Coronavirus: Let's do our part

SandervG

Posted · Coronavirus: Let's do our part

Hi all, 

First of all, I hope everyone is safe and sound! These are bizarre times, and a lot of people need help. At Ultimaker we also took notice and we formalised a plan that we feel allows us to help as much people as possible by doing what we do best; collaborating and local manufacturing. 

Through this post I would like to further explain what we are doing, and what you could be doing. 

Coronavirus: Let’s do our part. 

The COVID-19 virus is affecting many lives and is putting a lot of strain on the medical supplies and infrastructure. This is generating a demand for spare parts which, understandably, can not be obtained in sufficient quantities from the original suppliers. Ultimaker believes, with our network and expertise we can help by:

• Connect medical institutions and hospitals to (local) 3D Printing hubs to help them print parts of which a 3D model already exists

• Contribute to design the necessary part, and then have it printed via a (local) 3D printing hub. Experts are available from within Ultimaker and from within our network of 3D printing experts. 

It is important to note that this help is intended only to relieve immediate shortages under these very exceptional circumstances the (medical) word is facing, and 3D printed parts should be replaced by the original spare parts as soon as possible. 

What can you do?

We have created a form that helps us to map whoever is capable and willing to help. If you have proficient CAD modelling skills, and/or you have an Ultimaker 3D printer available; please fill out this form.

Please note that if you want to offer help you have to start at #16

With the input that we receive we will create a map with all available resources and we will use to connect those who need help, with those who can provide it. The map will be publicly available, so it is possible that you are being approached directly by (local) hospitals. Alternatively, when we receive a request that matches your availability, we will create a connection. This is a direct link to the live map

When you fill out the form you might notice that we only ask which Ultimaker 3D printers you have. Why only Ultimaker 3D printers?
Obviously, the more the merrier and anyone who can help, should. Within our attempt to help we provide CAD support and we can provide specific 3D printing guidelines for the best results. Some of our application engineers and other experts are available to provide such guidelines and support, but our experience is limited to our own Ultimaker printers. Our expert advice would not automatically match other existing systems. Luckily, other initiatives exist where you can help if you don’t own an Ultimaker. Here are a few other initiatives that you could sign up for if you don’t own an Ultimaker or if you want to do more:
-   https://www.projectopenair.org/  
-   https://projectopenair.nl/
-   https://helpwithcovid.com
-   https://hackquarantine.com

Together, we can make a difference and we can help those that are in need. If you have the time and resources to help, please fill out the form. Thank you so much for your time, and if you have any questions, please write them below. 

• Like 1

Hi! Do own UM3 Extended. Working with legal PLM Siemens NX10 CAD software. Location Estonia. Have little storage of printing material. Most of it Colorfabb XT, HT, nGenFLEX.  Also available Verbatim PLA, Ultimakers CPE, NYLON etc. Happy to help if needed. Be safe! Marko

• Thanks 1

Hi, I have two Ultimaker 2 printers (one at home and the other in my office) and about 100 reels of mostly ABS which I could put to use.

I am located near Peterborough in the UK.

Thanks

Bruce

• Thanks 1

Hi sander, we( Craft3D) have 3 Ultimaker s5 (and 3 more printers), and we offerd our services for free of charge to our local hospitals(Timisoara, Romania) and anyone who try to combat covid-19.

I think it will help for us to reach everyone in need of our services if we as a hub will be in the map.

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Kerat said:

Hi sander, we( Craft3D) have 3 Ultimaker s5 (and 3 more printers), and we offerd our services for free of charge to our local hospitals(Timisoara, Romania) and anyone who try to combat covid-19.

I think it will help for us to reach everyone in need of our services if we as a hub will be in the map.

Thank you.

Amazing! I will also send you a link to the form when it is back up and we'll put you on asap. Thank you!! 

• Thanks 1

Update: The form is back up. I will send everyone a DM. 

Update 2: The form was back up. Apologies for the technical challenges once again. 

Update 3: The form is back up again, using a different form. 

Hi Sander,

unfortunately I am unable to acces the form.  I really would like to help, we own a S5 in our company and I also have one S5 at home, including differnt filaments from ABS to PLA and others. I have acces to Solidworks CAD and studied Mechanical Engineering, so if I can do anything, let me know. We are located near Heidelberg in Germany.

Thanks,

Jonas

• Thanks 1

Ditto here in Ottawa.  Form is flagged.

Happy to help!

I can't see the form so this next question might be answered, but if we can be connected to sources of filament that are remaining open and known to work with the parts we need to make, that would be excellent....

Great initiative. 

Best wishes to all and your loved ones. 

John

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, DidierKlein said:

@SandervG it says:

Form can no longer be accessed.
    This form has been flagged for potential phishing.

Hi Didier, I've updated the link. The form kept being taken down. We now moved to a different platform; here is a link to the new form. If you want to offer help, you should start at #16. Thank you! 

