Best option to replace the feeder on UMO+

Posted · Best option to replace the feeder on UMO+

First post here. I know this topic (in general) has been brought up, but I am looking for reviews, ideas, and recommendations regarding upgrade/replacement of the feeder on the UMO+.

I love the design and simplicity of the IRobertl feeder system, but it appears that it is designed for the UM2, not the Original (the feeder motor appears to be mounted inside the printer on the UM2 verses external on the UMO).

Ideally, It would be cool if I could mount the motor inside the case like the UM2 and go with either the IRobertl feeder or variations of that modification. Is there any guides for that type of thing? I seen the link https://ultimaker.com/en/community/11453-ultimaker-original-mod-irobertis-feeder-on-umo which still leaves the motor external (what I would like to avoid).

Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome!

I think the UMO feeder is great as is - that's why there aren't as many modifications to it as for the UM2. My favorite mod is the one that makes it quieter

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:53690

However you can indeed mount the iroberti feeder on a UMO if you want to. It's not as sturdy as the UMO feeder:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:568881

I had my share of trouble with the UMO feeder. I've been running the Geohagen feeder upgrade trouble free for over 4 years. You can find it on Thingiverse. Mostly it can be built with parts you already have from the original feeder. You'll need to source a custom feeder wheel and a bearing or two. I made my own feeder wheel, but they were available commercially. Not sure if they still are.

• Like 1

I think from umo to other stuff (unless you move to 1.75mm filament) you have a very few options to find something stronger or more reliable.

First a bondtech

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/19965-review-bondtech-extruder-qr-30

Second (muuch cheaper)

A IRobertI feeder with a Meduza bolt addon ( youmagine) to keep a good torque ratio.

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/17033-meduzas-bolt-on-belt-geared-feeder-upgrade-for-um2

Ofc there are plenty of feeders, gears, etc. There's plenty of room to try.

Posted (edited) · Best option to replace the feeder on UMO+

I went with the |Robert| feeder on my UMO, primarily because of the noise the original one makes especially with retractions.

I just have it mounted with an adapter like the one @gr5 links to so it is still almost as bulky as the original...

If you want to mount the motor inside the printer (I had the same idea, and find it really neat), I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to do so... The machine is wood after all, so easy to modify...

Drill 4 x Nema17 spaced 3 mm. holes in the back of your printer where there is nothing on the inside (probably below the left side/y axis motor) and drill/cut a hole in the middle of them for the stepper axis, then mount the Roberts feeder on the outside with the stepper on the inside, like on the UM2.

You might need a new bowden cable and extended wires since the feeder would sit a little lower than the original, but those are cheap parts to replace.

Edited by Guest

Regarding reducing the retraction noise of the UMO feeder, I am using this design:

Ultimaker Original or Plus Feeder Damper

It reduces the noise quite a bit (although there it's still there) and it seems more sturdy than the "leaf spring" design gr5 mentioned. I printed it in Taulman PC-TPE with zero in-fill to make it as squishy as possible.

I went with the |Robert| feeder on my UMO, primarily because of the noise the original one makes especially with retractions.

tommyph1208,

I would still like to reduce the noise further so I can run the printer at night without complaints. Does the IRobertI feeder make a significant difference?

tommyph1208,

I would still like to reduce the noise further so I can run the printer at night without complaints. Does the IRobertI feeder make a significant difference?

I think it does yes, obviously your machine will never be completely silent, but after switching to SilentStepSticks from Watterot and changing to |Robert|s feeder, I think fans are now what make the most noise on my UMO.

Edited by Guest

The UMO's feeder noise level is way too high, mostly due to to the wooden frame. I tried to reduce some noise with feets or adapters printed with flexible material. In the end I just changed the regular geared feeder with the UM2 feeder (or Robert's feeder), and today I installed the E3D Titan. I like this last one as it's almost as small as the UM2 feeder but it's geared, so the stepper motor and the filament suffer a little bit less. :D

• Like 2

I put the extruder on a separate holder plate which I fixed with springs to the frame. This reduces the noise quite well. I actually installed that modification while printer was printing...

• Like 1

If i were to upgrade a UMO today, i would probably go for a full upgrade with a UM2+ upgrade kit like @neotko have shown here: https://ultimaker.com/en/community/21167-assembly-manual-um2-upgrade-kit-on-ultimaker-original-plus

It is pretty expensive tough, and as a cheaper option i would find someone that has a spare UM2 print head laying around after installing a extrusion upgrade kit, and buy that print head from them, upgrade it with the new TFM coupler and get another feeder. (be aware tough, if you have a UMO (not +), then you need a PT100 amplifier, like this one from E3D http://e3d-online.com/PT100-Amplifier-Board to be able to use the UM2 head on the UMO.

The first choice of feeder then would probably be a Bondtech feeder, if that is too expensive, then i would either use my belt gearbox and the @IRobertI feeder, or do as @flowalistik and get the E3D Titan, i belive these two options would be pretty similar in performance.

