Upgrade your Ultimaker 2 with the Extrusion upgrade

SandervG

Posted · Upgrade your Ultimaker 2 with the Extrusion upgrade

Hi, here are the details for my order.

thank you for your help:

Order # Date

100002132 3/13/16

It seems that we are still a few waiting, do you know in a more general way, if you have still many backorders to fill?

I think everybody would be more willing to wait if we had more regular updates either from suppliers or Ultimaker directly.

• Replies 369
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, here are the details for my order.

thank you for your help:

Order #         Date

100002132 3/13/16

Thank you, Did you order from iGo3D directly?

Hi All, I understand we shipped a new batch of extrusion upgrades to Australia yesterday, New Zealand will be shipped tomorrow. I'll report back with an update for iGo3D :)

Well the 2go power supply is significantly cheaper (and less power) than the other UM2 printers so you need to do special stuff to get it to work.  But 3dsolex has a heated bed kit for the um2go for roughly 99€ (didn't check price).

not sure what you mean by "2go version".  Are you referring to the "plus" upgrade?

Yeah meant the + upggrade for the go would be nice have also a spoolholder from another printer i can set away so that wouldnt be a problem

Hi All, I understand we shipped a new batch of extrusion upgrades to Australia yesterday, New Zealand will be shipped tomorrow. I'll report back with an update for iGo3D :)

When to the US?

Posted (edited) · Upgrade your Ultimaker 2 with the Extrusion upgrade

I have yet to test the whole thing but so far I noticed a few oddities:

first (sorry if this is a repeat): The youtube installation guide tells me to use the washers from the old feeder but neither the video uses them, nor is it possible to use them (the white plastic  case collides with the washers if I use them)

5a331da817b1a_ScreenShot2016-05-28at14_27_38.thumb.png.90df973a2a6eb2a358f67001e948a9a9.png

But that is just a minor thing, my main problem is the feeder itself:

First: it scratches the filament quiet deep when I insert it manually using the lever:

scratch.thumb.png.31aa73799de33a15e3a8f61acc6e2afc.png

I know why: the knurled wheel is slightly in the path of the filament, even when the idler is fully out of the way, and I think I get why but it is quite unpleasant when I fill the feeder with filament shavings when changing material.

Another thing: When I insert the material manually and it comes from the roll curved: it is impossible to get it to line up so it passes the top guide hole. I have to bend it by hand and force it in. Is there a trick to avoid this? I have yet to try to let the feeder push it up by itself but i am worried that it would also not "hit the hole" and jam.

Lastly: The outer bearing of the knurled wheel sadly is a bad one... (I disassembled the feeder to check) and it binds at one position. It feels like a "snap to grid" - it spins freely enough that I think it should be no problem but I was a little disappointed.

Update:

After an initial test: Besides my complaints: really nice - I started a small test-print with (what I consider) fast settings and cranked the speed up to 140% and it kept going like nothing.

With the old extruder I never dared to go above 100mm/s now It feels like a piece of cake.

Update2:

Well... i jinxed it?! Now I have a weird error where in the middle of the print the machine just moves Y to the front for no reason. :(

Fixed: broken SD card (see my other thread).

5a331da817b1a_ScreenShot2016-05-28at14_27_38.thumb.png.90df973a2a6eb2a358f67001e948a9a9.png

Edited by Guest

When will the be the individual components of the EXTRUSION UPGRADE KIT available? ;)

I would be quite interested in a 2 go version.

That would be really nice.

Well i would also like a heated bed on it why it hasnt one while it has everything ready ,connectors on board and such , for it surprises me a little for the price.

I think that it can be installed on a um2go (if you mean the feeder of um2+). But mind that it will hit the spool and it won't fit on the transport box. I think they didn't release it for um2go just for that. But technically it should work,

mind that you will need to mod it with printed parts (that you might need to design) to make it work.

Well i have a stand spool holder so that wouldnt be a real problem and i bought the go because i couldnt afford the bigger ones yet and not to run around so that wouldnt be my problem:)

[/quote

I think that it can be installed on a um2go (if you mean the feeder of um2+). But mind that it will hit the spool and it won't fit on the transport box. I think they didn't release it for um2go just for that. But technically it should work,

mind that you will need to mod it with printed parts (that you might need to design) to make it work.

[/quote

Well i have a stand spool holder so that wouldnt be a real problem and i bought the go because i couldnt afford the bigger ones yet and not to run around so that wouldnt be my problem:)

The only issue I can think then it's that the cables are 20cm longer, so you will have to grip them somewhere so they don't disturb you, there's plenty of room bellow the printer.

Oh there's other problem that maybe someone with more knowhow can answer. The um2+ uses a 35W heater, um2go I think uses 25W. Worse case scenario you might need to swap the one you have to the um2+ hotend. I know that um2go uses a less powerfull powersupply, but I don't know the actual numbers.

I have yet to test the whole thing but so far I noticed a few oddities:

first (sorry if this is a repeat): The youtube installation guide tells me to use the washers from the old feeder but neither the video uses them, nor is it possible to use them (the white plastic  case collides with the washers if I use them)

But that is just a minor thing, my main problem is the feeder itself:

First: it scratches the filament quiet deep when I insert it manually using the lever:

I know why: the knurled wheel is slightly in the path of the filament, even when the idler is fully out of the way, and I think I get why but it is quite unpleasant when I fill the feeder with filament shavings when changing material.

Another thing: When I insert the material manually and it comes from the roll curved: it is impossible to get it to line up so it passes the top guide hole. I have to bend it by hand and force it in. Is there a trick to avoid this? I have yet to try to let the feeder push it up by itself but i am worried that it would also not "hit the hole" and jam.

