Firmware 5.8.2 for S-line printers is now available

Szahari

Posted (edited) · Firmware 5.8.2 for S-line printers is now available

Hi all,

Today we've released another patch upgrade for the S-line printers - you can now download firmware 5.8.2. In this release we have introduced a loading error wizard for the Pro Bundle which catches errors whereby loading would have failed. The wizard provides the user with a chance to recover from this error. Read more about this wizard here : ultimaker.com/loadingwizard

Furthermore, improvements to the NFC reading mean that the Pro Bundle should more often correctly read the filament type and material left.

Release notes:

Introduced loading error wizard for end of filament. When a critical error occurs during loading at an end of filament (ER52, ER54 & ER56), users will now be shown an error recovery wizard. By following the steps and correcting the fault users can prevent the critical errors from showing up and ensure their print resumes correctly.

NFC improvements. Improvements have been done to NFC spool detection. The Pro Bundle can now more reliably read the NFC tag of the material loaded. The chance of an unknown material detection is significantly decreased, leading to less chance of orange exclamation mark. For best results, always load the material by placing on the left hand side of the loading bay.

Theres some small bug fixes in there too. As always, let us know how you experience this firmware.

And to reiterate - soon, we will release firmware 6.0 which includes a Debian upgrade to the system. There will not be a way to downgrade from 6.0.

Edited by Szahari
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, spsid13 said:

Does this also fix the issue where Aquasys 120 wasn't being recognized by the printer? 

Trying to remember if that made it into the release, I think we found that the ER998 was fixed, but there could obviously be another reason that specific material failed to load and at least one possible reason did not make it in.

I'll check in the morning whether I am right about that.

/EDIT

@spsid13 checked and confirmed, the ER998 with material loading from cura was fixed in the 5.8.2

Edited by robinmdh
checking stuff

Posted · Firmware 5.8.2 for S-line printers is now available
    1 hour ago, Jman15x said:

Ever since I updated today I haven't been able to get a print on my s5 pro bundle. Seems to warm up and cool down indefinitely 

Usually the hotends not heating up is related to the pogo pins between the printhead and the print core, try cleaning up the contacts on both sides and try again.

The error is caused by protection code that hasn't been changed in this release.

If you still think it's software you can try these steps:

If you have any materials loaded try to unload them first, possibly do a factory reset, and then try again.

If that fails you can downgrade to 5.8.1 via usb, here are links to the files, only one will work but select the R1 only if there is a robot on the side of your printer.

http://software.ultimaker.com/releases/firmware/9051/stable/5.8.1/um-update-5.8.1-R1.swu

http://software.ultimaker.com/releases/firmware/214475/stable/5.8.1/um-update-5.8.1.swu

I'm going to answer my own question about the NFC improvements and the Material Station. Prior to 5.8.2, getting the Material Station to read NFC codes was a real pain. It could take 8-10 tries to get it to work and it seldom worked the first time. I did a lot of loading and unloading with some filaments that were in the 8-10-try category this evening to test the improvements, and even added a filament the station hadn't seen before. Everything worked the first time. 

• Like 1
    • Thanks 3

@dcschooley Thanks for the testing and feedback!

/edit after waking up
    We could certainly not replicate a situation as bad as you describe so it means a lot to hear this from you!

Edited by robinmdh

Great!!!

It appears that canceling a print no longer works properly. It's now necessary to disconnect the printer from the power and restart so that the "cancellation" works.

And it's necessary to have to cancel because the use of the Original BreakAway has not worked properly since 2 weeks.

In a nutshell: CHF 11,500 thrown in the bucket. Or: The Ultimaker "engineers" (or rather hobbyists) should really start to feel ashamed.

But probably everyone of the Ultimaker Team in this forum will say again that they never - never!!! - make a mistake and are testing all things properly and only we users are completely unable to use their machine.

Shame on you!

Is there any support (even one that has to be paid for). I haven't been able to work productively for 2 weeks.

And about the "normal" support I have to specify everything 10 times.

Edited by Roli4711

Furthermore, I can no longer unload any material. The button is not active via the material itself and the wizard in the printcore menu starts via the print core (s), but stops and does nothing even after 30 minutes.

6 hours ago, Roli4711 said:

But probably everyone of the Ultimaker Team in this forum will say again that they never - never!!! - make a mistake and are testing all things properly and only we users are completely unable to use their machine.

Shame on you!

