Cura 2.3 Beta Awesomeness and Some Issues

DaHai8

Posted · Cura 2.3 Beta Awesomeness and Some Issues

Changing it to 60 deg should work (just tested it and i get the overridden value). I do remember fixing something regarding this recently, so it could be that was after the beta release.

:-) great - seem so that it was after... Looking forward to the final :-)

• Replies 165
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.3 Beta Awesomeness and Some Issues

Huston, We Have A Problem - I think.

I can't get any Supports to actually touch the build plate on this object (only if I turn on Raft can I get Supports on the first Object Print Layer.

5a3321121b975_SupportBugA.thumb.png.e58c56f2edb90f063d6ed732c863cd9a.png

5a3321128220c_SupportBugB.thumb.png.ae2c4135fa0fc3e81ad3a619c8d1c2a3.png

5a332112c721f_SupportBugC.thumb.png.a5e9665b7044fe634e9d09365e68420a.png

I've not seen this behavior in other objects I've printed. And he's all BLUE is x-ray mode as well.

Bug or PEBKAC?

P.S: Really odd behavior on the first Support layer on the Raft: It did a retraction at the end of every line in the raft. Whenever it needed to change direction, it did a retraction, micro-move and then print. Needless to say, that first Support layer to FOREVER to print. Subsequent support layers are printing fine without any unnecessary retractions.

5a3321121b975_SupportBugA.thumb.png.e58c56f2edb90f063d6ed732c863cd9a.png

5a3321128220c_SupportBugB.thumb.png.ae2c4135fa0fc3e81ad3a619c8d1c2a3.png

5a332112c721f_SupportBugC.thumb.png.a5e9665b7044fe634e9d09365e68420a.png

Edited by Guest

1. With the interface: pretty good!

We can even change the start/end gcode inside the IDE <3

Is it possible to set a "platform_texture" in this inst.cfg file?

Nope. Its a definition thing only.

Ok, my actual problem is after rotating the view several times, there's no indicator to know which side of the print area/printer is front or back...

If there's no way to add a custom texture, could you at least add a generic indicator so we know which side is which?

I found an issue though: the fan speed setting doesn't seem to be taken into account.

I created a new ABS material and set it to 0%, I still have fan enabled and 100% in the Print Setup tab.

This is due to our profile stack, which works as follows; user->quality_changes->quality->material->variant->definition

We first ask if the top (user) has the setting value. If not, we continue down. So if the quality sets a value (say fan speed) and material sets it as well, the one set by the quality is used.

We still need to tweak what we put in what profile.

I found the issue!

I did change the Profile Fan Speed at one point (and saved in Profile), then reverted it (and saved). However the Fan Speed "reset" is still writing the info into the Profile even if it's reseted to default (using the "i")!

cool_fan_speed = =100.0 if cool_fan_enabled else 0.0

It would be nice to automatically detect any given default setting and avoid writing the value into the profile to avoid this overriding another setting like Material.

Or maybe an ability to delete a profile setting from the Profiles Preferences? I had to manually open the profile.inst.cfg file to really remove the Fan Speed.

Also when clicking "Update profile with current settings", it's not refreshing the page, I believe the Current settings should move to Profile after click.

Same issue with "Discard..." which should delete the Current settings.

I also noticed that while the Layers view is way faster than 2.1, this eats CPU at breakfast!

I sometimes often to change the view and let Cura open while I print (from sd) and am wondering why my cpu fan is running full speed... Launch OSX's Activity Monitor->it's Cura!

Maybe you should pause some computations while Cura isn't the current active app?

Edited by Guest

so maybe it's just me, but I can't change any settings in Cura 2.3.0 beta.. whenever i try to change things like layer height from 0.1 to 0.2 , it just pops back to 0.1 .. this is the same for all settings..

so maybe it's just me, but I can't change any settings in Cura 2.3.0 beta..

No, it is not just you. Unfortunately there's a bug in the code that tries to migrate your 2.1 settings to the new 2.3 format. If you remove your cura settings folder (in AppData\local or Application Support, or .local/shared), a you have to set up your machine anew but you will have a working setup. Sorry about the inconvenience.

BUG - Layers not showing in Grouped Objects.

Grouped Objects: No Layers Visible

5a332130312db_Layers-Grouped.thumb.png.18cdc25b76a2bd53076bcebc5e46218f.png

Ungrouped Objects: Layers Visible

5a33213062068_Layers-Ungrouped.thumb.png.32466ec48d19add9109db9e6bc93cf28.png

5a332130312db_Layers-Grouped.thumb.png.18cdc25b76a2bd53076bcebc5e46218f.png

5a33213062068_Layers-Ungrouped.thumb.png.32466ec48d19add9109db9e6bc93cf28.png

Very impressed with the new Cura, but can anyone tell me where to change the nozzle size?

If you have an UM2 selected there is not yet a possibility to change the nozzle size (@nallath: this will be implemented, right?). But you can change the line width which should have the desired effect.

