Ultimaker Cura 5.0 beta

fvrmr

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 5.0 beta

This is because the artillery printer definition has the flow set to 41% (50% for your first layer). I don't know why they would do that.

18 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

This is because the artillery printer definition has the flow set to 41% (50% for your first layer). I don't know why they would do that.

I am printing LW-PLA and recommended flow by Colorfabb is 40 to 50% (https://colorfabb.com/how-to-print-with-lw-pla)
    It does work fine with Sidewinder X2 and Cura 4.13.1 
    In my case and with the 3mf file flow is at 45% i don't know where you found 41% ...??? see the screenshot

IMG_1954.jpg

Capture d’écran 2022-05-02 à 13.06.16.png

1 hour ago, DrLucasThompson said:

I don't suppose the cura-build process has been super-simplified in the last 6 months? 😉

That's the next major thing on the roadmap.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 5.0 beta
    36 minutes ago, milcent said:

I am printing LW-PLA and recommended flow by Colorfabb is 40 to 50%

Then the result you get is exactly what you need; the extruded material will expand by "foaming" a bit, thus filling up the gap between the extruded walls. Also see how your brim looks (in both versions).

36 minutes ago, milcent said:

i don't know where you found 41%

typo

Another thing I got incorrectly is that I thought the 45% flow was set in the Artillery definition, whereas it is set in the profile for LW-PLA. My bad.

Edited by ahoeben

3 hours ago, nallath said:

That's the next major thing on the roadmap.

FWIW The current cura-build project (the conan/Cmake-centric one) is actually a LOT nicer than the build setups for most of the other similarly sized/scoped projects on github.  ( I'm looking at you, Audacity! 🙂 )

It would be nice just to watch a screen capture session of one of you guys or gals setting it up from scratch on a vanilla system -- ideally with commentary, in particular when there are a zillion ways to get a path to some dev library, why they chose to do it a certain way and not another.

Edited by DrLucasThompson
    spelling
    • Like 1

We're going towards a more conan centered approach. Originally we wanted to wait after 5.0 to start on it, but we ran into so many issues that we could fix with Conan that it made no sense to wait.

But we are in an in between state right now, so we need to clean that up before moving on.

Anyhow; Great idea to do a video tutorial! I will keep that in mind 🙂

• Like 2

@milcent  This looked like an opportunity to play around with the new wall settings.

What it looks like to me (as @ahoeben mentioned) it's about the flow.  After slicing the project with your settings I moved all the flows up to 100% to make a comparison.  For the lower layers there is no room for the middle wall line.  Higher up when the slicing creates wider spaces between the inside surface of the model and the outside surface of the model, then Infill is introduced but still no middle wall.

I cleared the build plate and started over.  After fooling around some more I found that the "Add Middle Line Threshold" at 20% allowed Cura to add the center wall above the step that occurs in the model at layer 4.  Lowering the setting further to 5% made the wall appear from the build plate up.

Then I started thinking about that material.

Since the filament is going to expand - do you really want the middle line?  Going back to the preview with the flows at 100% there isn't room for the middle line.  Maybe adding it will cause a problem similar in appearance to over-extrusion as you may be introducing more material than is necessary (although that flow of that middle line would be miniscule).

Maybe a way to look at it is "Yeah, flow is at 45% but the 100% preview is what I'm really going to end up with because of the expansion." and looking at it that way the Preview you got with your settings in 5.0 may be what you want.

Test prints would seem to be in order.

I'm not a betting man but if I was I'd bet that stuff ain't cheap.

I've hit an issue with 5.0 but firstly, I just wanted to say the prints I've produced from Cura 5.0 so far have been amazing! No matter what I've done or tweaked in the past, I've never managed to achieve prints that look so clean and detailed with only slight personal tweaks to the default profiles (flow 90%, nozzle temp up to 210 because I've found that works better with eSun PLA+, minimum infill area set to 70mm because I've had problems with strength printing posts in the past on my Ender 3 V2). I also found adding a layer or two of top skin helped. 

Now I've hit an issue though. I decided to progress from smaller test prints to an actual print of a building piece from Iain Lovecraft's Treasure Island set, but about a day into the printing it just stopped with the nozzle still against the print. I tried again and, paying more attention this time, I could see the %age completion actually ticking down to that point. 