Hi there Roli? While it's clear that you are frustrated, I'm not sure if this tone of voice really helps in any way. I don't think the support people are going to be more willing to help you if you shame them or call them hobbyist. Frankly one could ask himself how professional it is to use those qualifications here in a professional public forum. We are all here to help out community and everybody is doing their best I think.  We do indeed test our firmware (for at least 2 whole weeks) before we ship it. We test about 30 different abort flows alone and  200+ flows in total *every* single release. Of course there are always going to be cases that we did not forsee. If we find such a case we usually fix that within 2 weeks (+ 2 more weeks for testing) and then we release the fix within 4 - 6 weeks.

That being said: Can you contact support as we would like to know exactly what triggers this behaviour, so we can fix it. Also when I read:  "And it's necessary to have to cancel because the use of the Original BreakAway has not worked properly since 2 weeks." I think support might be able to help you there as well, as there might be another way to get what you want.

Kind regards,

Greg.

Edited by sj3fk3
    • Like 4

Hi Greg,

I don't tell the supporters as hobbyists, but the firmware team and this is not an afront to this guys but the really truth. It couldn't be, that every firmware get a half step forward and several steps back. Not for a machine with this price. Every China hobby machine works proper than the actual S5 I think.

And if I read in every firmware thread where a lot of problems where put in that the "Team Ultimaker" says that there will make a big effort for each new firmware for testing: Sorry, this is ridiculous. In every new firmware 1000 things doesn't work which worked before.

For the actual support: The only thing is: I have contacted the support for the same problem since about 2 weeks with the same thread title and to the same employe. I explain very detailed, what the problem is. But in every mail I must repeat the whole thing and what I've already tested. - Every time the same thing -. Then I ask me for what you have a support system. In the old threads of this case should all been available for reading again.

For conclusion and specially for Greg: If you don't get a machine for running properly that you call "professional", then don't cry when someone tells you that the quality is lousy.

Stand up and say we're sorry and yes, the quality of the firmware is not good at the moment, but we're working on it: that would be real greatness.

Roli

Edited by Roli4711
    • Like 1

13 hours ago, Roli4711 said:

For conclusion and specially for Greg: If you don't get a machine for running properly that you call "professional", then don't cry when someone tells you that the quality is lousy.

Stand up and say we're sorry and yes, the quality of the firmware is not good at the moment, but we're working on it: that would be real greatness.

Roli

You are entitled to your opinion, my point is: If you start calling people names, I don't think that will help you. Let's try to keep things civil. If you want professionalism, start by acting professional. We are here to help and we like to help. You can help us help by filing bug-reports via support and voice your opinion here in a civil matter.

Regards,

Greg.

• Like 1

Hi Greg

I feel like I'm in the wrong movie right now. Where did I use personal names? About yours? You wrote back to me in a public forum - signed with your name. And when I know the name, I also mention the name because I am respecably. Am I schizophrenic or have I misunderstood your statement that I shouldn't use personal names? I don't think so.

And what's unprofessional here? I have proposed a solution for you: Stand up and say: Yes, our performance is currently not optimal and we have made too many mistakes.

No, you don't do that: you just gushing about yourself and saying how good you are. If you are really that good: Why do you have to do so much intermediate steps in your firmwares, nearly every 2 weeks? Why are there so many negative comments on every single firmware version you release?

By the way: Ask @SandervG that I praised you and the Ultimaker Team for Version 5.8.0, until I noticed that unloading did not work (and then I don't make any negative comments in this forum because the other part was good).

To assume that a customer who only says what is also true that he is not professional is simply on a very deep level and does not show a good understanding of how to deal with a customer. If I were to insult you or others at the lowest level, then I would agree with you. Then there would be a lack of professionalism. But just respond to your current - and I now explicitly say current - inability to get a good and executable firmware version and to get the stamp "Unprofessional" to a customer: UNBELIEVABLE.

Then please tell me which firmware version has really been - if only somewhat - free of big errors since last October? The one with the AirManager / MaterialStation, which you released, then had to move back, but only worked "correctly" in December for the AM and even in January / February for the MS? Or the 5.7.x, which had a lot of other problems or practically all 5.8.x, in which the unloading of material did not work at first, so that you had to wait at least 2 hours and with 5.8.1, where the abortion of a print is no longer correct working? And the last two points are not "hidden" functionalities. This are functionalities everyone needs a lot of time and should be tested before release the version.

And another story to underline my disastrous time with Ultimaker: I bought my new(?? I'm not sure at all) printer in August 2019 (at that time still without AM and MS). After two weeks the left rear motor hung down because the screws on the left rear side were not properly tightened. And that with this expensive device. Don't you think that this story alone got you off to a bad start?

