All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Whether one size is better than the other or which 3d printer is the best or fastest isn't really important, but certainly a machine with no filament in it will struggle!🙂
  3. Hi there When we talk about this matter, it can be tempting to mention the "competition" among manufacturers of 3d printers as to who has the printer that prints the fastest with good quality. So, how fast can a 3d printer with 1.75 mm filament print? Here, of course, the selected nozzle size plays a role, as you can actually print much faster with a larger nozzle and still have good quality and accuracy on the model. With this in mind, I'm not so sure that 1.75mm size filament will displace 2.85mm type filament, -but rather the opposite may happen (IMHO). But time will tell. An UltiMaker printer can print at a "fairly" high speed with a 0.6 mm or 0.8 mm nozzle. Thanks Torgeir.
  4. Today
  5. Okay, so if I can get back on topic for a second: Firstly, remember, everything looks terrible when subjected to a macro lens, plus this is only a small 32mm x 32mm example. Oh, and it's PLA, because while I keep a bunch of colours of PLA and a few of TPU in stock, I only have grey PETG. Layers of green printed: 3 Green surface flush with blue: yes Scripts by Greg used: ¼ (he's touched pretty much all of the included scripts so it's hard not to) gcode files used to print: 1 Messing with gcode files required: a little bit Colour changes required: 1
  6. Nice and very detailed, long answer. But unfortunately, that misses the point. Mainly it's probably about the desire of quite a few users to be able to change the settings of the mouse/trackball so that the handling corresponds to the usual CAD program, for example. And since many users also use a 3D mouse, it is obvious that these users also want to not have to constantly change their grip and/or rethink things. Even though everyone here understands that there is no endless manpower of programmers available here, this topic has been on the agenda for years, but is always treated like a stepchild.
  7. ... I haven't seen any option for that in 5v7 ... It's important to remember that these are fairly niche features you're talking about, and that development manpower is a finite resource. What percentage of Cura users would have a SpaceMouse? I'm guessing under 1%. Cura is almost certainly used by professionals who use UltiMaker's printers and might have one, but there's also a very high number of hobbyists and things like educational facilities using it, most of whom wouldn't even know what one is. There are bugs that need fixing which affect well over 1% of users. There are features in development which will likely be useful to well over 1% of users. It just makes sense to prioritise these things, especially since Cura might be free to download, but is still essentially "sold" as part of the product with UltiMaker printers, both to individuals and enterprise customers. People who spend the money for an UltiMaker printer (I wish I could afford to be one of them) or buy a whole bunch of them for their school or business want solid software with features useful to them, and the significant majority of them do not own a SpaceMouse. So why is it that smaller open source projects like FreeCAD or OpenSCAD support devices like these? They are passion projects. The people who do the development also use the program a lot. And if you're that much into CAD that you develop a FOSS CAD program, then the odds you have a SpaceMouse are significantly higher. And when you're not a company responsible for delivering the best quality software they can to customers, your priority list can basically be whatever you want it to be. Does it suck when peripheral <x> doesn't work with software <y>. Yes. The number of flight games which only recognise my HOTAS as a three axis joystick make me want to through said HOTAS through the screen (fortunately they're often a bit of a tangle of cables so it's not that easy). I have an eleven button mouse. The buttons can act as generic mouse buttons, but most programs won't let you map anything more than a left, right or middle click, so I have to resort to using the configuration program included with the drivers to map them to key combinations. This also means that running in the background I have configuration software for Corsair, Valve (Steam counts when you own a Steam controller), Razer and four different Logitech programs (and not that it runs in the background, but I do have to fire up 8BitDo's software at times). Far from an ideal situation, but I can't reasonably expect game developers to have native support for all these things which most people don't have. What can I do about it? Well for most games, and most software, not much. But if you want something supported in open source software, then you can implement it and submit a pull request to have it included in the main program. I know that it sounds easy when I put it like that but putting it like that ignores the fact that programming doesn't come easily to a lot of people. And the crux when it comes to development: nothing is as easy as it sounds. Nothing is as moderately difficult as you think it will be. Fixing one bug adds two more. So when there's only so many people working on a program, they have to allocate their time as best they can. And adding support for something that will only benefit a small number of people often just doesn't make the cut.
  8. Haha! haven't we all 🤣 and the same stupid mistake every time you promise to be more careful and not do it again! 🙄 Thanks, you've been very helpful, I'm going to start the print tomorrow when I'm WFH, I'll comeback and say how it went.
  9. ... I haven't seen any option for that in 5v7 ...
  10. Do we have to install Rawmouse to use a spacemouse or is it built into 5.7 preferences now?
  11. Same question and same disappointment. It's a shame that things like this are not implemented since years. I'm not a coder but it can't be so hard to create an option to remap how the mouse/trackball react... And no: "freecad trackpad" don't do nothing at my side in 5.7. If I chose that, I lost the control of the cam view completely; it just don't work...
  12. If you can give me an example file (preferably a Cura project so it's set up for your machine) I'm happy to trawl through settings for a bit seeing if I find anything.
  13. How much of a change needs to be made? Do you just need to insert a gcode command at layer 50, or do you need to remove a wiping command from every layer above 50, or... what?
  14. Has this issue been fixed? I just switched to Cura 5.6 and immediately realized this "Filter out tiny gaps" option was removed. This option is an absolute necessity to reduce blobbing when printing with large nozzles. Is there any plugin or other way to re-enable this feature?
  15. There are quite a few things under post processing that will change many settings at a certain Z. They make temp towers and what not. All cool stuff. I made my own printer. It has some interference at higher Z w.r.t. wiping. I'd like to be able to turn wiping off at layer 50. It seems that it would be cool if an arbitrary setting could be modified at a certain Z ... so that's what I'm asking for.