If you have an UM2 selected there is not yet a possibility to change the nozzle size (@nallath: this will be implemented, right?). But you can change the line width which should have the desired effect.

It's not on our to-do list. So probably not.

It's not on our to-do list. So probably not.

So just use UM2+ profile without using the firmware update right?

Well, I figured it out in then by creating a custom profile, and then it can be changed in the machine settings. Not the most convenient way of doing things, but there you go.

So just use UM2+ profile without using the firmware update right?

Yep.

• Like 1

Maybe this was mentioned...but is there a way to NOT import settings from 2.1.x ?

Normal used to be 0.2 and has since been upped to 0.1 I didn't catch that doing a print this weekend. (It came out really nice, but took twice as long lol )

Uh. Actually no. You could delete the profiles that it converted though. We actually just went into string freeze, so we can't add a message that lets you decide if you want to upgrade or not.

BUG - Layers not showing in Grouped Objects.

A new beta was silently pushed out last week, which mitigates this bug. NB: we know that the fix is not ideal; the "ghosts" now render transparently in front of the layers. For the final we want to fix it that the ghosts are behind the layers again, also for grouped/merged objects. Sorry for the inconvenience in the mean time.

If you have an UM2 selected there is not yet a possibility to change the nozzle size

Yes, there is actually. Use the "Machine Settings" button on the "Printers" pane of the preferences (also available via "Manage Printers..." in the printers dropdown).

NB: the Machine Settings window is currently not available for the UM2+ family, but it is for the UM2 family.

Edited by Guest

I absolutely love the new Cura (2.3.0). Very fast, loads of useful settings, I'm now using it for production work.

One thing that confuses me is the nozzle size/line width thing. If i set the nozzle size to 0.4mm but the line width to 1.0mm (I have a "toothpaste" nozzle) which setting takes precedence, or are some other subtleties at play here?

I notice that when setting the line width to 1.0mm and the nozzle size to 0.4mm, Cura reports longer print times than if the nozzle is also set to 1.0mm.

I prefer having the nozzle width in the "Quality" tab, but can live with changing the machine settings every time I change a nozzle if that's the way its going.

I prefer having the nozzle width in the "Quality" tab, but can live with changing the machine settings every time I change a nozzle if that's the way its going.

I mentioned this in another post I made this evening; I think it is a bad idea - I have no idea if it has advantages. If you have a model that you want to reprint in the future - happens a lot to me - a nozzle size in the machine settings is not saved as part of the Profile - I assume. So if you reprint and forget that you used say a 0.8 nozzle, although you reload your custom settings it will not come out the same. Can we regress that change please

Can we regress that change please

Yes, Please. If possible the nozzle size also has a lot better function for me in the Quality settings.

Yes, Please.  If possible the nozzle size also has a lot better function for me in the Quality settings.

Nozzle size (aka nozzle diameter) is not actually used by any setting save the line_width. The line width has a function that uses the nozzle diameter to calculate the line width. So if the nozzle diameter is changed, the line width will change accordingly.

If you do override it for some reason, an inheritance warning icon will pop up to notify you of such a change.

Also note that for the UM2+, your profiles are stored per combination. If you create a profile, you create a profile for that nozzle. So if you switch the nozzle size in the dropdown, so will the profile.

Nozzle size (aka nozzle diameter) is not actually used by any setting save the line_width.

Well, I'm not certain you are absolutely correct about that. If you slice a model with the machine set to 0.4mm, and the line width to 1.0mm, you will get a different time estimate than if they were both set to 1.0mm. I confirmed that again in Cura just before posting.

But if you are certain that the end result is identical, then hey, i can live with that.

The new Cura is a leap forward in a big way.

Two important features are missing for me however: single layer view and retractions. For some of the prints I do this makes a difference to the design itself.

Hi @nallath Sorry I am still somewhat confused. Are you saying that if I fit a 0.8mm nozzle to my printer and want a line width of 0.78 then I should NOT change the nozzle width in Cura from 0.4, instead I should just change the line width? I always thought there were algorithms in the software that considered the line width you wanted to print vs the physical size of your nozzle? Surely t takes more pressure to get a .78 line through a .4 nozzle that it does through a .8 nozzle?

Can I install 2.3 onto the same laptop that I have 15.04.4 running, without 2.3 affecting 15.04.4? I read somewhere that 2.3.0 affects 2.1.3

Hi @nallath Sorry I am still somewhat confused. Are you saying that if I fit a 0.8mm nozzle to my printer and want a line width of 0.78 then I should NOT change the nozzle width in Cura from 0.4.

I'm not saying that you should. I'm saying that the effect is going to be pretty much the same. I would advise to simply change the nozze size.

Can I install 2.3 onto the same laptop that I have 15.04.4 running, without 2.3 affecting 15.04.4? I read somewhere that 2.3.0 affects 2.1.3

Yes

• Like 1