Post your latest print!

IRobertI

Posted · Post your latest print!

Looking at the kits you show above I have the sense there's a lot of work involved in getting them to that stage. Like grinding a telescope mirror to near optical perfection.

• Like 1

Not really. Just a bit of patience and a bit of a Zen attitude. For instance, the actual polishing and/or sanding is something that can be done while reading articles on the interwebby or whatnot. It does not take much strength because you are not trying to grind anything, just knock off the high points.

@nzo don't get discouraged because you think a project will be a lot of work. I find that simply spray painting on some automotive primer followed by your favorite color may not be as good as kman's work but you will still likely be pretty happy with it. In other words you can put a small amount of work or a large amount of work and it will make a difference but you will still be glad you did it. So just do it. "shoot first and then..." - I mean just try it - spray paint some model with primer and then a color coat and then maybe even a clear coat.

Or if you are patient do the sanding/filling as well.

@nzo acetoning your colorfabb PLA prints and then sticking to 240 grade sandpaper is all I do, but can achieve a very smooth finish. And now I've dug up my airbrush a nice coat is much easier than before! brushing on paint can get tricky if you want it smooth, however i don't have much experience in flake paint and gloss coats. I try not to spent more than 5-30 minutes sanding btw if i need more I will generally try to print the model again or give up. As a perfectionist I have nightmares about sanding, especially filling up holes and cracks that I keep seeing the edges of after filling and sanding.

Unfortunately quality costs both time and money!

If anyone could recommend a product i could use in an airbrush as a clear coat it would be appreciated! Im always up for trying something new!

I want to echo both gr5 and cloakfiend on this.

Not everything has to be done as the examples I showed. I just wanted to show what could be done. But, many of my 3D prints have not gone that far yet. Many of them, I am capitalizing on the actual printing 'artifacts' in the work I am exploring for the most part. An example of that would be "Julia's Dragon" in which it does not matter to me about the actual surface 'print' lines since it is fractal in nature anyway.

And, cloakfiend is doing some work that I am following very closely in exactly the endeavor to minimize post processing. Most of his work just blows me away.

And, not all things have to be really worked on if using the right concept and paints. For instance, here is a print I am finishing up. While not finished, it does show how you can get by with minimal work.

Terminator_2.jpg

Terminator_1.jpg

Very little sanding and actually used no primer on it since the Krylon paints have a 'bite into the plastics' because of its chemical composition. The Chrome does take a while to dry because it does have to be piled up to get anywhere near a chrome effect.

Does it look chrome? Not really, but, close enough. I have not posted these because I want to do some washes to age it and bring out details.

Links to the paints I used:

Krylon Brushed Metallic Nickel

Krylon Original Chrome

I would not polish a stone wall that needs to be pitted and rough though and many times have to dial back the shine and such. Cars and stuff, yeah, that wet look is nice because, well, that is what a show vehicle would look like. But a tank, fighter plane or other things would not be done the same way at all.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
    Posted (edited) · Post your latest print!

Not my latest, but one of my favs....

Yay I got the copperplating solution to work! Ive given up on the 3d prints section....

20171231_162725.jpg

Edited by cloakfiend
    • Like 4

All surprising and complex prints! And here I am muttering about Ultimaker being one of the most expensive and painfully-slow 3D toy-making factories. Your prints show another side to the story. When I was into pottery, Japanese pottery master Shoji Hamada kind of became my remote teacher (although he didn't know it) :) He regarded a period of 30 years about the timespan for a potter to complete their apprenticeship. Scary stuff. So I just managed to squeeze in :).

I suspect I was spoiled by the quality I could achieve with pottery, such as this large 60cm airbrushed wall plate which took about 30 mins to make and another day or two to glaze, decorate and fire:

whaleplate-60cm.jpg

I'm humbled by the prints you guys are making.

Edited by nzo

Thank you for sharing your wall plate @nzo, I imagine it requires a completely different skill-set than what is necessary to make or finish a 3D print. Was this part of a larger set?

@kmanstudios, really cool prints too! Did you also try to copperplate your prints like cloakfiend, or did you apply some kind of grease on the Batman figurine and the likes?