My usual workflow would be to print to Octoprint (Pi 4) direct from Cura, but with no current integration I am saving to disk and loading the Gcode to Octoprint through it's interface. I've loaded the gcode back into Cura 5.0 to check (as much as I can without delving into the gcode itself) that there's no truncation in the file and it seems to be complete. Because I wanted to compare before and after prints, I chose a piece that I had printed previously in Cura 4.x so I am fairly sure it isn't an STL issue. 

I appreciate that 5.0 is still in Beta and stuff is going to happen, but I thought I would flag this to see if it is an unknown thing because I absolutely cannot wait to switch to 5.0 and print solely from there!

CE3_Look_Base.gcode

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shimmery said:

My usual workflow would be to print to Octoprint (Pi 4) direct from Cura, but with no current integration I am saving to disk and loading the Gcode to Octoprint through it's interface

A prerelease of the OctoPrint Connection plugin can be found here:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GregValiant said:

@milcent  This looked like an opportunity to play around with the new wall settings.

What it looks like to me (as @ahoeben mentioned) it's about the flow.  After slicing the project with your settings I moved all the flows up to 100% to make a comparison.  For the lower layers there is no room for the middle wall line.  Higher up when the slicing creates wider spaces between the inside surface of the model and the outside surface of the model, then Infill is introduced but still no middle wall.

I cleared the build plate and started over.  After fooling around some more I found that the "Add Middle Line Threshold" at 20% allowed Cura to add the center wall above the step that occurs in the model at layer 4.  Lowering the setting further to 5% made the wall appear from the build plate up.

Then I started thinking about that material.

Since the filament is going to expand - do you really want the middle line?  Going back to the preview with the flows at 100% there isn't room for the middle line.  Maybe adding it will cause a problem similar in appearance to over-extrusion as you may be introducing more material than is necessary (although that flow of that middle line would be miniscule).

Maybe a way to look at it is "Yeah, flow is at 45% but the 100% preview is what I'm really going to end up with because of the expansion." and looking at it that way the Preview you got with your settings in 5.0 may be what you want.

Test prints would seem to be in order.

I'm not a betting man but if I was I'd bet that stuff ain't cheap.

"Since the filament is going to expand - do you really want the middle line?" : Yes since the design of the part relies on this characteristic; So i need to fill the gap here for this part. Ortherwise i have an inside wall and an outside wall and no connection between them and the top is a mess, look at the picture. This is an RC plane cone which needs some resistance.
    Cura 4.x handles this with no problem. The way Cura 5 changes its algorythm for this is strange ...

Concerning the flow it mus be set lower then 60% at max, otherwise the filament will not give the expected result. 

IMG_1955.jpg

The winding of the extrusion around the center is pretty typical for unsupported "roofs".  The formula for the max unsupported angle is:

90°-ArcTangent(LayerHeight/LineWidth) = Max Angle with No Support.  At any angle greater than that the width between layer steps is greater than your line width and so lines of extrusions of one layer cannot connect/bond to the layer below.  Since they aren't bonded to the previous layer the extrusion can't stay where it belongs and instead it gets pulled by the nozzle in a straight line.  That pulls the the extrusion towards the center and you get what you got.  There is a slight change that the wall ordering of "Inside to Outside" might help that, but really - unsupported really doesn't work.

Here is a project file.  It's just some changes I put together in an effort to get the middle wall to show up, and to support the roof.  No guarantees it's what you want of course, but I'm trying.

EDIT:  This just occurred to me.  If you were to slice the model at 100% flow then the toolpaths are more in line with what you want.  After generating the Gcode you could insert an M221 S50 line at the start of "Layer:0", an M221 S45 line at the start of "Layer:1" and an M221 S100 at the end of the print (to re-set the flow rate for the next print).  That might work nicely.

GV_Nose_Cone_Curav5.3mf

Edited by GregValiant

Hangs on initializing package manager.

It will run only once on a fresh install.

13 minutes ago, like2bbq said:

Hangs on initializing package manager.

It will run only once on a fresh install.

As with all issues reported so far; Please provide log files.

