More information during print

cube

Posted · More information during print

Is there a guide how to setup the firmware development environment ? I did notice that you need Arduino IDE 1.0X and not the newer versions, but how can you setup the simulation environment ? Is there a step by step guide ?

Regarding to the Marlin simulator you can follow the links in this post.

You need SDL 1.2 and the easiest way would be to use the project file for Code::Blocks (it's included in the folder "MarlinSimulator").

Good luck!

Posted (edited) · More information during print

Doesn't the sensor need to be placed before the feeder, because if the last piece of filament passes the feeder, there will be no movement of the filament anymore or will it move due to some "under preassure" from the nozzle ?

In the later case it should be stopped because the flow could not be controlled by the feeder anymore.

Since there are so many feeder designs, maybe we could do another one, based of one of the most wanted designs and include the sensor in it. What do you think ?

If the sensor shows no filament, then:

• The feeder should be shut down / powered off in order to save currency
    • The head should be homed and the nozzle + side cooling fans should be shut down / powered off to avoid filament coming out of the nozzle without control of it, destroying the print.
    • The firmware should save the current position to sd card / disk to recover print from there.
    • Heat bed should stay on in order to be able to continue the print.

Maybe some of these options should be customizable in order to adapt these to the printed fillament.

To recover the print the user should be asked to add new filament, then the print can continue or the user could abort the procedure.

Maybe it could be possible to add a alarm (configurable) to get noticed, when this happens....

Edited by Guest

@tinkergnome: Would it be possible to write the settings to disk (sd card) and only use it if needed ?

Sure..., but although it is not recommended... one can use the printer without sd card...

So - you would need a "fallback scenario" anyway...

I assume it is not ever a good idea to use dynamic memory allocation in a firmware, but probably it has some benefits for this purpose... (just a rough idea atm...)

@tinkergnome: maybe we could use the reprap opto endstop electronic (http://www.reprap.org/wiki/Gen7_Endstop_1.3.1+) as sensor. What would be the best / easiest way to help you with the recovery firmware and to include this or a similar sensor ? I have downloaded the firmware (github via git) and compiled the source incl. the simulator. It is working so far. By the way what ide are you using fot developing. For minor projects arduino ide is sufficent, but for the firmware I think it is a bit too unstructured. Is Code::Block with arduino extension a good choice or Eclipse C++ with Arduino ?

@tinkergnome: maybe we could use the reprap opto endstop electronic (http://www.reprap.org/wiki/Gen7_Endstop_1.3.1+) as sensor. What would be the best / easiest way to help you with the recovery firmware and to include this or a similar sensor ? I have downloaded the firmware (github via git) and compiled the source incl. the simulator. It is working so far. By the way what ide are you using fot developing. For minor projects arduino ide is sufficent, but for the firmware I think it is a bit too unstructured. Is Code::Block with arduino extension a good choice or Eclipse C++ with Arduino ?

First: i'm afraid that we relegate the UI-changes to the fringe a bit...

Although i "hijacked" this thread myself (in the past), may i suggest to open a new topic for the sensor project?

I must admit that i don't want to tinker with the electronics part in the near future, because i'm a little bit pinched for spare time atm... I'm afraid this whole topic will be (mostly) your turn.

I will try to assist with the firmware changes if needed. If i understand aright you want to extend the "Tinker firmware" to interprete the sensor readings.

It should be easy to contribute and merge these things via GitHub.

The first question that crosses my mind: is it possible to detect a connected sensor automatically or will this modification require a separate branch/fork?

I think, the (sensor triggered) response could be quite easy: pause the print, switch off the nozzle heater and allow changing of filament - basically: trigger the existing pause function.

To answer your second question:

Primarily i use Code:Blocks because i'm lazy and the project file is included in the master branch... :)

The script package.h is used to compile the *.hex files for releases. It can be started out of GitBash and (basically) uses the existing Makefile.

I'm always open minded for simpler solutions - so please keep me updated if you find one... :)

I don't think the opto endstops require any changes to the firmware. Or worst case it just reverses the endstop logic (it's a field in the Configuration.h file).

Updates... :)

The tinker firmware 15.07 for the Ultimaker2 is ready for testing!

For a short list of changes take a look at the release page on Github.

Keep in mind, that this version is only tested by myself so far - but give it a try, if you like...

Any feedback is welcome.

• Like 4

Ok here comes the stupid question. So shoot me.

I've been browsing this thread a day now, and see that people are making some nice mods to the firmware to get more screen stuff etc.

I'm pretty much new to the Arduino environment as the UM2 is the first device in my house that uses such a system.

How do you actually upload and update the firmware that is there in Github?

If i follow the links you guys post here, i find my self downloading a zip file that contains like A LOT of suff,

I'm not new to pc's and doing things, but i'd like to ask before i do anything that i will regret later.

I'm not interested to learn to modify the codes etc, just interested to test the stuff and learn from it to get a better hang of the whole thing

Ok here comes the stupid question. So shoot me.

I've been browsing this thread a day now, and see that people are making some nice mods to the firmware to get more screen stuff etc.

I'm pretty much new to the Arduino environment as the UM2 is the first device in my house that uses such a system.

How do you actually upload and update the firmware that is there in Github?

If i follow the links you guys post here, i find my self downloading a zip file that contains like A LOT of suff,

I'm not new to pc's and doing things, but i'd like to ask before i do anything that i will regret later.