  16. So... It's win10 on which it's running. I changed it to run as administrator --- no change in behavior. Still tries to slice the 10cube infinitely. If it was running on FreeBSD, I'd already be using it, but Cura is the only software in my build chain that doesn't run there (so windows is still in use). I'm trying to correct this, but Cura's build chain is somewhat obtuse. Anyways... no change.
  17. I can see in the log that it found cura.cfg.bu and tried to upgrade that. I didn't think it ever looked for any file other than "cura.cfg". Try closing Cura, then either moving to a completely different location (like your home directory) or deleting the cura.cfg.bu file, then load Cura again and see if it generates a new config file. If it doesn't, close it, open it, close it (just to make sure the log file is full of whatever happens when it tries to find its config file) and post the log file.
  18. Not that I know of (I'm not really a fan of video tutorials in general, I'd rather something written I can go through at my own pace, though it's getting harder to avoid these days). Do this at your own risk if you don't completely know what you're doing. If you put together a gcode file and want to see if it's valid post it and I'll look. The really, really simplified version is: You slice it at multiple layer heights. Open the gcode file for the layer height you want to start with. In the gcode file, find the start of the layer that is after the layer at the height you want to change (don't go by layer number) - Cura leaves comments in gcode files which start with ";LAYER" so it's easy to find the start of layers. Delete that layer and the rest of the file after it. Open the gcode file for the next layer height and find the start of the layer at the correct height (which will be the layer after the change height). Copy that layer and the rest of the file and put it at the end of the first file. Go back to the gcode file for the next height and look for the first line before the layer you copied over which starts with G0 or G1 and has an E number. Copy the number after the E. Back in your main file, on a new line immediately before where you pasted from the next file, insert this command (obviously replace my placeholder with the right number) G92 E<number from other file> Repeat steps 3-7 for each file at a different layer height. (I told you that you need to know what you're doing)
  19. Still no cura.cfg file has appeared. I attached the log and log.1 files. cura.log cura.log.1.log
  20. Please provide more information. Is this on the printer itself? In cura? Maybe show a screen shot if the problem is in cura or a photo of the display if this is some kind of ultimaker printer. And are we talking about an S5?
  21. Not even the RepRap Wiki's gcode reference (which covers multiple flavours, including what flavours support what commands) mentions a G5. For all I know, could just be a typo and result in a no-op. They are working on improved tools to test submitted definitions, but even then there's only so much theoretical testing you can do.
  22. A little background: The printer definition files come from either a manufacturer, or from an owner of a particular printer. UltiMaker will accept a request to add a printer, or to alter an existing printer definition, but other than checking spelling and syntax, UM doesn't have any way to check on whether the definition submittal is actually right or not. One of the things that is contained in the definition file is the StartUp Gcode that preps the machine for the print and the Ending Gcode that shuts the machine down when the print ends. There are a couple of errors in both your StartUp and Ending Gcodes, and then there is the temperature problem. Within your StartUp Gcode, the last line is "G5". Since nothing else is calling for bed leveling then "G5" might be an AnyCubic specific bed leveling command. If it is, then it's possible that the macro the firmware runs in response to G5 is setting the Hot End Temperature lower (120). Since it is the last line in the StartUp, the temperature stays at whatever the firmware set it to. When you open the project file below, it will over-write both your current StartUp Gcode and the Ending Gcode with the changes I've made. If "G5" is indeed the call for Auto Leveling then the new StartUp Gcode has a temperature line after the G5. I made a couple of other changes as well. The new StartUp has Cura variable names in it but it will look like this in a gcode file. ;----------------------StartUp Gcode G21 ; metric values G90 ; absolute positioning M82 ; absolute extrusion M107 ; fan off M220 S100 ; reset the feed rate M221 S100 ; reset the flow rate M104 S120 ; pre-heat the hot end M190 S60 ; Set the bed temp and wait G28 X0 Y0 ; Auto Home the X/Y axes G28 Z0 ; Auto Home the Z axis G1 F3600 Z15 ; move the nozzle up G92 E0 ; zero the extruder G1 F200 E3 ; extrude 3mm of filament G92 E0 ; zero the extruder G5 ; Auto-Level? G0 F3600 Z5 ; move up G0 X0 Y0 ; move to the left front M109 S200 ; Set the hot end temp and wait M117 Printing... ; message to LCD ;-----------------------End of StartUp If you don't like what I've done then you can open that project file you posted and the StartUp and Endings will revert to your original code. If you just want to touch something up go to "Manage Printers" and then "Machine Settings" and the StartUp and Ending will be there. GV Boat pylon top test pillar diam.3mf
  23. Yeah, a lot of people don't do that. Annoys the cud out of me. I don't want people Googling a problem to open the thread, see a wall of text with no marked solution, so just post the same question again. This thread isn't really "solved' so much as a "not our department" as @Dustin explained so there's not really much that can be done in this case.
  24. Try increasing Quality > Support Line Width. The general guideline for line width is 60-150% of your nozzle width, so if you're using a (relatively common) 0.4mm nozzle, set it to 0.6mm. Okay, not the clearest example ever (I just opened a model I use for testing little things). If you want to stop support creeping into extremely tiny areas that can probably be bridged easily, then increase Support > Minimum Support Area (I can't really give you a value, just start with like 1mm² and play around with it). Everything is a competition, at least to me. Have you managed to cut yourself with a craft hobby knife through cut resistant gloves?
  25. I don't mind so much if they're letting me do the thinking for them. */me remembers all the times she's been called on to fix computer "problems" which just involve looking at what's on screen and pressing a button* You know what, never mind. I concur. But when someone wants to remove the top bit from something spiralised, they're not looking for a script which can remove the top <x> layers from anything, especially since their original problem doesn't even involve layers.
  1. Load more activity