Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
michiel950

Finishing printed objects

Hi,

I am Michiel from Dremel and I have a question. I am interested in how you finish printed objects. Or perhaps I need to take it one step back: do you finish printed objects at all? If you do finish objects, how do you do this and are Dremel tools and accessories used? I am very interested in your experiences. Many thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Michiel

A dremel or other similar rotary tool will spin too fast and create too much friction to be useful in most cases I would think. Even slowly drilling a part may cause too much heat. Cooling with water helps in most cases but I think the speed of a rotary tool is simply a bit too much.

I normally use a scalpel for post-processing. Usually that means scratching off the Brim / support material and other irregularities. I also clip / trim any edges with the blade. That doesn't really lead to good results, but it's fast.

There is a way of "chemical post-processing" by means of putting the printed object into a bath of a suitable solvent to abrade any small and thin irregularity. But I never tried that and I don't know any more details about this, except that there is some thread here in the forums about this topic.

Maybe you could develop a low power sand-blasting Dremel (with glass pearls but I don't know how that's called in english), I would definetly buy one :)

Dremel is just a bad tool, it has only two settings, melting plastic fast and insanly- I dont't want to hold it in my hands -fast.

I use a Proxxon, it is much better, 1- very good slow speed for plastics , 2- no more special 3.2mm bits 3-quiet !

Proxxon-28462-Precision-Drill-Grinder-Green_114509_3717095943d3ed82afeafbb1cda4daea.jpg

I often use a dremel with either sanding buffs for wide area clean up, and engraving tips for cleaning up hard to reach spots. As others have noted, temperature management is a problem - it's too easy to melt the plastic. I've also thought that some sort of small-scale sand-blasting tool would be ideal for cleaning up prints.

I often use a dremel with either sanding buffs for wide area clean up, and engraving tips for cleaning up hard to reach spots. As others have noted, temperature management is a problem - it's too easy to melt the plastic. I've also thought that some sort of small-scale sand-blasting tool would be ideal for cleaning up prints.

Nice to see someone else also likes the idea :)

I was actually more serious about this than it sounded... I'd really like to have my own sandblasting tool.

Just googled around and it seems there actually are handheld sandblasters on the market. I've never seen one in an actual store though and I'm not very confident about buying from Ebay..

Make a Dremel Sandblaster! :D

Maybe it is not as bad to make a dremel attachment for sandblasting.

In my unbiased view,

there should be a fitter to put onto the dremel,

a rotary fan which converts the rotating speed of the dremel to air speed

an inlet to a sand holder container which the container is airtight,

an outlet from that container ( preferably tangential entrance? to keep the particles suspended in air when coming out)

preferably an open point between the inlet and outlet of the container, to force air to go to the container, but to also have more carrying air,

and a nozzle

perhaps the dremel isn't really needed, i heard there is a fan/ compressor design on youmagine.com.

Just my 2 cents as a process engineer.

Paint skills!

Naamloos.pnghttps://www.dropbox.com/s/ihfo64p4er80cgu/Naamloos.png

I'm pretty sure a Dremmel doesn't provide enough power for making a sand blaster from. I would guess you would need a minimum of 500 Watts. My Dremmel chokes all the time with a small cutting disk. If you really want to make something like that I'd use a mains powered drill. In my limited experience of particle blasting, there's a very fine line between producing a nice (ish) finish, and messing your part up. I think there are better ways to finish your part.

Maybe it is not as bad to make a dremel attachment for sandblasting.

In my unbiased view,

there should be a fitter to put onto the dremel,

a rotary fan which converts the rotating speed of the dremel to air speed

an inlet to a sand holder container which the container is airtight,

an outlet from that container ( preferably tangential entrance? to keep the particles suspended in air when coming out)

preferably an open point between the inlet and outlet of the container, to force air to go to the container, but to also have more carrying air,

and a nozzle

perhaps the dremel isn't really needed, i heard there is a fan/ compressor design on youmagine.com.

Just my 2 cents as a process engineer.

Paint skills!

Naamloos.pnghttps://www.dropbox.com/s/ihfo64p4er80cgu/Naamloos.png

Hi,

The (sand)blasting concept is interesting. Who knows, could be something to look into for us.

Michiel