Change Z Offset / Print in the air

Erkan3D

Posted · Change Z Offset / Print in the air

I want to print in the air without calibrating. Kind of a Z offset is needed.

I tried changing the height of the object (unmarked the auto drop option) but it prints on the surface or it needs support.

Well I am not sure if I fully understand what you want to do but on the build plate select the model and then select the first icon from the vertical list of icons on the left hand side of the window. There you will see the x/y/z/ positions; the z will almost certainly be 0 and if you set it to a +ve number that will raise the model off the bed.

So basically you want to print spaghetti, is that correct? I am a bit curious what the purpose is?

Another method to achieve this might be to raise the design in your CAD editor to the required height. And then at a heigth of 0 add a little square, e.g. 10mm x 10mm, out of the way. So that square will sit on the glass, and the real design will be in the air. And switch off supports.

24 minutes ago, geert_2 said:

So basically you want to print spaghetti, is that correct? I am a bit curious what the purpose is?

Another method to achieve this might be to raise the design in your CAD editor to the required height. And then at a heigth of 0 add a little square, e.g. 10mm x 10mm, out of the way. So that square will sit on the glass, and the real design will be in the air. And switch off supports.

I was thinking about the second option but it would be great to print without adding extra stuff. I tried changing gantry height but didn't work. 

For the purpose... 

Let's say I am trying to make PLA drops. 

Change your layer height to something absurdly high. I just did this with some vasemode prints I am experimenting with and it gave a sugared gumdrop look to the print. You still have to calibrate your z so that it has a basis for measurement to start from.

@Erkan3D there are many ways to do this.

One way is in cura settings to uncheck the feature that forces Z=0 and then click on the part in cura and make sure you have "move" selected in the upper left choices and then change the Z height to a value larger than 0.

2 hours ago, gr5 said:

@Erkan3D there are many ways to do this.

One way is in cura settings to uncheck the feature that forces Z=0 and then click on the part in cura and make sure you have "move" selected in the upper left choices and then change the Z height to a value larger than 0.

I did that and it didn't work. It needs a support otherwise it doesn't print. 

3 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

Change your layer height to something absurdly high. I just did this with some vasemode prints I am experimenting with and it gave a sugared gumdrop look to the print. You still have to calibrate your z so that it has a basis for measurement to start from.

Tried that and it extruded absurdly high :)

2 minutes ago, Erkan3D said:

Tried that and it extruded absurdly high :)

and absurdly in error? ;)

5 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

and absurdly in error? ;)

It extruded very high amount of filament since the volume get bigger 

8 minutes ago, Erkan3D said:

It extruded very high amount of filament since the volume get bigger 

Anything like you wanted?

35 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Anything like you wanted?

Nope. I want to extrude the same amount. 

place a cube or something on the build plate somewhere and scale it very small, too small to print, like 0,1 x 0,1 mm. 

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.3b02d9c53a6f57b37f089262f4cac670.pngHere  I attached an image. In solid view it is in the air but when it is time to print, it ignores the Z offset and prints on the bed.

1 minute ago, peggyb said:

place a cube or something on the build plate somewhere and scale it very small, too small to print, like 0,1 x 0,1 mm. 

That worked! 

I wish there was a setting to print in the air but I can use for now... THANKS!

• Like 1

Very old post but maybe someone will still find it useful...

There's a setting "Remove Empty First Layers".