Greg: that is definitely the lowest level, that is unprofessional to call me unprofessional, because you live from us customers. We pay you and we pay a hell of a lot for your machines. And if the thing really works, I would even advertise you. At the moment nothing works at all.

I accept that you don't have to listen to everything. But for big errors that Ultimaker has caused, and in large numbers in practically all the last versions, you should stand up straight and not mock or even attack customers.

And yet I don't blame you entirely. At a company like Ultimaker, customer service should intervene at the latest with the last post and not someone who is a developer/supporter in the firmware department should answer, who is related to this actual software status.

So: be a professional and if you only have a piece of backbone, you can apologize for your comments to me.

Roland Schärli (my full name, as I can stand behind my statement)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Roli4711 said:

Hi Greg

I feel like I'm in the wrong movie right now. Where did I use personal names? About yours? You wrote back to me in a public forum - signed with your name. And when I know the name, I also mention the name because I am respecably.

Dear Roland, it's an english expression "to call somebody names". It's means "when you say unpleasant things or insult people". It has nothing to do with your (or my) real name. And I was not trying to insult you, I was just saying that I think we all should remain professional and respectful to each other in this forum. If you wish for professionalism, lead by example by keeping it professional. Like I said before, I don't think calling developers "hobbyists" helps in any way. There are plenty of them here on the forum to help customers with issues. I think it's rather demotivating if you "call them names". We all work hard to improve the product, of course sometimes we introduce a new bug, or a unhappy flow. And believe me, we really don't like it when that happens. 

But I do think in general we are improving the product, that is also the feedback that we are getting (and this forum is not the only channel). We aim to update our firmware every 6 weeks, that's the "heartbeat" that we try to maintain. In a couple of months we want to switch too having 2 distinct tracks, one with a heartbeat of (around) 6 weeks and the other with only 2 or 3 updates per year. Customers can than choose, if the want the newest features, or remain on the current more stable/conservative firmware.

I will say it again: You are entitled to your opinion and you may even be harsh and say that we are not doing good enough. I will take that feedback and work harder to improve the process and the product. All I ask is to please remain civil.

Regards,

Greg. 

• Like 1

You see, Greg. It's even harder for me to communicate with you and perhaps, from time to time my words are harder than I wanted. But we can also do it in German.

But also understand that I'm really not satisfied. With version 5.8.0 there was the possibility that the filaments are no longer pulled back that far. That was very good. At the same time, however, a basic function no longer worked. Namely the unloading of filaments. So how I should change the print core or replace a filament if I've wanted to insert a different color? Waiting for 2h every time?

Why was this not found in the tests.

Then came version 5.8.1. This version couldn't improve everything either, but it worked to a certain extent and was almost the best version so far.

Version 5.8.2 is now official. But now you couldn't cancel the print properly. The cancelation stopped and the whole machine had to be switched off. One time (of 3 times), I was even reset the printer that nothing worked and I had to remove the filament manually (open at the back via the lower hose of the feeder).

This is also a very important function that has not been tested either, although it is used very often.

Please don't say you really are doing a good job. Not if you look at all firmware versions in the last year (since October 2019). If you are being more than honest then you should also realize that it really wasn't a good job. Sorry if I'm so honest and throw your world in ruins.

I also believe that you want the best. But it's definitely not the best right now. Be so honest and accept it and stand for it.

Roli

• Like 1

Downloaded 5.8.2 and all appears ok.  One question though-on aborting a print, the machine did a hot pull and then went through the cold pull as part of the abort/finish routine.  This leaves the filament too far back in the Bowden tube with a long “tail” from the hot pull making me concerned about fully unloading the filament. I have had this occur twice. In one instance, I opted to retry the print but the core had lost its prime due to the extra retraction.   Is this a new bug or have i just not noticed it before?  Thanks

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 12:51 AM, Roli4711 said:

But also understand that I'm really not satisfied. With version 5.8.0 there was the possibility that the filaments are no longer pulled back that far. That was very good. At the same time, however, a basic function no longer worked. Namely the unloading of filaments. So how I should change the print core or replace a filament if I've wanted to insert a different color? Waiting for 2h every time?

Why was this not found in the tests.

Then came version 5.8.1. This version couldn't improve everything either, but it worked to a certain extent and was almost the best version so far.

Version 5.8.2 is now official. But now you couldn't cancel the print properly. The cancelation stopped and the whole machine had to be switched off. One time (of 3 times), I was even reset the printer that nothing worked and I had to remove the filament manually (open at the back via the lower hose of the feeder).

