Tinker firmware - introduction

tinkergnome

Posted · Tinker firmware - introduction
18 hours ago, killerb77 said:

Has the bug where the endstop isn't triggered and the head crashes after filament load been fixed?

tbh: I don't remember such things.... should i?

Do you have a link or some more details?

23 minutes ago, tinkergnome said:

I don't know if this is what was meant, but every time a print is completed, the printer has to be powered off, then on again before a new print is started. If not, when you start a new print, as the printer runs thought the prep-cycle where it "resets" the print head location and raises the bed, the print head stop switch does not register when the head reaches the back, and the motor keeps going, making the belt "jump" over gears and the entire machine shakes until you turn it off. (I personally don't have a film clip of it and I'm a little hesitant to make one for fear of causing any damage. I've just learned to power the thing off between prints... most of the time!)

29 minutes ago, joatrash said:

I don't know if this is what was meant, but every time a print is completed, the printer has to be powered off, then on again before a new print is started. If not, when you start a new print, as the printer runs thought the prep-cycle where it "resets" the print head location and raises the bed, the print head stop switch does not register when the head reaches the back, and the motor keeps going, making the belt "jump" over gears and the entire machine shakes until you turn it off. (I personally don't have a film clip of it and I'm a little hesitant to make one for fear of causing any damage. I've just learned to power the thing off between prints... most of the time!)

Sounds pretty serious. I have that happen sometimes but that's when a cross rod slips in the carriage or there's some other obstruction.

3 hours ago, tinkergnome said:
    22 hours ago, killerb77 said:

Has the bug where the endstop isn't triggered and the head crashes after filament load been fixed?

@tinkergnome Page 3 of this thread.

https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/15939-tinker-firmware-introduction/page/3/

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm quite sure that at least the "garbled" display was fixed pretty soon, but besides that... i do not know.

I don't use this firmware variant anymore - because my printer was converted to "Mark 2" in 2017 (i never used the material change procedure anyway).

Perhaps someone else with an UM2 can check it?

On 1/26/2020 at 6:22 AM, tinkergnome said:

I'm quite sure that at least the "garbled" display was fixed pretty soon, but besides that... i do not know.

I don't use this firmware variant anymore - because my printer was converted to "Mark 2" in 2017 (i never used the material change procedure anyway).

Perhaps someone else with an UM2 can check it?

I am on the v18 and the screen is fine.

Scrolling names work and done some long prints without any screen problems. 

Hi

Will Tinker "get rid" of the materials functionality in the printer, so that the temp and retractionsettings etc from Cura will take precedence? 

7 hours ago, X-Type said:

"get rid" of the materials functionality in the printer

It's a Cura setting:

• open the machine settings in Cura
    • go to "G-code flavor" and select "Marlin" from the list
    • re-slice
    • done
    • Like 1

Sorry, I've come in late to this topic.  Just recently installed your firmware on my UM2 and I like it.  My UM2 is one of the very first - approx 7 years old.  I had to wait months for it to arrive.  I've noticed 2 "quirks:"  the screen does shift during a print.  Looks like 1 pixel to the right at random intervals.  On the print I am doing now, the screen has frozen.  Not updating any info and I cannot select or change any settings.  The control knob does glow red when I press it, but I still can't make changes.  The print continues to go well.  The only thing I did was change the print speed and flow rate at the very first, but then put those values back to normal for the "long haul."

Don't know if this helps or not. 

Hi, I like its GUI!!

can the Tinker-Firmware be installed with other boards for other printers, like RAMBO, or SKR1.3 or so, or does it work with the ultimaker board only?

thanks

M

Posted (edited) · Tinker firmware - introduction

Hi,

I am trying to compile the current version of the firmware from github with Arduino but get an error:

Arduino: 1.8.12 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

In file included from sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:47:0:

sketch\machinesettings.h: In member function 'bool MachineSettings::has_saved_settings(uint8_t) const':

machinesettings.h:24:87: error: operands to ?: have different types 'MachineSettings::t_machinesettings*' and 'bool'

bool has_saved_settings(uint8_t index) const { return (index < MAX_MACHINE_SETTINGS) ? settings[index] : false; }

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

exit status 1
    operands to ?: have different types 'MachineSettings::t_machinesettings*' and 'bool'

I am no expert on this so it would be great if somebody could give me a hint how to fix this. Or should I better pull a different releas/tag instead of latest?

EDIT: I get the same error when I switch to the V19.03.1tag.

Best regards,

Reiner

Edited by reibuehl

The intention is to compare the pointer with zero, does it work, if you change it like this?

return (index < MAX_MACHINE_SETTINGS) ? settings[index]!=0 : false;

But i think, the whole function is not used at all - you can probably just delete it... 🙂

Yes, with this change it compiles again. Thanks!

On 12/7/2016 at 5:32 AM, gr5 said:

Another reason to switch:

Continue failed print! What an amazing feature!

Also it's so easy to do. Afterwards you will be wondering why you waited so long.

Old post lol

Could you help me out, how to use this? Maybe i ame a bit lazy to search 😉  But can you put me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Rudy

4 hours ago, RudydG said:

Could you help me out, how to use this?

"Advanced -> Expert functions -> Recover print"

You have to input the z-height where the print shall continue. Good luck!

• Like 1

can we change language  ? to spanish thank you

Language of this topic?  No.  There is a spanish section of the forum.  Post there for spanish questions/discussion.

Language of tinkerMarlin?  Maybe!  @tinkergnome?

Does it still work for original ultimaker2? I need to get my old ultimaer2 to work cause I´m in a hurry with my thesis work, and the local power net fails at this time of  the year, I read somewhere that it could resume from power failure is this right?

Yes you can.  tinkerMarlin has a resume feature.  You have to know what layer it failed on.

So tinkermarlin has lots of features including one where you can position the Z value - when the print fails and power comes back on - make sure to quickly get heat back on the bed - then adjust the Z height such that the head is exactly level with the top of the part.  Write down that value on paper.  Then you can resume a print - it asks you for which part off the SD card and what Z value.  Then it sits there seemingly doing nothing but in reality it is reading through the SD card as fast as it can.  It can take several minutes to get through an hour of printing but it's worth the wait.  When it gets to the right layer it continues nicely.  It heats up the nozzle properly also and doesn't slam into your existing print.

So, yes, you can continue failed prints.

NIce! and how do you know what layer is? I was really comfty with the ultimaker 2 as it was but for my thesis I need to print like 20 rolls with 12-20 hour prints and is really important to save all the prints from power failure, even got a prusa for the resume option, but need all the extra help of my old reliable uiltimaker 2

I'd get a uninterruptable power supply.

So you will need 2 of the features that come with tinkerMarlin.  I mentioned above - you can set the Z position of the print head exactly.  In this mode you spin the dial until the nozzle perfectly lines up with the last good layer and you look at the display and it tells you exactly the position of the head.  You want the print to continue on the next layer.

You will have an ugly transition.  If you are off by one layer then it will either over extrude or underextrude.  Even if you get it perfectly the top layer may be only half done.  But it works pretty well.  I've done it.

• Like 1

You don't enter the layer actually - you enter the Z height - the Z position - of where to continue the print.

• Like 1

Is it still good to use Tinker Firmware with my Ultimaker 2+ extended? or beter use stock firmware?

Is anyone having troubles with this firmware and Cura 4.7?

All of a sudden, files I'm slicing will stop printing after a couple hours as if they are finished. Had two cut out after around 2 hours and one just now after about 8 hours. No error message... the print just stops and it says "print completed" on the screen. I've verified that the gcode file is not truncted and the SD card has no errors. I can still print old gcodes just fine.