Cura 2.1 open beta has been released!

SandervG

Posted · Cura 2.1 open beta has been released!

Right now I've to emphasize dirty. Until this morning I didn't know a thing about Python. And, honestly, the way it uses whitespace for syntax almost drove me crazy.

I just took the PauseAt... plugin and modified it. The code it produces is kinda experimental as it leaves tool changing with priming and retraction and temperature management completely to the firmware.

• Replies 296
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are my first impressions on this open beta.

• Auto-slicing...:( For the love of god, please, please, make it an option to manually trigger slicing.
    • Cura, by default, without asking for consent, is sending information back to home ("Send (anonymous) print information"). Even if it is "anonymous" you should ask for the users consent before enabling this...
    • Having "Scale large files" enabled by default is imo not a good choice...but that is probably the way it has always been...and just me. But it gives the user a false impression that a file fits on the printer...only to discover when the print is done that it is not the expected size.
    • Show a message dialog, or at least something, informing the user that the model was scaled to fit. If you don't agree with the previous point about auto-scaling then please do at least this instead.

In general I like the new version, and I don't mind the new interface. But then I didn't use the old version _that_ much.

• Like 2

Another issue. If you have "one at a time" enabled and drop multiple objects on Cura it can/will position objects outside of the build area, even if the objects will fit. It looks like it is just trying a lazy way of placing them all in one line, and that will not work. And then it just "gives up".

And if you try to reposition the objects manually so that they fit...Cura will no longer slice the objects.

So far this is only tested on Win7 64-bit.

I have a strange issue: it happened twice already and still to find out what triggers it...

The build size is off, much to low for the specific printer, yesterday it was my UMO HB and this morning the UM2Go. The only way to get rid if this is to delete the machine and add it again.

5a331b1078bb1_builssize.thumb.png.ebdc295fc1913c091b93149529ea91e1.png

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.1 open beta has been released!

I have a strange issue: it happened twice already and still to find out what triggers it...

The build size is off, much to low for the specific printer, yesterday it was my UMO HB and this morning the UM2Go. The only way to get rid of this is to delete the machine and add it again.

Edited by Guest

had this issue also yesterday but thought it was my fault as I´m struggling around with .json files to get my dual print setup done....

b.t.w.: @foehnsturm, how have you managed to get the dual setup done? I´m struggling around with it since yesterday morning without a positive result... Could you maybe post how you did it?

Edited by Guest

Having "Scale large files" enabled by default is imo not a good choice...but that is probably the way it has always been...and just me.

Yeah, that is the default in Old cura, so that's why we kept it. It should display a message when the auto scale happens though.

Auto-slicing... For the love of god, please, please, make it an option to manually trigger slicing.

Why?

Cura, by default, without asking for consent, is sending information back to home ("Send (anonymous) print information"). Even if it is "anonymous" you should ask for the users consent before enabling this...

Old Cura did the same actually (auto enabling the feature and notifying you of the fact).

Edited by Guest

It looks like it is just trying a lazy way of placing them all in one line, and that will not work. And then it just "gives up".

Yeah, it's a very very lazy algorithm.

The slicing blocking has nothing to do with the positioning, but with windows being freakishly annoying about some things. I thought I fixed that issue (which our testing team confirmed) but somehow it did sneak itself into the beta again. Sigh.

tinkergnome helped me with a json file. This is for the UM 2+ but I think only the first lines need to be changed for an UMO.

I drop it in the machines folder, restart cura and select the new printer. Then the additional extruder settings are available.

