What's the best PLA for the Ultimaker 2?

mazarun

Posted · What's the best PLA for the Ultimaker 2?

Hi,

I recently purchased an Ultimaker 2 about two weeks ago. I'm interested in getting new colors of filament. Does anyone know what is the best PLA filament to use with the Ultimaker?

Thanks

Also any suggestions on how to make certain prints stick better to the build plate besides slowing the speed down a lot? The glue doesn't seem to be helping much.

The 2 PLA filaments that I like are from ColorFabb and Faberdashery.

ColorFabb has a PLA/PHA and a XT which is a copolyester and I s produced in Holland, and Faberdashery produce in the UK, both are Dia 2.85 with a tight tolerance and print print very nicely.

I have got some short sample lengths of some other makes that I have been doing some tests on, T-Glase, Reprapper, and a semi flexable Ninjaflex, ive tried these as the have thermo colour changing, UV reactive or flexibility, with diameters faring from 2.75mm up to 3.05mm although I have managed to get these to print ok.

Quality wise then for me it's ColorFabb and Fabadashery, both have great colours and print nicely with a good finish when I get up and running as a hub then these will be my filaments of 1st preference.

I have to agree with Izzy, so far my favourites have been Faberdashery and Colorfabb. I have printed more of Faberdashery's colours, and they are superb. I especially loved the metallic and transparent ones. If you're interested in exotic filaments, in the States it should be reasonably easy for you to get Proto-Pasta, who make very experimental filaments with magnetic, conductive and metallic properties.

Thank you for the input!! Do you know any distributers in the US that supply Colorfabb and/or Faberdashery?

Printed Solid carries Colorfabb and is located in New Jersey. Unfortunately they are almost always out of stock of most colors. They do have Glowfill, black, white and infill PLA in stock. Just got to catch them at the right time if you're looking for colors.

I have been ordering from Voxel Factory in Montreal. They have a larger color selection in stock and shipping rates/delivery times aren't too bad. I am in Boston area and get packages from them within 2-3 days. I think they are expected to get more stock from Colorfabb within the next few weeks,

Haven't found US supplier of Faberdashery.....yet.

Might be worth dropping Faberdashery an email, they may have a US importer or be able to ship to you.

Posted (edited) · What's the best PLA for the Ultimaker 2?

No strikethrough option available. Easier to just delete. Comment deleted.

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · What's the best PLA for the Ultimaker 2?

I printed some stuff with meltink filament (out of Florida, USA).  It did well in my stringing test, bridging test and overhang test - almost prints horizontal as you can see (those 3 overhang tests printed simultaneously - zero stringing cleanup or any cleanup done on any of these parts).  I'd say it's as good as colorfabb or utlimaker filament. But the colors!  I love this color.  Gorgeous.

5a33412296f5b_2017-11-2010_31_02.thumb.jpg.877d0c9772792b0e54a7533ec303d89a.jpg

https://www.meltink3d.com/

5a33412296f5b_2017-11-2010_31_02.thumb.jpg.877d0c9772792b0e54a7533ec303d89a.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Recently used some Maker Geek Raptor PLA. It is a higher temp PLA that has better structural and temp capability. Printed very clean, for large flat top surfaces made the best finish I have seen yet. Prints on painters tape cleaned with acetone at room temp, and holds on too well, a little hard to get off.

I have also had good experience with IC3D PLA. Prints straight to clean heated glass bed with out any trouble, no rafts or brims.

Both of these are USA products.

• Like 1

I like Polymakers Polymax to print with. For sticking to the heated bed, 3dlac is a good alternative.

I like Polymakers Polymax to print with. For sticking to the heated bed, 3dlac is a good alternative.

Very good filament, the only pla i use these days, wand as supportmaterial their polysupport.