Ultimaker² lead time update

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker² lead time update

Hi Geeks,

Today I found out there was a delay with your replacement order.

I was not notified about this, so unfortunately I was unaware that it wasn't send out yet.

I was promised that it would be send out Monday and I will make sure this happens.

Thank you for your patience and understanding,

• Replies 588
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first long print on Ultimaker 2. prints really nice I am impressed the small details are really good! :grin: I'm very happy with this machine some small issues with the 14.01 update when it finishes the print it just restarts and burns my print, why is this??? :rolleyes:

enjoy the video..

My first long print on Ultimaker 2. prints really nice I am impressed the small details are really good! :grin: I'm very happy with this machine some small issues with the 14.01 update when it finishes the print it just restarts and burns my print, why is this??? :rolleyes:

enjoy the video..

How long was the print?

the last one i did was 16 hours, but Really nice!

How long was the print?

the last one i did was 16 hours, but Really nice!

not sure but it was pretty long..

Thanks for the video but maybe it should be on another thread such as this one:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/467-post-your-latest-print/page-52&do=findComment&comment=32374

Oh Thanks! gr5... LOL I see you everywhere :grin: what thread is good for speed printing I like to test my um2 for the highest detail and the manageable fastest speeds? What model do you recommend to test with? I like to fine tune my machine for different filaments... I am receiving ABS red, PLA- white,black and PLA flexible black. :mrgreen:

I like to thank Ultimaker for HOOKen Me UP yeeeaaa! :mrgreen:

One month of waiting...done. One month to go!

(any chance of an expected ship date for my order?)

@Stuart838 - any date they give you is unreliable.

I just sent in my cancel request - since this is the beginning of week 3 of January ( the 10th week since I ordered ) and was told in mid-December that

Your Ultimaker 2 is scheduled to be shipped in week 02 of January.

I am afraid I do not have an exact date.

We have doubled our production and hope to send you the Ultimaker 2 sooner.

That last bit is especially irking since there was -> zero <- chance that that would happen. As I said previously,

If the scaling is only keeping up with increasing new orders, it is rather disingenuous to imply that the current backlog is going to be processed faster.

As I have given all the time they have asked for and was agreed to and that a) the U2 is still having production QC issues B) the new U2 head seems to clog often c) There are other interesting prospects now available or on the near horizon ( you certainly can get them faster than ordering and actually receiving a U2 today ) d) this is the worst online ordering experience I've ever made (and I've made plenty over the years ) and e) Ultimaker seems so far behind that it seems ot be impacting repairs, I feel canceling is the best course of action.

For people trying to figure out what the wait time really is, go to the ultimakter u2 order page and look at what their stated lead time is and take the largest number (afaics, they haven't made their lower bound since October). If you see people posting on this forum/thread that they are actually getting it sooner than that backlog, then adjust accordingly.

Meanwhile it makes sense to raise the price a bit. But this is a complicated marketing decision and most companies keep the price low even when demand is very high. I think it's silly to keep the price low but obviously raising the price will annoy a lot of people. I think that it's better to annoy your non-customers than annoy your customers. So I vote for raising the price until you can ramp up your shipping some more. But I don't work for Ultimaker and also I'm not a marketing expert.

The U2 is already in the upper bound of what the printer is offering - look at it this way, if you raise the price by not too much ( say 300-500 USD), you can certainly buy two fairly good printers for that amount. The Felix guys did what I suggested previously - stop taking orders until you get the lead time under control - this path annoys the least amount of people. I can say for sure that as a (hopefully former) customer, I am certainly annoyed by how it is currently belng handled.

And still no news of the sending of the room. :oops:

I hope that the part replace was shipped yesterday. I hope to be able to quickly resume printing.

I wait patiently.

Thank you for your help and for your answers. :cool:

@Roger Fujii

I can see why you are frustrated. My "one month down...one month to go" is based on the 8 from the 6-8 weeks I was told.

To be honest, as much as I want this right now I can be patient (but god help them if it arrives late and is faulty! :wink: ).

Out of interest, what interesting projects are available/on the horizon?

je regarde aussi les autres marques, on ne sait jamais si la mienne prend trop de retard aussi !!!!! la Cubepro et la Z18 :)

@Roger Fujii

I can see why you are frustrated.

Frustrated isn't the right word.... it's the feeling you get when you've been put on hold on the phone for two hours with the message "We consider your call very important...." repeating all the while for a problem they force you to call on, and you know they just laid off half the customer support staff ( 'they' meaning a random company, not meaning Ultimaker, just to be clear )

My "one month down...one month to go" is based on the 8 from the 6-8 weeks I was told.

Xperiment's wait time for an October order was 10 weeks. Mine (ordered in early/mid Nov, and was also told 8 weeks as late as mid December) is/was in its 10th week. The current stated wait time for a new order is 8-10 weeks (at least they owned up to that it wasn't 6-8 weeks). Not trying to sound crass, but given that, what is the probability that yours will take 8 weeks?

Out of interest, what interesting projects are available/on the horizon?

The Felix printer is notable. Hearing good things on the Zortrax. There's some people at a local makerspace that is working on a high fidelity printer. There are also some reasonable deltabots that are entering into the picture. All of these are less than the U2, but would probably suffice for the near term, plus they would most likely treat their current/potential customers better. The Z18 is interesting, but expensive, but as with @sylvain, keeping an eye on this.

Hello,

This day, still no news of the send ... :evil:

I would be forgotten by any chance?

the new U2 head seems to clog often

It is true that there are at least 3 people who have problems with clogging heads. There are probably at least 100 who have never experienced any. There just isn't much data out there on how much of a problem this is. This is a problem with many 3D printers unfortunately and the UM2 is very well designed to minimize this.