Yep, understanding this is a "Beta" and there will be some issues, I wasn't expecting "Unusable".

I run dual monitors, program splash screen loads on second monitor, program opens off screen on primary monitor. 

Other issues cascaded from this bug report.
    1. Accessing the "Help: About" menu to access version information freezes the program requiring "end task" to close. The "About" popup in hidden and never visible
    2. Additionally, when in the frozen state, the GPU is at 10% (Very high compared to Cura 4.x.x at .05%), CPU Usage at >10% Cura 5.0 is a resource hog

The only instance I know of that would be using the GPU when idle is crypto mining. I'm  not saying that's what 's happening, but this is being removed from my system.

This is more of an Alpha release, but given the way things are in today's world, it seems that SW designers shove incomplete products out and let users do the debugging.

Great software team!  I love Cura!

I saw on the first page that "jwblazek" asked about the rotation hoops being missing in the Beta, is this correct?  Are they to be returned?  Am I missing some setting?  I've spent a couple of hours trying to figure out the trick or setting location.

Will this be returned or explained?

Thanks for a great product!

4 hours ago, osloc6 said:

I saw on the first page that "jwblazek" asked about the rotation hoops being missing

If you read further in the post, you will find that this is a bug and it has been fixed for the final release of Cura 5.0.

Edited by ahoeben

4 hours ago, osloc6 said:

I saw on the first page that "jwblazek" asked about the rotation hoops being missing in the Beta, is this correct?  Are they to be returned?  Am I missing some setting?  I've spent a couple of hours trying to figure out the trick or setting location.

That was a bug, which has been fixed already for the final release 🙂

15 hours ago, Kvanwem said:

This is more of an Alpha release, but given the way things are in today's world, it seems that SW designers shove incomplete products out and let users do the debugging.

From wikipedia: " A beta phase generally begins when the software is feature complete but likely to contain a number of known or unknown bugs.[9] Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software and speed or performance issues, and may still cause crashes or data loss."

The 5.0 beta is feature complete, but as you have found contains some issues that we have not encountered during our tests. Software systems have become so complex that it running on all of our systems is no indication that it runs on the others. That is also why we kindly ask people to test it.

• Like 3

Hello, I have the problem like in the images when i start cura 5.0, could someone help me ?

cura error.jpg

cura error 2.jpg

25 minutes ago, mariotitanic said:

Hello, I have the problem like in the images when i start cura 5.0, could someone help me ?

cura error.jpg

cura error 2.jpg

Cura 5.0 doesn't work on windows 7

using cura 5.0 beta on ender 6, best prints i ever had.

so far really loving it,great work!

• Like 1

I've been having some issues using Cura 5.0 beta with my Ender  6 running Klipper firmware. At the seam there are blobs which appear to be caused by retraction problems. Tuning retraction settings and disabling pressure advance in the firmware has not fixed the issue. These seams do not appear when printing the part with cura 4.12.1.

image_67172097.JPG

image_67179265.JPG

BUG: Exporting profiles does not export a file

Also: Please do not hide all the buttons in a dropdown menu

• Like 2

Thank you Gentlefolk for answering my question about the Rotational hoops.  I did look through the post before I asked, I guess I must have missed it.  I love you products and will eagerly await the final release, and thank you again for devoting you time to answering our sometimes stupid questions.  I am not one of those trying to bash you, or be ungrateful.  

Thank again!

On 4/21/2022 at 1:38 PM, ahoeben said:

A lot has changed in the version. One major change is that the GUI framework Qt was updated from version 5 to version 6, to support newer operating systems (and fix multiple bugs with the previous version of Qt, which was no longer updated). Unfortunately this means that most of the UI of Cura and its plugins has to be made compatible with this newer version of Qt. Because of that all plugins need to be updated and resubmitted to the Marketplace.

Existing profiles should be upgrade by Cura automatically (if they were installed in the correct location).

Thank you! Very good to know about losing the plugins until they get updated in the marketplace. Im just getting used to the anti warping tabs you can add to the parts to help with warping. Very nice feature. I will add i have not tried the glue-stick option and i still think the warping is dependent upon slice settings mixed with filament quality. Thanks again for sharing!