@cloakfiend, Lord of Acetone (nice one!) thanks for sharing your dog print. I remember your WIP photo's. It was for a friend, was it not? I'll respond on the 3D print section feedback in the feedback thread, thanks! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SandervG said:

Thank you for sharing your wall plate @nzo, I imagine it requires a completely different skill-set than what is necessary to make or finish a 3D print. Was this part of a larger set?

That is nice. Very nice. I can appreciate it and the philosophy inherent in the culture. I can also see where this skill set can be used in 3D printing.

8 hours ago, SandervG said:

@kmanstudios, really cool prints too! Did you also try to copperplate your prints like cloakfiend, or did you apply some kind of grease on the Batman figurine and the likes?

Nope, all Duplicolor paints. I am using their anodized paint set plus their chrome and gold with their clear with ceramic in it. I work very wet on wet starting with a dry black gloss base as a surface to work over and then slowly, while wet mix paints of different colors in. There is some red, blue and green in the Batman figure. Same with the Tiger Devouring Gavial.

Edit:

The down n' out Darth Buddha that will "Will force for food' is a raw print using some Fillumentum "Vertigo Grey" and the Flash nightlight is just Duplicolor clear enamel (not the above mentioned clear).

@nzo The Duplicolor clear did not blush or haze over when using.

Edited by kmanstudios
    Additional info

On 1/2/2018 at 10:29 PM, SandervG said:

Actually not so different :). A 3D printer follows/extrudes using a model. With pottery/ceramics you ARE the extruder and modifications to the model can happen instantaneously. A potter's fingertips can discern 1/1000" (0.0254mm), just like those Japanese ball-bearing testers one sometimes reads about.

I avoided making sets as much as possible to stop myself from going repetition-crazy :)

Edited by nzo

@kmanstudios what is the one next to the batman, looks like the fly or something? just out of curiosity how big is it? I just got a bigger plating container today but ruined a nice plate on my american bulldog because i dropped it onto my tiled bathroom floor 2 seconds after cleaning it up and it just had to land on the most delicate part of the object, the ear... so annoyed! I spent a good 2 hours cleaning that one up. I really hatw sticking momdel together. Another problem i have is that if i fill the model with anything moisture related it affects the filler you put over it afterwards and it slowly bulges out. Thats why from now on my drill holes are always going to be small to try to minimise this! Ill post a few pics to explain...and a video of course!

@cloakfiend it is about 7" tall. It is a bunch of fractals stuck together. And, yeah, sucks to break a build. I feel your pain, I really do.

Edited by kmanstudios

My last project, but not 100% finish. The size is 450mm :)

BB8-1.png

BB8-2.png

BB8-3.png

Edited by pixl2
    • Like 5

Nice...what paints are you using? What printer? Do not tease us!! LOL ;p

The basic colors (white, orange and "chrome") are from "DUPLI-COLOR" spray cans. For the weathering, I took Revell and Tamiya water paints. I did not know how everything works, which colors are the "right ones", so I just tried it.

And yes, its a UM2 :)

I am falling in love with the Duplicolor line of paints. Nice weathering. Great job! :+1:

4 hours ago, pixl2 said:

The basic colors (white, orange and "chrome") are from "DUPLI-COLOR" spray cans. For the weathering, I took Revell and Tamiya water paints. I did not know how everything works, which colors are the "right ones", so I just tried it.

@pixl - that is superb grungy rust and divine grubbiness! Well done.

@kmanstudios @nzo

Thank you :sunglass::D

Edit: And the master of aceton @cloakfiend:+1:

Edited by pixl2

Thanks! 

These are my latest efforts in 2L copperplating. Two aged versions and one GIANT super-shiny one! and A before and after of the american bull as i have loads of unfinished ones laying around... Had to order a 2ltr container for the big one as the 1ltr just didn't fit most of my new prints anymore. I am happy with this new size. takes a bit longer to do though, the small dogs took about 1.5 hrs to do and big 4hrs. Still testing and experimenting. Pinhead is next but im having a few issues connecting him up.

IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0755.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

• Like 3

Sweet! That is what metal really looks like!

@cloakfiend

I know that face!

Edited by nzo

@pixl2

I guess one of the ultimate tests of grunge art is if you found it by the side of the road and walked past it.

Edited by nzo

Ok last one, im going to grung this one up though.... didnt come out perfect but good enough at least all the nails got done!

IMG_0820.JPG

• Like 1