Two of those 3 people seem to have finally solved their problem. In completely different ways (one had a problem with a teflon piece that had melted slightly, the other didn't have his bowden tube situated firmly enough).

3D printers unfortunately are not at the level of plug and play as say an HP inkjet printer. Check out the makerbot community if you want to see unhappy customers. But I think the UM1 and UM2 are a good product for the price. I'm sure in 10 years they will be considered junk.

I actually think you're right Gr5. :)

But look ... Since December I am Ultimaker² is down and not much solution before me.

I am forced to wait in addition to waiting for the machine. I am now 3 months :eek: .

I can understand that they have much to do and due. Errors are possible and we are ready to entenders.

That said, in 10 years, Ultimaker has grown up, and I hope we will be regaled beautiful machines and customs.

So even if I show myself a little annoyed at this point, I can not print, I doubt no real desire to extricate himself from these worries.

In ettendant, I hope my new heated bed on the road or not far from being.

Check out the makerbot community if you want to see unhappy customers.

If you really want to see unhappy customers, check out the Qu-Bd forums ;-)

But gr5 is absolutely right; there are a few very active, vocal users on here trying to get the very best possible results, and comparing notes on how to overcome issues. One of the strengths of the UM forums, I think, is just how much openness there is about issues, and how everyone works together to try to track down problems and fix them - and everyone progresses in their printing skills as a result, and the printers get better.

But for all of those folks discussing problems there are lots more saying nothing, and just getting great results from their printers. There have been some teething problems with meeting demand, and maintaining build quality, but improvements are being made, and lessons learned, and the truth is that none of those issues are show stoppers in the way that some other printers have experienced. That's not to diminish the understandable frustration, nor to say that they aren't things that need to be fixed; but most of the problems that folks experienced were easy to fix with some basic maintenance skills, and for the rest UM and the community are learning a lot as questions are raised, and issues diagnosed and fixed.

@Héctor, and you are not alone. The silence from UM-staff is getting quite annoying :-|

It is true that there are at least 3 people who have problems with clogging heads. There are probably at least 100 who have never experienced any.

You have no data to support that. Just because people don't complain, doesn't mean they don't have the problem. I, for one, wouldn't complain about it (assuming the method(s) to clear it worked (and assuming I had a printer to begin with)) and as long as it didn't happen too often. You could think of it like the reasons for product recalls (and I am in no way saying that the U2 should be recalled). Stuff gets recalled because there is an acknowledged problem - not because lots of people have the problem. Setting this aside, it's certainly not unfair to say that there's reason to believe there are issues with the new head design.

3D printers unfortunately are not at the level of plug and play as say an HP inkjet printer. Check out the makerbot community if you want to see unhappy customers. But I think the UM1 and UM2 are a good product for the price. I'm sure in 10 years they will be considered junk.

All I was saying was that the printer certainly isn't perfect, and one must weigh its imperfections and other factors with the very long backlog the Ultimaker 2 has. Obviously, print heads clogging isn't an unknown issue with 3D printers - so much so that various manufacturers have designed in easily replaceable (or even almost disposable) heads. Though the U2's largest problem is sales support - something of Ultimaker's own making.

Are orders placed this week already outside the 10 week lead time estimate?

Invoice# R037064875 for reference

SandervG,

I just got a Bill from DHL for 47.02 for shipping why Am I being Billed for shipping?????????? :mad: I order a Ultimaker 2 shipped to Texas in the U.S. Has anyone get a bill for DHL for shipping Ultimaker 2 in U.S.?

Vinay... have you received your UM2 yet? Is it actually a bill for shipping or is it for customs clearance, or something like that?

Vinay... have you received your UM2 yet? Is it actually a bill for shipping or is it for customs clearance, or something like that?

Yes I received my UM2 last week, it is a Customs Duty Invoice and the due date is the 15th I have to Pay for this I thought Ultimaker would?

So I have to Pay A Total Amount for the Ultimaker 2 $89.15 + $47.02 = $136.17 for shipping and Customs Duty to U.S. ???

Are orders placed this week already outside the 10 week lead time estimate?

No matter what the answer is, you have to have some confidence that the answer is right. While I would fault Ultimaker for being unrealistically optimistic about their ability to clear backlog and try to obfuscate what the backlog is, I haven't seen a documented out-right lie (yet). My suspicion is that they didn't properly account for the xmas/new years slowdown and there may also have been a blip in the number of orders which caused them to revise the lead time from 6-8 (realistically 8-10) to 8-10 (I'll leave it to you to figure out what the realistic wait time is).

Here's how you can piece together what it is going to be. Look around for how long people say it took them to get one (I would suggest as a service to readers that people reading this should post the order date and when the order was shipped so that other people can have a feeling on how long a realistic wait is). As of this post, they seem to be working on orders in the early November time frame. Then grub around for people who post what the answer to their lead time query were. Just saw something with a Nov 20 with a quote for 1st week in Feb ( almost 11 weeks ).

Now, this period is somewhat tricky because of the anomaly that the xmas/new years period induces. On the good(?) side, you'll have people like me that's tired of the shenanigans and drop out (well, trying to, anyway), and there's no scheduled Dutch holidays for the near future, so if there was ever a time they would make progress on their backlog, it would be in this period. However, and I said this before, there is no reason to believe your order would be fulfilled sooner than the what you see people currently getting. That is, if you were quoted 8, and people are saying they have waited 10 weeks, don't expect that 8 week estimate is accurate until you see someone saying they got one in less than 10 weeks.