Ultimaker Cura 5.0 beta

fvrmr

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 5.0 beta

Hi everybody,

Today we release the Ultimaker Cura 5.0 beta. After multiple special beta releases to test the Arachne Engine, the new slicing Engine is finally here. This new engine uses variable line widths when preparing files for printing, meaning you can now print thin and intricate parts more accurately and with greater strength.

image.thumb.png.9f2163db8797655e2bf5cf134b205ace.png

In the past, sliced files would use a consistent line width, with the exact width depending on the nozzle diameter and the line width settings used. This meant that when slicing a file, if part of the print was two-and-a-half lines thick, Ultimaker Cura would generate two lines and leave a small gap between them. In certain cases (such as with extremely small details) areas of less than one line thick would not be able to print at allThis issue has been completely solved with the latest release. Your printed parts will now have fewer internal gaps which means they’ll not only look better, but they’ll be stronger as well. The following improvements have also been included:

• Renewed the Ultimaker Cura Marketplace
    We have streamlined the workflow for accessing the Ultimaker Marketplace inside of Ultimaker Cura. The UI has been improved and it’s now easier and faster to find and install plugins and material profiles.
    image.thumb.png.2c8cf708b1bb1e3807e458dbbaed5388.png

• Support for Apple M1 chips
    We have fixed a number of visual bugs meaning that users of Apple M1 chips can now enjoy improved compatibility.  
  • Improved print profiles for Ultimaker printers
  • New Cura Icon and splash screen

Bug fixes:

• Fixed a bug where Monotonic Ironing breaks Ironing, contributed by BagelOrb 
  • Fixed a bug where modifier meshes didn't work in one-at-a-time mode
  • Fixed double scroll bar, contributed by fieldOfView

For all improvements, bug fixes and known issues, check the release notes

Or rewatch our launch event to learn more about Ultimaker Cura 5.0 beta:

Download the beta now 

Let us know what you think of this new engine and show us your results here in the comments below, you can report your bugs on GitHub!

• Like 4

I have trouble understanding the logic of this new version. No more compatible plugin and 20% of the existing profiles no more compatible . Do you think that the migration will go well ?

I'm still very curious about user feedback.

• Like 1

A lot has changed in the version. One major change is that the GUI framework Qt was updated from version 5 to version 6, to support newer operating systems (and fix multiple bugs with the previous version of Qt, which was no longer updated). Unfortunately this means that most of the UI of Cura and its plugins has to be made compatible with this newer version of Qt. Because of that all plugins need to be updated and resubmitted to the Marketplace.

Existing profiles should be upgrade by Cura automatically (if they were installed in the correct location).

• Thanks 1

Yes but upgrading the plugin is not just changing from PyQt5 into from PyQt6. As I say I'm really curious of the existing user point of view. Personnaly I don't think I will do the effort to update my existing code.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 5.0 beta
    10 minutes ago, Cuq said:

I don't think I will do the effort to update my existing code.

Unfortunately that means users of Cura 5 will not get to use your plugins. Believe me, I know how much work it is to keep plugins up to date and compatible with different versions of Cura; I have been doing that for years. It is a necessary evil; plugins that expect certain code to be available that had to be changed/updated in Cura can crash Cura, and that is not desirable for Ultimaker.

I agree that this could be handled better than the current message which suggests removing the plugin entirely; an option to install an update from the Marketplace (if available) would be nice. Another improvement would be a single message about all plugins instead of one message per plugin.

Edited by ahoeben
    • Like 1

Clearly , I don't have your skill in plugin devellopement , and as non professional  I love the possibility to improve my code, but in this case I have absolutly no fun to update the existing working code. And as the change will necessary oblige to use the last release and cannot insure backward compability for user which made the choise to stay in with a 4.0 release it's not interesting  to do this job. 

I'm also thinking about the possibility to close my Github repositories, in order to not be annoyed by the user requests that are inevitably arrive for the update to version 5.0

Edited by Cuq

Over time code for stuff will always have change, not just to add new stuff but to add support for new OS (That users will be moving to) or to patch out security flaw's/bugs.

When making plugin or addon's for any type of program or code you should always keep in mind that every time the main program/code gets updated you would need to check and likely edit stuff to keep up todate, this can also help you get better at coding because sometimes in updating your own code you can make it less likely that edits in the main code can break it.

• Like 2

Other than the plugins (of which I use both of yours and I will especially miss the Sidebar GUI while it awaits it's update) the migration went smoothly.

Until I noticed that the grips were gone from the model for all tools.  Rotating a model is not going well.

It's possible that the grips are there but invisible.  With the mirror tool active I clicked around the model a bit and it did mirror.

cura.log

Edited by GregValiant

5.0 looks like a great update.

