Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!

Guest maht

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!

One praise to the team: the override finally works from Cura itself, and we don't have to go to Connect on our browser to tell the printer to ignore whatever discrepancies it has detected, which is a time saver when we don't use the RFID system, whetver because we have our own dryboxes or use spools from other brands without RFID. Thanks for fixing this!

2 hours ago, rburema said:

@jeb1 Regarding the wording of what is now the color scheme menu; what wording would you (or anyone else) prefer?

it is all about layers, so layer scheme

• Like 1

Uninstalled within 2 hours I use a custom printer Anet A8

Cura 4.0 did not recognise it had 1.73 mm filament set for the printer.

Adding a custom material did not show up in the materials list when created.

Created unprintable gcode.

Seems like custom printers and filaments are just messed up, I recall this seemed to be an issue in a previous version, was it 2.4?

I have 0.6 nozzle in printer specs and 0.3 layers, sometimes when starting it picks either 1.0 or 1.2 line width to use and will not use the specs I chose

I close it and restart it and it has my specs, so odd

Does anyone know if cura 4,0 works with 3D systems Cube-3 printer and if so do i need a file so the software can see the Cube 3 

because I do not see it on the startup list any help info please

thanks

charlie

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!

New Cura version fails to slice the decorative cover, see the picture attached. I also attach the stl files of the original drawing.

Kapot.jpg

Kapot.stl Kapot-2.stl

Edited by ROSMES

And advice to the developers - please consider adding the functionality similar to Process in Simplify3D (ability to adjust the thickness of the layer; number of lines in the perimeter (width of the perimeter); percentage of filling). It can be applied to particular height of the item.

20 minutes ago, ROSMES said:

New Cura version fails to slice the decorative cover, see the picture attached. I also attach the stl files of the original drawing.

Kapot.jpg

Kapot.stl 2.69 MB · 0 downloads Kapot-2.stl 2.7 MB · 0 downloads

Freecad thinks your model is broken...

Screenshot_2019-04-03_11-12-32.thumb.png.b67cd3ebc57d859c4badbd64cddffd7d.png

• Like 1

Both models are essentially 2D shells. There is nothing to give it thickness.

It seems that Cura 4.0 Cloud will not connect to a remote server behind a proxy. Is this the case? Or is it maybe a security or firewall setting?

I click on the "Sign In" button, Chrome launches, I log into my Ultimaker account, wait some time, and then I get the message 

Not signed in

Please allow the application to access the requested data. You can do this by signing in again and clicking Allow.

I never see an allow button. 

Running Windows 7 and Windows 10, same issue. Running Windows 7 at home with no proxy works fine.

Does anyone have any tips? 

I can still connect to the marketplace with no problems. 

8 hours ago, sbigelow said:

It seems that Cura 4.0 Cloud will not connect to a remote server behind a proxy. Is this the case? Or is it maybe a security or firewall setting?

I click on the "Sign In" button, Chrome launches, I log into my Ultimaker account, wait some time, and then I get the message 

Not signed in

Please allow the application to access the requested data. You can do this by signing in again and clicking Allow.

I never see an allow button. 

Running Windows 7 and Windows 10, same issue. Running Windows 7 at home with no proxy works fine.

Does anyone have any tips? 

I can still connect to the marketplace with no problems. 

Did you ever (in the past) see a screen where it asked you to either allow or deny Cura from accessing certain data?

11 hours ago, ctbeke said:

Did you ever (in the past) see a screen where it asked you to either allow or deny Cura from accessing certain data?

Thanks for your response.

No, I never saw an "allow" or "deny" prompt, other than the standard Windows Allow / Deny while installing. Two different computers, two different OS, same story. I think it must have something to do with the McAfee firewall, which I cannot change (corporate policy prevents modifying firewall). I see the website trying to make a request to "Localhost" and that eventually times out. At home, that request goes through. 

I've also tried setting my default browser to IE, and that doesn't work either. 

It's OK -- I see that Cura *still* doesn't support telling you the model names of parts on the build plate (even with multi build plate option enabled), so I'll just continue to use S3D for most of my work. This is a must-have feature for me. Cura tends to produce better quality slices in my experience, but I work with a lot of models that look very similar. 

On 4/4/2019 at 9:25 PM, sbigelow said:

Thanks for your response.

No, I never saw an "allow" or "deny" prompt, other than the standard Windows Allow / Deny while installing. Two different computers, two different OS, same story. I think it must have something to do with the McAfee firewall, which I cannot change (corporate policy prevents modifying firewall). I see the website trying to make a request to "Localhost" and that eventually times out. At home, that request goes through. 

I've also tried setting my default browser to IE, and that doesn't work either. 