I'm not interested to learn to modify the codes etc, just interested to test the stuff and learn from it to get a better hang of the whole thing

there are no stupid questions , only stupid answers :)

Download the .hex file :

UM2

Or

UM2 EXTENDED

Or

UM2 GO

Plug USB --> PC

With Cura : Machine -> Install custom firmware (.hex)

Wait and have fun !

• Like 1

Download the .hex file :

Yep. Downloading the whole github repository is not neccessary. Browse to the release section and take the compiled *.hex file from there.

Plug USB --> PC

With Cura : Machine -> Install custom firmware (.hex)

Wait and have fun !

...small addition: i think you need one of the preceding Cura versions (15.04 should work fine). To be honest: i have not tried it, but i'm afraid that "Install custom firmware" is not implemented (yet?) for the 15.06.xx versions.

• Like 1

I installed the latest version on my 3 printers (um2, go and extended) and it works perfectly well :)

I like the full display of time when selecting the gcode and the elapsed time when the print is finished :), i still didn't need the recover print option maybe i'll give it a try soon :)

Thanks again for your work!

but i'm afraid that "Install custom firmware" is not implemented (yet?) for the 15.06.xx versions.

It's not there yet. At least, not in an easy to use way.

but i'm afraid that "Install custom firmware" is not implemented (yet?) for the 15.06.xx versions.

It's not there yet. At least, not in an easy to use way.

Anyhow a low prio IMHO, we can use old cura.

Any update on a public roadmap of priorities on new cura ? No need for any release dates on it I think but just a list of functionality to-do and the chosen priority would be nice...

Any update on a public roadmap of priorities on new cura ? No need for any release dates on it I think but just a list of functionality to-do and the chosen priority would be nice...

Release date I can give you; 1 september open beta for 15.10

@tinkergnome I'm using the "dual-15.07.3" on my UM2 atm, everything looks fine. Love that I can see the info on both nozzles on one screen.

TinkerDuo.thumb.jpg.9f476b2867964d813e24b01b1caf1413.jpg

There are a few wishes, but nothing fancy, would be nice f.e. to see which nozzle you'r working on in the advanced menu, f.e. with manual heat up.

TinkerDuo.thumb.jpg.9f476b2867964d813e24b01b1caf1413.jpg

Love that I can see the info on both nozzles on one screen.

Really...? So many boring digits... :)

would be nice f.e. to see which nozzle you'r working on in the advanced menu, f.e. with manual heat up.

Just to be sure... You're talking about the "Heatup nozzle" and "Move material" functions?

Since you love those boring numbers... :) - i think it would be nice to combine it a bit (either both settings on a single screen - or easy to switch without the need to leave the current menu...)

What do you think?

let me play around with it for a few more days and I'll come back to it ...

@tinkergnome

do you ever do stupid stuff.... I do :)

I just took you dual hex and totally forgot that I have to adjust the startup and bed level locations on my dual setup ..... no problem when I use S3D, but I just used cura ... instant crash with the hanger in the corner ... no harm done... just more work on the to-do list ...

Unless you make a "change startup position" and change bed level points" section in the menu ;)

** would also be useful for people who want to experiment with mounting pens and lasers and stuff...

@tinkergnome

Just to be sure I don't miss stuff, have no idea how you adjust menu's etc... when you compiled the UM2 Dual .hex what settings did you change ?

@tinkergnome

Just to be sure I don't miss stuff, have no idea how you adjust menu's etc...  when you compiled the UM2 Dual .hex what settings did you change ?

I "borrowed" these lines from daids script.

TEMP_SENSOR_1=20

EXTRUDERS=2

That's all.

@tinkergnome

So I changed sensor and extruder setting, changed bed level positions, but now I can't find the start/heatup position anymore ... did the location change ?

Think it used to be here;

UltiLCD2_menu_print.cpp , and look like this; #define HEATUP_POSITION_COMMAND

Posted (edited) · More information during print

Ok, if found the heatup position, apparently it moved from the  "UltiLCD2_menu_print.cpp" to the "UltiLCD2_menu_print.h" ? (tried and it works ok ....)

Is there no distinct functional difference between the .h and .ccp files ? what are they??

There's something else strange in your firmware when used with dual extruders, all is fine when used with the 2 extruders, but it goes wrong when used with a normal single extruder cura g-code :(

When I start a single extruder print it also heats the 2th extruder, I double checked but there's nothing in the G-code, the firmware just heats it toghether with the 1st extruder..

Any idea (anybody/@tinkergnome) what could be wrong?

Edited by Guest

When I start a single extruder print it also heats the 2th extruder, I double checked but there's nothing in the G-code, the firmware just heats it toghether with the 1st extruder..

Any idea (anybody/@tinkergnome) what could be wrong?

I made a short check just now. It's working like expected in the simulator (since i don't have a second extruder i cannot test it any further).

Did you sliced it with Cura (UltiGcode) or something else? Using UltiGcode: the first comment lines are important. A non zero value for MATERIAL2 switches on the second nozzle.

If in doubt - can you share the gcode-file (send me a PM)?

But keep in mind that i'm moving to a new appartment this weekend - so probably i'm not very responsive - my online connection has to move too - let's see how that works... :)

Ah congrats with the new apartment. .. there's no hurry i can print.. and can always flash it back... i'll see if I can do some checks tomorrow. ..