Unfortunately it does crash upon start with macOS Mojave 10.14.6.

The older beta-2 did run on this OS.

Error message from terminal:

"ImportError: dlopen(/Applications/Ultimaker-Cura.app/Contents/MacOS/lib-dynload/_ctypes.cpython-310-darwin.so, 2): Symbol not found: _ffi_closure_alloc

Referenced from: /Applications/Ultimaker-Cura.app/Contents/MacOS/lib-dynload/_ctypes.cpython-310-darwin.so (which was built for Mac OS X 10.15)"

Is there suddenly a need for 10.15?

Kind regards

Installed Cura 5 to.

I was very supriced that non of my plugins workt.

Specily the octoprint plugin.

And starting the 4 version didnt help.

Because all the plugins were gone.

I have to wait i think till there are updates for all the plugins.

Tomorrow i will test the new cura.

Excited for release, download and installed on a Win 10 system. Attempting to submit a bug, filled in form but "SUBMIT" button doesn't submit. Verified all * fields have been filled. 

What am I missing?

Issue is with model rotation. Selecting model then rotate ICON doe snot bring up normal 3-axis field icon. Tried 4.13 immediately afterwards, same file, no problem

Attempt to rotate 5.0 scaled 50.PNG

Attemp to rotate 5.0.PNG

Rotate with 4.13.PNG

CCR6SE_Stake-5px-Heavy .3mf

• Like 1

What did I miss

Can't get it to run after install. Not sure what's going on. I've uninstalled and reinstalled a couple times and still doesn't work. Also, I prefer the old icon. Looks more modern. The new one looks like it went to windows 95.

Edited by 3dprntz

Is this normal for the Beta?

image.thumb.png.3a5072fa9545062df778f8d449f79c81.png

Going back a couple of posts to the conversation between @ahoeben and @Cuq it appears so.

"Octoprint" is one of A. Hoeben's plugins.  I know 5.0.0 is a Beta release but man am I glad I don't have to answer the phone regarding that one missing.  Things like that may limit the number of Beta testers as well.

Edited by GregValiant

Don't be afraid @ahoeben will certainly update his major plugins soon. The discussion was concerning my own situation, not the excellent and uniq contribution of @ahoeben to Cura

3 hours ago, garryb said:

Is this normal for the Beta?

For a Beta no, but for this new version of Cura yes, due to the switch to QT6 and some modifications in the Cura interface,  every plugin must be updated and submited to Ultimaker to be added in the marketplace. It will takes times before you will get back the full list of available plugins.

Been working with 5.0 today and have found that the beta has some stability issues. Have had it hard crash twice now from what appears to be a memory leak that ends up having the 5.0 beta create a 20+ instance wall of crash report logs. Certainly makes things more interesting for the time being.

Here's to things getting cleaned up and those reports being functional enough to help.

1 hour ago, Welpitsonfirenow said:

Been working with 5.0 today and have found that the beta has some stability issues. Have had it hard crash twice now from what appears to be a memory leak that ends up having the 5.0 beta create a 20+ instance wall of crash report logs. Certainly makes things more interesting for the time being.

Here's to things getting cleaned up and those reports being functional enough to help.

Keep reporting things on github and we will fix them ASAP 🙂

independent support layer height seems broken currently, or at least it shouldnt round 0.5 down to 0.16.
    Same goes for setting the support wall line count to 0
    in general alot of the support settings seems to be broken

12 minutes ago, fast said:

independent support layer height seems broken currently, or at least it shouldnt round 0.5 down to 0.16.
    Same goes for setting the support wall line count to 0
    in general alot of the support settings seems to be broken

What is independent support layer?

Anyhow, could you report the issues on github and provide a project file that reproduce the issue?

I have made available an initial set of prerelease versions of some of my plugins here:

Once these have undergone some more testing, I will push them to the Marketplace so they can be reviewed and be included in the new Marketplace for Cura 5.0.

• Like 3

@ahoeben you continue to amaze.  Thank you sir.

The sidebar GUI is up and running.  Unfortunately, until I get the grips back on the models I'm kind of dead in the water with 5.0.

(Now if I could just talk you into coming over here and reprogramming this damn garage door keypad.)

1 hour ago, GregValiant said:

Unfortunately, until I get the grips back on the models I'm kind of dead in the water with 5.0.

Fixed that for you here: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Uranium/pull/811

• Like 3
    • Thanks 1

This might be kind of a niche thing, if you'd like to keep it out of this thread let me know! QML is not my strong suit but I'm doing my best as I port my plugin into Cura 5. All of the text in my dialogs are defaulting to white, any idea where this is coming from?

It seems like I shouldn't have to manually set them all to black since I don't see that in any other qml out there!