It's OK -- I see that Cura *still* doesn't support telling you the model names of parts on the build plate (even with multi build plate option enabled), so I'll just continue to use S3D for most of my work. This is a must-have feature for me. Cura tends to produce better quality slices in my experience, but I work with a lot of models that look very similar. 

Mm if your firewall blocks setting up a local server, I'm afraid the login flow is not going to work for you (we need that server that Cura spawns as a redirect location for the authentication tokens). Would your IT department be able to make an exception for Cura?

Ever since updating to cura 4.0 stable I'm having difficulty selecting parts when zoomed out enough to get the whole bed on screen, weirdly if i use the right mouse button the part selects immediately and the context menu pops up as expected. If i zoom in so just the part fills the screen its easier to select.

Anybody else have this issue?

6 hours ago, ctbeke said:

Mm if your firewall blocks setting up a local server, I'm afraid the login flow is not going to work for you (we need that server that Cura spawns as a redirect location for the authentication tokens). Would your IT department be able to make an exception for Cura?

No, I doubt IT would make an exception for Cura. We are a high tech firm with over 120,000 employees, and corporate security is a high priority. Even though this wouldn't compromise corporate security, it would take an act of Congress to convince the IT people of that, and another act to get them to open the firewall settings. 2 years from now it might actually work, but that's literally how long it would take.

Oddly enough, I can SSH out of the firewall and then tunnel through ports over SSH, and that all works well. By the same token, I can log in from S3D and authenticate, going straight through the corporate proxy server. Fusion 360 also works well that way.

I guess the way Cura was designed, a proxy wasn't fully comprehended and it was just assumed that a token or local server could be passed from the web browser to the app, instead of trying to talk through the proxy directly using the system settings. Seems like a backdoor method to bypass proxies that will eventually get closed, but appears to work for now in most cases.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!

Thank you for all the effort you guys put into this new release of Cura 4. Beside all new technical features, which are great, the new interface is not. Everything looks designed as of it needs to be "easy of use for every moron in the world". But i hope Ultimaker can imagine most of their customers are not businessman in three-piece suit who like to 3D print with only three mouse clicks away.

No we are engineers who want to tune endlessly to get the best out of our 3D printer.
    An compact and "technical" design fits within such demand. Please think about the following recommendations i would suggest:

1. Get rid of all the useless space. I want to focus on the project NOT on a Marketplace button i will barely use or "step by step" tabs that make no sense at all.
    2. The print setting are the most value thing to work with. It's needs to be tuned for almost every project. Make this an fixed pane as in Cura 3.6 and move it to the right full height.
    3. Give the slide bars for scrolling thru the layers an accessible place and next to each other.

image.thumb.png.d934dd4bbb4380591d5a63258656820a.png

I hope this is something to look forward in an upcoming update

Thank you

Edited by MIO
    • Like 2

The Sidebar GUI plugin available from the Marketplace fixes most of your points.

• Like 3

@ahoeben

Why make a fix for something that can be made correct the first time. I think a good compromise will be an "Easy" and "Advanced" layout. "Easy" for all people who like shiny and basic look with three click print setup. "Advanced" for all engineers that needs to get thinks done!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MIO said:

I think a good compromise will be an "Easy" and "Advanced" layout.

Basically what we had before with the 'Recommended' and 'Custom' options for Print Setup. They should have kept it.

We still have 'Recommended' and 'Custom'?

We're aware of the feedback re: the new UI/UX, and are looking into it. However, it's likely that you'll not see much of our response to that in the next version yet, since we started working on that since before 4.0 came out, and we try to release often so what can be in any single release is often limited.

Damn, that's right: there is a 'Custom' with an 'on' and 'off' slider button thing on the top... I didn't saw it until now...

As long as you're aware of it and plan on addressing it at some point soon, it's alright, and we have ahoben's plugin in the meantime.

23 hours ago, MIO said:

@ahoeben

Why make a fix for something that can be made correct the first time.

Because I can make a plugin that fixes some of your issues, but I have no say about the UI of Ultimaker Cura? Would you rather I don't make an alternative GUI? I don't understand responses like this.

Note that what the plugin does would not have been possible with a plugin in previous versions of Cura. Ultimaker have made the Cura UI more plugin-friendly. Now you have a choice, even if you don't like the default option.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

Because I can make a plugin that fixes some of your issues, but I have no say about the UI of Ultimaker Cura? Would you rather I don't make an alternative GUI? I don't understand responses like this.

Let me make clear i really appreciate the effort you put into such plugin. It probably takes a lot of time and it really adds value to Cura 4.0.
    But i try to make an statement to the Cura UI designers that are aiming for "easy" use instead of "advanced" / "practical" use.

Again i appreciate your plugin and certainly will use it. Thank you for that.

• Like 2