So which feeder? UM2

Posted · So which feeder? UM2

Probably done to death this but which one.

Not that impressed with the original feeder on the UM2, but like the easy feeding option

Im using the iRobert mod at the moment, but noticed many others. I welcome experience, before I upgrade. I'm really looking for easy loading, non slip, and high print qulity.. I have a suite of 10 UM2, so cost is crucial, but I can be flexible ;)

http://uk-3d.com

So was looking at the

Flex3drive

This option2

option3

Also the other option the UM2 upgrade

I welcome ANY help assistance

David

I would recommend the BondTech feeder which has a geared motor its very much more powerful than the UM upgrade its not cheap but one of the best improvements I have on my UM2

Ah sorry missed that ;)

How did it impove ? did you go direct drive or Bowden

OEM, the new feeder (which is also on the Ultimaker 2+) is already a huge improvement over your feeder and works really well.

As a third party feeder, the bondtech also gets positive reviews from users.

OEM, the new feeder (which is also on the Ultimaker 2+) is already a huge improvement over your feeder and works really well.

As a third party feeder, the bondtech also gets positive reviews from users.

Thanks, think I will order a few of these... what do you think about sponsorship ;)

the Bondtech has much more torque that the UM feeder because of the gear box. my only slight criticism is when an object has huge amounts of retractions the motor can get hot - so I have mounted several heat sinks on the motor to help get rid of it - works for me

the Bondtech has much more torque that the UM feeder because of the gear box. my only slight criticism is when an object has huge amounts of retractions the motor can get hot - so I have mounted several heat sinks on the motor to help get rid of it - works for me

do you mean the UM2 original feeder? or the upgraded?

If you want something that doesn’t surprise and works under heavy and normal use go for bondtech. All the others mk7-mk8-umbolt are half as good as moving the filament with precision. Ofc um optimized cura for their feeder, but that’s software path. I put my money on good hardware over fixes.

• Like 1

Just to throw in my opinion, that the original um2 feeder is perfectly fine for very high quality off the roll printing but on the roll you may have a few quality issues regarding snags and such. I have used many over the years and have never really had any issues printing at 0.06 which is all I print at. (its why I didn't get a makerbot back in the day! phew! dodged a bullet there!!!)

I may get another printer soon, but still debating which one.....I can't afford an extended but maybe a um2+?

If I was to get a new feeder in the future, then @neotko already talked me into getting a bondtech and Ive actually seen his prints close-up for real not just pictures so I trust him fully....

good luck in your choice!

• Like 1

Have Bondtech on my two UM2(+) and very happy with them. Worked with the original UM2+ for 1 year and the Bondtechs are significantly better.

Posted (edited) · So which feeder? UM2

One of the first upgrades I made to my UM2 was an improved belt feeder (three years ago I think) (link to site) which improved the torque and produced better results. It was not without problems so when I came across the BondTech more than a year ago now I jumped at what looked like another step function improvement (have to admit swallowing several times as its not cheap) it just works with any materiel even flexible materiel. It does benefit from periodic cleaning of the teethed gears inside

I have just bought a UM2+ feeder from China and can see that it should be an improvement over the origional but have not installed it yet - its going to be part of the UM dual feeder upgrade for my machine.

Edited by Guest

Can anybody confirm EXACTLY the model number of the motor used in there Bond Tech? Please

I assume that these motors have a smaller angle compared to the original um2?

Also if you went the um2+ , would you need to swap out the motor?

Posted (edited) · So which feeder? UM2

Can anybody confirm EXACTLY the model number of the motor used in there Bond Tech? Please

@bondtech now has an upgrade for um2+ feeders and um3 that reuses the motor and has a shape more UM in black. Looks very interesting and should work great (also you save some bucks)

About the motor maybe they can share the specs since I don’t know on what box I have mine

Edited by Guest

Go Bondtech and you wont look back

• Like 1

10 bond techs is going to cost me :(

So if I have a basic original UM2, I can’t just upgrade the feeder mechanism, without replacing the motor?

@bondtech now has an upgrade for um2+ feeders and um3 that reuses the motor and has a shape more UM in black. Looks very interesting and should work great (also you save some bucks)

About the motor maybe they can share the specs since I don’t know on what box I have mine

I see you made a geared extruder on Thingiverse, I assume the BindTech performs better?

why 10 ?? thought it was 1 um2

I own 10, I have used the context of “one” to keep things simple. Yes I have 10 UM2 , which have never performed brilliantly :(

To be honest I think my original Ultimakers printed much better, and more consistently. Was this due to it having a heater extruder?

I’m gutted that Ultimaker have hi lighted the extrusion issues, and now it’s going to cost me big time to sort out.

So my question still stands, can I replace just the feeder part with the new um2+ geared and adjust the steps, or do I need to replace the motor as well. (I’m happy to make this plural if needed)

I see you made a geared extruder on Thingiverse, I assume the BindTech performs better?

Indeed I did a @meduza version. But after that I moved to a FatIRobertI feeder that uses the cheap bondtech parts (to save cash while using it on 3 printers) and now all my orinters use Gudo & Me ZGE direct drive with bondtech for awesome precision and sweet flexibes or practically anything.

...and now all my orinters use Gudo & Me ZGE direct drive with bondtech for awesome precision and sweet flexibes or practically anything.

And if you do not mind a bit of tinkering, the ZGE solution is the best you can find...imo :)

I installed that on my UMO+ using Bondtech's planetary stepper and it just works...whatever material I feed it with...it just works...no matter how many retractions you have in your prints...and you have full access to the feeder from the top of the printer...gone are the days when you needed access to the back of the printer to load filament.

But if you do not have a need to print a lot of flexible stuff, I second that Bondtech extruder is the way to go. Them drive gears are pure genious. There is a reason why even Prusa himself are using them in the multimaterial upgrade for his "reprap" printer these days.

Will look at the Bond Tech, but again this is going to cost me big time (10 UM2) :(

I was also looking at the Bulldog XL, but can't find many reviews...

Seems to be using same gearbox and nema as the Bond Tech, but obviously not the same gears.. This is half the price for me.

Thoughts

True, but the gears from Bondtech are the best you can find. And they are what makes up the bulk of the additional cost.

Tried to find out what they use in Bulldog XL but it was not obvious, nor showing in any images what gear(s) they use (without spending a lot of time finding out). They may be good, or maybe not. Others can chime in on that. But from what I can see it costs roughly $150 (I did not check if there are cheap Chinese clones available), and that is the same ballpark as Bondtech...

There are people that are happy with the original UM2 one with printed addons from members in this forum also...that would be the overall cheapest upgrade I guess.

In the end, it all depends on your use-case (and wallet) :)

Agreed with all the comments on here.. just wish there was a cheaper option.. as I said my UM originals, provided much better consistent printing..

I’ve tried the Iroberti, which has helped.. the bulldog club might be an option..

I tend to print at 60mm/s. What speed you Bond tech guys getting?

I love my UM2! and print some unbelievable stuff, do not be disappointed with that printer!! its kick ass!....and yes I have the original un-modded black feeders as well.

I just need some new bearings as I have had a few issues in the past.