We have explained this before in the forum. We knew that 5.8.0 did not have the unload functionality. We wanted to get 5.8.0 out as soon as possible, because MANY users had really big problems with printing PVA and the "park filament" functionality would greatly help those users. We also though that not being able to unload was not that much of a problem because if you just start a print with an other (Ultimaker) filament, the "wrong" material would then unload. I agree we should have been more clear on this when we released the Firmware, that was a mistake. Releasing 5.8.0 was not a mistake, because we did help a lot of customers who wanted to print with PVA. I think we did also misjudged the amount of pro-bundle users that do not print with ultimaker filament. We started working on the unload functionality even before 5.8.0 was released, and we shipped 5.8.1 (with the unload function) within a couple of weeks of 5.8.0.

The only thing new between 5.8.1 and 5.8.2 is the much improved NFC reading (you will only notice this if you use Ultimaker filament) and we introduced a Wizard for ER52/54 and ER56 loading errors during a print. So I have no idea why canceling a print would work fine in 5.8.1 and not in 5.8.2. But we would like to look into it. That is why we have asked you to contact support about your issue as it is not something that we see happening when we cancel prints.

Regards,

Greg.

@Bundle Thank you for your feedback.

You explained to me that the situation you reported was for Ultimaker PLA, aborted while printing, based on the usual park position it was clearly higher up in the Bowden tube and the delay in extrusion for the following print was excessive (missed the skirt and started extruding already in the part section).

It is indeed not expected that PLA creates a long tip after a print is aborted. It is one of the materials that creates the better deprime tips actually. Such delayed extrusion is not expected under normal circumstances. Sounds like the behaviour you are seeing is indeed a bug.

I'm glad to hear that it has worked well for you aside from these 2 exceptions. Internally we have not observed the described behaviour even though this specific flow is always included in our test plans. If you see this problem occur could you please create a support request and add the log files / pictures in it?
    Here is our official support platform:

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000516360

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sj3fk3 said:

But we would like to look into it. That is why we have asked you to contact support about your issue as it is not something that we see happening when we cancel prints.

Hi Greg

I have a problem with PC2 (I'm in contact with Szahari. He is really trying very hard to find the fault with me.) Since I have this problem, I did not install version 5.8.2 (or I uninstalled it again and am back to 5.8.1), because the problem often means that I have to cancel printing. And if the cancelation doesn't work with 5.8.2 (with my printer), I couldn't use it.

Roland

Hello,

two issues I had today with the new Firmware: (dont know if they are specific to 5.8.2, but I nerver had these problems before)

I printed a bigger print over night. With two spools of PLA inside the Material Staion.

After the first Spool was empty the printer pulled the spool back (but not complete, just to the Filamaent sensor at the back), then the printer tried to load the next spool. After this obvously cant work the print failed and shows ER 62 .....

IMG_20201027_060227.thumb.jpg.b59c32422a98997b6aa145531a622af7.jpg

The other thing:
    Klicked at Print core change, click abort, not working. I had to restart the printer after minutes of waiting.

IMG_20201027_060921.thumb.jpg.c473e85538c40bbea686f8d8e0d1b5fc.jpg

Jonas

Edited by Jonas98

18 minutes ago, Jonas98 said:

The other thing:
    Klicked at Print core change, click abort, not working. I had to restart the printer after minutes of waiting.

IMG_20201027_060921.thumb.jpg.c473e85538c40bbea686f8d8e0d1b5fc.jpg

Hi Greg

Do you see: I'm not the only which has problem to cancel prints. I'm so "happy"!! Perhaps you should test this by yourself. It's very easy. Cancel a print and this would be the result. Perhaps you must set the printer to "German". I don't know. 

I hope that you finally believe me now.

Roland

23 minutes ago, Jonas98 said:

I printed a bigger print over night. With two spools of PLA inside the Material Staion.

After the first Spool was empty the printer pulled the spool back (but not complete, just to the Filamaent sensor at the back), then the printer tryed to load the next spool. After this obvously cant work the print failed and shows ER 62 .....

IMG_20201027_060227.thumb.jpg.b59c32422a98997b6aa145531a622af7.jpg

This problem I had also one time in version 5.8.1. It's a great great moment if you have a MaterialStation and the main thing doesn't work: Changing of material if it's empty. But I was thinking that this was a problem because my other problem. It doesn't seem like that.

At the moment I have 3 Problems. Very well quality of the firmware.

Roland

45 minutes ago, Roli4711 said:

It's a great great moment if you have a MaterialStation and the main thing doesn't work: Changing of material if it's empty.

Unfortunately true. Especially because it always worked for me before....