy's posts. If I go to his profile I only see the very last posts, and no way to see the older ones. If I search "Izzy" with the search box, only 1 post come out, in which someone mentions him (and this is not the post I am looking for). This is badly implemented for now, this is a top priority for me here to be able to find ALL the posts by someone. Can this be done right now?

Swordriff, let's keep up with the "good work" and have conversation on this new forum flowing. I think that when the main "bugs" or missing features will be fixed, it will be not bad at all eventually.

This is the second time since I purchased my UM and started to contribute to the UM forum that UM has changed the design of their forum. After the first time it happened, I could not find my posts and photos (and presumably others had the same problem). I made a big mistake by continuing to expend effort to contribute here. My contributions required many hours of my time to produce. This time, it's the same again, except this latest forum design is a hugely worse design than either of the last two forums. It sacrifices function (like powerful advanced search capabilities) for what some misguided manager or web dev thinks looks nice. Also, once again I cannot find my posts.

I'm done here.  I'm moving all of my 3D printing forum contribution efforts to the reprap forum. It's plain looking but stable, unchanging and much more useful than this mistake of a forum! To play it safe, I'm using GrabCAD to share my models too. Well--I was doing that already. At most, I'll post a link here in the UM forums.

Edited by Guest
    added info

Posted · I MISS YOU!!!

Ultimaker only changed the forum once as far as I can remember.

Posted · I MISS YOU!!!

Hi Nallath,

Exactly, as far as you can remember ;) There is also a part of Ultimaker before your arrival. I believe it was near September 2012 when we went to a new forum.

@Calinb, I hope you can find the patience within yourself to stay with Ultimaker for a little bit. All the content you have created is migrated, you may have lost some sense of direction of where everything is, but it is all there.

Initially we thought it would be impossible to migrate all the topics everyone followed, but a second opinion lead us to believe that it may would be possible after all. Obviously, we will keep you all posted about this.

If you have read the 'general feedback' thread about the forum, there is plenty of feedback suggested and acknowledged, and this week we should already see results of this.

I would also like to suggest, if you still want to, to post further feedback in this thread.

Thank you for your contributions Calinb, hopefully we will continue to see you in these forums!

Thank you for your prompt reply and the link, Sander.

I recently came across one of Joergen's posts that had migrated to this new forum.  However, the link he provided to my howto on printing nylon no longer worked.

I would provide it to you, but I can't even find Joergen's post. (Global-only searches suck and I can't find an "advanced search" button.)

I would also like to suggest, if you still want to, to post further feedback in this thread.

Edited by Guest
    typo

Posted · I MISS YOU!!!

Hi @Calinb, thank you for your reply.

Later today we will also post a link to the old forum, it is read only but may help finding old content, and it will also allow you to access your private messages again.

You are right that the forum-search needs to be improved, but from my experience the 'global search', that covers the entire website gives pretty accurate results.

I might be able to help you track down the topic if you have some keywords or if you can offer any other direction.

About the advanced search, I will continue on this in the proper general feedback thread, so we won't hijack this one :)