And as @zoev89 says, it really helps to decouple the vibrations of the feeder from the body of the UMO to reduce the noise, this is valid for all feeders.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

If i were to upgrade a UMO today, i would probably go for a full upgrade with a UM2+ upgrade kit like @neotko have shown here: https://ultimaker.com/en/community/21167-assembly-manual-um2-upgrade-kit-on-ultimaker-original-plus

It is pretty expensive tough, and as a cheaper option i would find someone that has a spare UM2 print head laying around after installing a extrusion upgrade kit, and buy that print head from them, upgrade it with the new TFM coupler and get another feeder. (be aware tough, if you have a UMO (not +), then you need a PT100 amplifier, like this one from E3D http://e3d-online.com/PT100-Amplifier-Board to be able to use the UM2 head on the UMO.

The first choice of feeder then would probably be a Bondtech feeder, if that is too expensive, then i would either use my belt gearbox and the @IRobertI feeder, or do as @flowalistik and get the E3D Titan, i belive these two options would be pretty similar in performance.

And as @zoev89 says, it really helps to decouple the vibrations of the feeder from the body of the UMO to reduce the noise, this is valid for all feeders.

Couldn't agree more with this!

3o7ZeTmU77UlPyeR2w.gif

• Like 2

The UMO's feeder noise level is way too high, mostly due to to the wooden frame. I tried to reduce some noise with feets or adapters printed with flexible material. In the end I just changed the regular geared feeder with the UM2 feeder (or Robert's feeder), and today I installed the E3D Titan. I like this last one as it's almost as small as the UM2 feeder but it's geared, so the stepper motor and the filament suffer a little bit less. :D

I have just purchased a Titan Extruder to do this on my UMO. What sort of mount did you use and how much did you have to change the esteps?

So, no love for the titan on the UMO?

I'm not familiar with titan but isn't that an all metal hot end? Those don't work well with PLA and I really really love PLA. But if you are 100% ABS then go for it.

You may have already seen this, but here's a thread about installing an E3D Titan feeder on a UM2.  It seems like a simple adapter could be made to mount the feeder with some hooks to go into slots in the back of the UMO frame, perhaps in a flexible material.

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/21029-e3d-titan-extruder-firmware-settings

I am also interested in a way to reduce the feeder noise on my UMO+.  I installed a flexible damper between the feeder and the frame, but the retraction noise is still pretty loud.

Edited by Guest
    Added link

You may have already seen this, but here's a thread about installing an E3D Titan feeder on a UM2.  It seems like a simple adapter could be made to mount the feeder with some hooks to go into slots in the back of the UMO frame, perhaps in a flexible material.

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/21029-e3d-titan-extruder-firmware-settings

I am also interested in a way to reduce the feeder noise on my UMO+.  I installed a flexible damper between the feeder and the frame, but the retraction noise is still pretty loud.

I'm in the process of designing a mount that works with the mount points on the UMO, that way I could still add a damper or spring to reduce the noise. What I was interested about was the firmware changes, such as the esteps and anything else that I may have to do.

I've never really found a way to reduce the feeder noise. It seems that due to the size of the mount made of wood, the noise is always there!

Try this:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:53690

I'm told it actually works. The back board of a UMO is like a sound board of a guitar! Yikes!

You can also just cut most of the back away and put the filament spool on the floor.

Iv'e been using this one here for a while without any real issues at all, was a big improvement over the original. After about a year, the hinged part snapped so I would recommend printing a spare or two from here if you end up using it.

In the end, I've adapted this mounting plate for the UM2+ extruder by reducing it to 2mm thick and I plan to install it when I get a chance. Esteps will be changed to 837 then hopefully all will be well.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-extrusion-upgrade-kit-mount-for-umo

20170307_125424.thumb.jpg.d3e82a5cc20456855362372168ba02ca.jpg

20170307_125424.thumb.jpg.d3e82a5cc20456855362372168ba02ca.jpg

That looks like a good feeder but I have no reason to believe it will be quieter.

• Like 1

That looks like a good feeder but I have no reason to believe it will be quieter.

You are way too use to the sturdy um2 frame. Indeed it will make a big difference. When @meduza made that adapter I suggested that he include a small mm margin to decouple a bit the vibrations, so it should be even better. Wood umo feeder is just noisy as a nutcracker

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

If i would print that adapter myself today, i would probably use a rigid TPU, like the Ultimaker TPU95A, to get a bit more dampening out of it, @Neotko is right, the UMO frame is really good at acting as a amplifier for every little vibration.

And i do think that the Titan will be quite a bit quieter than the UMO feeder.

Edited by Guest

If i would print that adapter myself today, i would probably use a rigid TPU, like the Ultimaker TPU95A, to get a bit more dampening out of it, @Neotko is right, the UMO frame is really good at acting as a amplifier for every little vibration.

And i do think that the Titan will be quite a bit quieter than the UMO feeder.

It is indeed a lot quieter and a lot more reliable.