Post your latest print!

IRobertI

Posted · Post your latest print!

I love your characters and style of your work!

Yeah, small parts are tricky, partly why I'm printing this one so big... the difference between the first arm I tested at small scale, and the arm I printed at this scale looked like they came off different printers. Also, the larger you go, you can drop the layer height and still get great detail. Parts above are 0.06

I think the UM2 and FDM in general are better suited to larger models, so great for large scale maquettes, film props etc, but small stuff, parts that are only 10mm tall etc... I honestly think a resin based printer is the way to go.

You're welcome, pal, it's great because you have amazing sculpts wonderfully printed.

Means a lot in terms of inspiration/motivation.

Thanks for the hint!

As soon as I'll be back from a small tour in Switzerland, I'll try my brand new (delivered today) unopened Colorfabb filament with these settings.

I did a couple of tests today, on a small hand, with the usual Ultimaker blue PLA and it came out kinda like "no.hope.".

I also tried to put the overhang supports from 45° instead of the default 60° but it didn't change that much.

Aside from the top of the body being chopped off and printing a separate part, the body printed really well.

I've had a number of 24 hour + prints going lately, and the UM2 has been printing very well, no under extrusion etc.

Maybe next print you can print an iPhone cover for protection ;)

@ Robert, frog looks great. I see what you mean about the overhangs :???:

@Braddock. That beast really looks top notch! I cant wait to get my laptop running ( or buy another one ) so I can start to work on some quality 24 hour print jobs like yours. So far everything I have printed has been pretty low settings.

@Sander. You beat me to it :)

really inspiring work everyone. Great stuff.

@ braddok: That creature is looking awesome. I don't know how you get such clean looking prints.

Here's my second print. Its a character I did a few months back. I'm really pleased with this guy but I still think I can do better. There seems to be a lot of streaking going on in places. I've been using the blue filament that came with the printer and I'm wondering if it would make a difference if I used something else. I've seen a lot of people like using colorfabb. Is there much of a noticeable difference in quality between filaments? Anyone have any recommendations for filament?

Height 150mm

Layer height 0.06mm

Print speed 30mm/sec

Nozzle temp 210C

Bed temp 65C

Print time 59 hrs :shock:

14059660621_905ba29c5f_h.jpg14082908053_8792d14c38_h.jpg14039745836_88cf14244f_h.jpg14039744326_d77804cc27_h.jpg14039743166_837939dd62_h.jpg14059683892_63437a240a_h.jpg14063322404_fff73dd91f_h.jpg14059650981_6787956494_h.jpg14059679502_542da503ed_h.jpg14059647661_5cb557fd07_h.jpg

Looks good! I'm not really a fan of the UM blue PLA, I've had issues with it in the past. I've been getting good results with Colorfabb.

AS for the streaking, which version of Cura did you slice this with?

There will always be a degree of print lines, and a degree of sanding / post processing but your lines look a bit more prominent to me than they should be.

Are they your own supports? Inverted trumpets work well!

Thanks man. I sliced it in Cura 14.01. I'm wondering if some of the noise is due to the fact that the model was highly detailed in Zbrush with lots of skin pores and such.

I generated the supports in meshmixer and then tweaked them in Zbrush.

I think I'm going to get some colorfabb today.

Looks great Leo. I wish there was a nice easy way to brush away lines from PLA, similar to acetone rubs for ABS... although I haven't exactly tried that yet.

Try Faberdashery filament if you can, its top notch.

@Chrisp Nice upload. I have bought my dremel so will have to see if it fits! When I fix my pc ( or get a new one :( ) I will set to printing it.

One of you Zbrush Guys needs to design and print me a really cool HULK ! Man I love the hulk :p

Looks great Leo. I wish there was a nice easy way to brush away lines from PLA, similar to acetone rubs for ABS... although I haven't exactly tried that yet.

It can be done but the chemicals are pretty gnarly:

http://www.protoparadigm.com/blog/2013/06/vapor-smoothing-and-polishing-pla-with-tetrahydrofuran-thf/

Yeah Robert I read a while ago about that THF method, although I don't want to poison myself so I`ll stick to lumpy prints lol

@:Skint: Thanks man. I was actually thinking of doing a hulk soon. I'm concidering casting my prints in chavant or monster clay, refinining them and then recasting them in resin. I know it sounds like alot of effort but I'm a stickler for detail.

@:Skint: Thanks man. I was actually thinking of doing a hulk soon. I'm concidering casting my prints in chavant or monster clay, refinining them and then recasting them in resin. I know it sounds like alot of effort but I'm a stickler for detail.

This apparently does PLA also

http://3dprintingindustry.com/2014/04/29/3d-printer-magic-box-sky-tech/

I just had a thought, I haven't actually connected my printer to my pc yet so there may be a firmware update that I need. maybe this might help with the noisy prints?

Can you post a render or ZBrush screen grab of your model?

I have a fair amount of wrinkle detail in my beast, but not to the extent of pores. You may need to amplify some detail in order for it to print cleanly at 0.06

I just had a thought, I haven't actually connected my printer to my pc yet so there may be a firmware update that I need. maybe this might help with the noisy prints?

Can you post a render or ZBrush screen grab of your model?

I have a fair amount of wrinkle detail in my beast, but not to the extent of pores. You may need to amplify some detail in order for it to print cleanly at 0.06

I think your definitely right about enhancing detail.

13883079428_aeaaa1cb93_b.jpg11911509194_10399517ba_h.jpg11911506334_4b319ac528_o.jpg

Awww, he's so cute! :D

haha... my fiances old phone, we don't use it.

Maybe next print you can print an iPhone cover for protection ;)

Thank you so much!

I totally agree about your considerations, prior to the UM2 I was checking for a SLA printer, since the resolution is way higher but I just found 2 models B9C and F1, not that easy to get in Italy.

BTW, except for some issues, I'm very happy about the UM2.

I love your characters and style of your work!

Yeah, small parts are tricky, partly why I'm printing this one so big... the difference between the first arm I tested at small scale, and the arm I printed at this scale looked like they came off different printers. Also, the larger you go, you can drop the layer height and still get great detail. Parts above are 0.06

I think the UM2 and FDM in general are better suited to larger models, so great for large scale maquettes, film props etc, but small stuff, parts that are only 10mm tall etc... I honestly think a resin based printer is the way to go.

Very nice! I like him... I think definitely try some colorfabb, I'm using the blue-grey at the moment and liking it.

Your print is pretty good already, there seems to be slight fluctuation in flow, some lines thicker than others

I think your definitely right about enhancing detail.

You could also try to reduce the acceleration a little bit for the Ultimaker 2.

But it also looks like you might be over-extruding just a little bit.

- Does it also feel a bit rough?

For 30mm/s I think you could lower the temp a little bit more.

But in all fairness, the print doesn't look bad at all, in fact it looks pretty good! (but that can also be the professional model stealing the show! ;) )

Wicked model Leo! You should try finding a filament colour close to your skin render colour.. would look ace! When you do your hulk, print one for me :)

Do any of you Zbrushers ever do real sculpting? I have often thought about having a go with super sculpey...another thing for a rainy day that !

would be nice to get your hands on this model

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=59212

I'm have been sculpting for while, just a hobby so no pro level results so far.

Been working in Sculpey, Apoxie Sculpt and Chavant.

Also if more than one is needed or sculpting is done in Chavant one has make moulds and do casting as well.

That was ok when i lived in a house with garage and such but now that I live in flat i dont have the space so switched to zBrush and 3D because of that.