12 minutes ago, JohnInOttawa said:

Ditto here in Ottawa.  Form is flagged.

Happy to help!

I can't see the form so this next question might be answered, but if we can be connected to sources of filament that are remaining open and known to work with the parts we need to make, that would be excellent....

Great initiative. 

Best wishes to all and your loved ones. 

John

Hi John, thank you so much for stepping up. The form is now available again. Are you in need for a specific type of material? 

Hi,

I've got a Ultimaker 2+ at work (Norwich, UK, although I could take it home - near Ipswich) and only 4, maybe 5 including part reels of PLA. Hopefully I could get hold of more reels of filament. I've also got access to Rhino 3D. I know it's not much, but happy to do anything I can to help.

Thanks

James

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, jogra93 said:

Hi Sander,

unfortunately I am unable to acces the form.  I really would like to help, we own a S5 in our company and I also have one S5 at home, including differnt filaments from ABS to PLA and others. I have acces to Solidworks CAD and studied Mechanical Engineering, so if I can do anything, let me know. We are located near Heidelberg in Germany.

Thanks,

Jonas

Hi Jonas, thank you for reporting for duty! It's really appreciated! The form is available again via this link. Please let me know if you have any further questions. 

Just now, jpparkinson said:

Hi,

I've got a Ultimaker 2+ at work (Norwich, UK, although I could take it home - near Ipswich) and only 4, maybe 5 including part reels of PLA. Hopefully I could get hold of more reels of filament. I've also got access to Rhino 3D. I know it's not much, but happy to do anything I can to help.

Thanks

James

Hi @jpparkinson, did you fill out the form? Only then you can be added to the map which will be the initial source for connecting people. 

I've tried to fill out the form as best I can.  As for materials, I guess it will depend on the need.  I have lots of PLA but limited nylon, a fair bit of PETG.  Maybe we can put together a chart of what materials are best and safe for what medical applications, any other info like tendency to promote static electricity or things that might interfere with medical devices would be good to know too.

Here we go!

John

On a related note, there are probably a number of ultimakers out there potentially sitting idle for one reason or another.  Is there a way to put out a public call to check for eligible printers and perhaps connect with the nearest active hub that can put the printer to work? 

I know there are many complexities with doing so, not the least of which is social distancing requirements, but given that these printers wipe down pretty well and we already use isopropyl on the print beds, this might be a way to multiply the number of printers we can bring to bear.

One further thought - some of the business where there are bound to be many of these printers, are shut down.   If there is an essential service that these printers can provide, perhaps limited access to employees, again, respecting social distancing, can be granted to permit the printers to function.

John

Hello everyone,

i've filled the form but didn't notice any area where to specific my 3d printer model and materials. Just in case i've missed something, i'm gonna type it here:

Location is Italy, Sicily, Palermo; printer is Ultimaker 2 Extended+ with about twenty PLA spools available; i can provide design support if necessary.

I'd be glad to help in anyway i can and thanks everyone for your initiative and support.

Take care and stay safe,

Marco

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnInOttawa said:

I've tried to fill out the form as best I can.  As for materials, I guess it will depend on the need.  I have lots of PLA but limited nylon, a fair bit of PETG.  Maybe we can put together a chart of what materials are best and safe for what medical applications, any other info like tendency to promote static electricity or things that might interfere with medical devices would be good to know too.

Here we go!

John

I think which material will be necessary will depend on which application a specific hospital needs. When we have a request we can see which hub can help best. Logging all this in advance was too complicated to do clearly on such a short timeframe, with the amount of differences that exist. 

Would you be interested in non ultimaker equipment in this network?

Our organisation have some very well equipped labs with additive manufacturing technology and there's an ongoing discussion how we might be able to help

Hi @AndersK thank you for stepping up! 

More people/machines, more people that can be helped. Except we won't be able to provide any expert advice if we don't have any experience with those systems. You can send me a DM and I can make a note, so when there is a request for your systems we could connect. However we wouldn't really be able to support. 

Simultaneously, have you looked at the other projects I've shared? 
    -   https://www.projectopenair.org/  
    -   https://projectopenair.nl/
    -   https://helpwithcovid.com
    -   https://hackquarantine.com

Posted (edited) · Coronavirus: Let's do our part
    2 hours ago, SandervG said:

I think which material will be necessary will depend on which application a specific hospital needs. When we have a request we can see which hub can help best. Logging all this in advance was too complicated to do clearly on such a short timeframe, with the amount of differences that exist. 

Completely agree.  More a question on how we might verify a supply of what is needed before we take on a product request.  I appreciate this is coming together quickly and we'll fill in the blanks as we go. 

What's the normal time frame from signing up to appearing on the map?  You are probably already dealing with a backlog, at least I hope so! 😉

Good on you

John

Edited by JohnInOttawa