Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
foehnsturm

A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

Recommended Posts

BTW, currently doing another run with different settings. Now it looks like I'm on the right path. A big nozzle and thicker layers for PVA seem to do the trick.

0.1 mm layer and 0.4 nozzle for PLA & 0.2 mm layer and 0.8 nozzle for PVA almost works like charm. Way faster and consistent PVA depositing, less tool changes, less overall printing time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look what I found in the printer this morning.

However, I'm not sure if I'll ever manage to totally dissolve the PVA ...

But slicer generated support just doesn't work reliable with complex geometries where lots of tiny PVA support structures would start on top of PLA surfaces.

P1100110.thumb.JPG.b4b4e6213ccf368a8be7bd3feed06487.JPG

P1100108.thumb.JPG.728b487841d432978f2c3c8c52c3f16b.JPG

If it'll ever see the light of day it should look like this.

large.png

 

Hi,

Can you send me the STL so we can do a test print ourselves? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a bit offtopic, but not much.

I just saw this full BCN3D calibration video, and I must say it's perfectly planed. The firmware, for dual, should look much like this and allow adjustments on the firmware without the need of adjusting x/y/z manually (except on the case of using a hotend with actually 2 extruders on the same place).

It's a quite brilliant and simple process of calibration

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After some not so pleasant experience with syringe-based paste extruding recently, I started thinking about a different way to do it. I'm not heading for food printing but more for a way to combine FFF-parts with stuff like silicone. So if anyone already has some experience with paste, please feel free to share.

My main concerns with the standard approach are the following:

 

  • Pressure - Syringes, especially with an attached tube produce huge back-pressure with highly viscous material
  • Power - Therefore a highly geared powerful driving mechanism is required
  • Control - Highly viscous material under high pressure seems to be very hard to control (think of those silicone cartriges)
  • Ease of use - Prming /pushing the stuff through a bowden type tube can take ages
  • Waste - With materials like silicone the entire drive-train is impossible to clean, you'll lierally throw away everything each time

 

 

I'd like to have a solution to extrude a reasonable amount of highly viscous material (like 10-20 ml) with a special head for the tool changer. Even though they're way too big you can google "zombie blood bag" to get an idea of what I'm thinking about ;)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Structur3D folks went the syringe and geared extruder route. They even sell a package with the paste extruder integrated with a UM2+. It should be straightforward to adapt their extruder to your toolhead changer. Unfold ~fab uses compressed air and a moineau pump instead of a geared motor, definitely not something for a home use.

I ran into the same five issues as you when I built a syringe extruder, but since I'm looking to print clay I'm now thinking about skipping the high viscosity issue entirely, and doing some variant of a powder bed type approach.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi. i think a logical concept and a good innovation if successfully executed by R & D fellows.

i hav a different problem with dual printing. my files for printing are usually more than 150 mb. doing double head printing both cura and repertier have limitatins and the print cannot be done with confidence at least by me. i would like to know if people have got success with files above 200mb. please advise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@foehnsturm in your quest to mix flexible filament with PLA, i don't know if you remember but we talked about a flexible bio compostable filament made in Germany, it's a good one, it's called WillowFlex

I could give it a try with my single setup if you want to see how it reacts to PLA or PLA-PHA?

Polysupport looks like an interesting material for support i was pretty impressed by the quality of what i say at AM amsterdam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Our picks

    • Ultimaker Cura | a new interface
      We're not only trying to always make Ultimaker Cura better with the usual new features and improvements we build, but we're also trying to make it more pleasant to operate. The interface was the focus for the upcoming release, from which we would already like to present you the first glance. 
        • Like
      • 130 replies
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies
×

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!