Lastly: The outer bearing of the knurled wheel sadly is a bad one... (I disassembled the feeder to check) and it binds at one position. It feels like a "snap to grid" - it spins freely enough that I think it should be no problem but I was a little disappointed.

Update:

After an initial test: Besides my complaints: really nice - I started a small test-print with (what I consider) fast settings and cranked the speed up to 140% and it kept going like nothing.

With the old extruder I never dared to go above 100mm/s now It feels like a piece of cake.

Update2:

Well... i jinxed it?! Now I have a weird error where in the middle of the print the machine just moves Y to the front for no reason. :(

Thank you for your post. I would like to ask if you care to open up a new topic about this, so we can help you troubleshoot your issues. If someone else has them too it is easier to find a solution on your new thread instead of page 12 over here ;) You can put the link to your new thread in your post. Your feeder shouldn't really be scratching the filament. Perhaps when you took it apart to check the internals something got misplaced? Are you releasing the tension to the fullest with the lever?

It is always recommended to straighten the filament a little bit by hand before you feed it in the feeder.

Could you elaborate a little bit about the error you are having?

Thank you!

Thank you for your post. I would like to ask if you care to open up a new topic about this, so we can help you troubleshoot your issues.

Right, just a heads up here and I continue in another thread (here: 21259-um-feeder-scratches-filament.

For my second problem I did, and the solution was as weird as the problem: my SD card was half broken 21252-weird-axis-movement-mid-print

Your feeder shouldn't really be scratching the filament. Perhaps when you took it apart to check the internals something got misplaced?

Sorry if I was unclear: I first noticed the scratching and then took it apart :)

Are you releasing the tension to the fullest with the lever?

Yes, I even losend the tension screw to the top position to have the level easily pulled.

It is always recommended to straighten the filament a little bit by hand before you feed it in the feeder.

Straight filament works fine I am just worried if I use the automatic filament change that if I do not bend it straight enough it will jam and grind but this is no problem, I change filament rarely and can do the manual insertion.

Could you elaborate a little bit about the error you are having?

Thankfully that one is solved :)

Edited by Guest

[/quote

The only issue I can think then it's that the cables are 20cm longer, so you will have to grip them somewhere so they don't disturb you, there's plenty of room bellow the printer.

Oh there's other problem that maybe someone with more knowhow can answer. The um2+ uses a 35W heater, um2go I think uses 25W. Worse case scenario you might need to swap the one you have to the um2+ hotend. I know that um2go uses a less powerfull powersupply, but I don't know the actual numbers.

I have a 50w heater and heated bed on my UM2GO and it works fine.

• Like 1

um2go can definitely handle the 35W heater fine. Plus much more as Labern says.

[/quote

Hi heater is the same as um2 difference why they put a lighter psu is no heated bed .mechanically all pieces except rods are exactly the same as an um2 ,even the board is the same with all connections only heated bed is off in firmware.

Hello,

Did we receive an update on IGO3d orders?

thank you

Yes there was a batch send since your last post and I mentioned you personally asked for an update and a representative said he would reach out to you.

Did you get an email from iGo3D in the last two weeks?

Hi,

Thank you for helping out with this.

I received no updates, and the status is still processing on my order.

I hope the batch you send could at least cover the orders they took already...

After all this time, I'm starting to feel less enthusiastic about the upgrade, so I'll give it a week and ask for a refund. It was offered to me but it made sense to upgrade the printer, just did not expect it would take an absurd amount of time to receive.

I have a 50w heater and heated bed on my UM2GO and it works fine.

@Labern: Where do you get 50W heaters for the UM2*?

My webshop. Or any other resellers of 3D Solex products.

@Labern: Thanks for the info :-)

I don't want to get into any 'upgrade kit price' discussions, but if you want do a 'cost effective' feeder upgrade on your UM2, all feederparts are in stock at makerpoint.nl   (I just got all parts and they had more on stock...) and I assume with all the other re-sellers...

I think the metal adaptor plate that is part of the upgrade kit is not available, but this here seems to be a solution (have not tried it myself)

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/adapter-plate-for-um2-feeder-on-um2

I did notice that some of the UM2 feeder motors have a round axis in stead of the D shaped version. if you want to reuse the UM2 motor you need to be lucky to have the D shaped version....

20160611_171009.thumb.jpg.7fd13d8e333181d1ae20e5ca335369e3.jpg

edit; they also have the feeder motor, it's euro 41,-

edit2; just got stuck at assembly as i discovered I need the "bearing feeder axis" 2x and I only have 1 .....

useful link;

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/64-disassembly-of-the-ultimaker-2-plus-feeder

20160611_171009.thumb.jpg.7fd13d8e333181d1ae20e5ca335369e3.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Ok so I can't complete the puzzle as I'm missing a bearing, but I also noticed I mis the tension screw, no problem just used a m3 x 20 and normal nut.

I also have a leftover part, the "threaded stand off"...... anybody any idea where this part should go ?

standoff.thumb.png.ad645174b10f3ddfe780663020318867.png

standoff.thumb.png.ad645174b10f3ddfe780663020318867.png

And assembly tips...

- be very carefull with pressing the "grooved sleeve" on the bearing... the bearing is easily damaged (mine just survived :)

- you also need 4 x m3 x 20 + nuts for closing the housing. To get the nuts fixed in the housing it's easy to take a long m3, push it through, screw on the nut, and pull it back into the housing.

mountthenut.thumb.png.127335a0b4fd19d660420e7b61cb8ea7.png

mountthenut.thumb.png.127335a0b4fd19d660420e7b61cb8ea7.png

Ultiarjan

which section did you find these Thought they might have the fan shroud and fans inn,,,

Bob, I'm sure they have the fan shroud, I was in there Arnhem store this afternoon and it was there ... they just got the feeder arts, don't think they have it up on there website yet, but they can supply all UM parts, like all resellers probably can...