{   "version": 1,   "id": "ultimaker2plus_dual“,   "name": "Ultimaker 2+ Dual“,"manufacturer": "Ultimaker","author": "Ultimaker",   "file_formats": "text/x-gcode",   "inherits": "ultimaker2plus.json",   "visible": true,   "machine_settings": {       "machine_use_extruder_offset_to_offset_coords": { "default": false },	"machine_extruder_count": { "default": 2 },       "machine_nozzle_offset_x": { "default": 0, "SEE_machine_extruder_trains": true },       "machine_nozzle_offset_y": { "default": 0, "SEE_machine_extruder_trains": true  },       "machine_extruder_start_code": { "default": "", "SEE_machine_extruder_trains": true  },       "machine_extruder_start_pos_abs": { "default": false, "SEE_machine_extruder_trains": true   },       "machine_extruder_start_pos_x": { "default": 0, "SEE_machine_extruder_trains": true   },       "machine_extruder_start_pos_y": { "default": 0, "SEE_machine_extruder_trains": true   },       "machine_extruder_end_pos_abs": { "default": false, "SEE_machine_extruder_trains": true   },       "machine_extruder_end_pos_x": { "default": 0, "SEE_machine_extruder_trains": true   },       "machine_extruder_end_pos_y": { "default": 0, "SEE_machine_extruder_trains": true   },       "machine_extruder_end_code": { "default": "", "SEE_machine_extruder_trains": true  }   },   "categories": {       "dual": {           "label": "Dual Extrusion",           "visible": true,		"always_visible": true,           "icon": "category_dual",           "settings": {               "extruder_nr": {                   "label": "Extruder",                   "description": "The extruder train used for printing. This is used in multi-extrusion.",                   "type": "int",                   "default": 0,                   "min_value": "0",                   "max_value": "16",                   "always_visible": true,                   "children": {                       "adhesion_extruder_nr": {                           "label": "Platform Adhesion Extruder",                           "description": "The extruder train to use for printing the skirt/brim/raft. This is used in multi-extrusion.",                           "type": "int",                           "default": 0,                           "min_value": "0",                           "max_value": "16",                           "global_only": true                       },                       "support_extruder_nr": {                           "label": "Support Extruder",                           "description": "The extruder train to use for printing the support. This is used in multi-extrusion.",                           "type": "int",                           "default": 0,                           "min_value": "0",                           "max_value": "16",                           "global_only": true                       },                       "support_extruder_nr_layer_0": {                           "label": "First Layer Support Extruder",                           "description": "The extruder train to use for printing the first layer of support. This is used in multi-extrusion.",                           "type": "int",                           "default": 0,                           "min_value": "0",                           "max_value": "16",                           "inherit_function": "support_extruder_nr",                           "global_only": true                       },                       "support_roof_extruder_nr": {                           "label": "Support Roof Extruder",                           "description": "The extruder train to use for printing the roof of the support. This is used in multi-extrusion.",                           "type": "int",                           "default": 0,                           "min_value": "0",                           "max_value": "16",                           "inherit_function": "support_extruder_nr",                           "enabled": "support_roof_enable",                           "global_only": true                       }                   }               }           }       }   }}

The build size is off, much to low for the specific printer, yesterday it was my UMO HB and this morning the UM2Go. The only way to get rid of this is to delete the machine and add it again.

The height is correct; one at a time lets you only print at a height of 55mm. Set your mode to all at once and the height should change again.

Having "Scale large files" enabled by default is imo not a good choice...but that is probably the way it has always been...and just me.

Yeah, that is the default in Old cura, so that's why we kept it. It should display a message when the auto scale happens though.

Nope, I did not see any message warning me that the model was scaled. Otherwise I would not have mentioned it as an issue.

Auto-slicing... For the love of god, please, please, make it an option to manually trigger slicing.

Why?

Because auto-slicing means that every change you make immediately triggers a slice. Which is time, and resource, waste.

Cura, by default, without asking for consent, is sending information back to home ("Send (anonymous) print information"). Even if it is "anonymous" you should ask for the users consent before enabling this...

Old Cura did the same actually (auto enabling the feature and notifying you of the fact).

Again, I was not alerted about this. I just noticed it when I went into settings that it was enabled.

• Like 1

It looks like it is just trying a lazy way of placing them all in one line, and that will not work. And then it just "gives up".

Yeah, it's a very very lazy algorithm.

The slicing blocking has nothing to do with the positioning, but with windows being freakishly annoying about some things. I thought I fixed that issue (which our testing team confirmed) but somehow it did sneak itself into the beta again. Sigh.

It is completely different in 15.04 compared to 2.1. In 15.04 it places all the object "front-to-back" and they fit in the print area. But in 2.1 they are placed in "left-to-right" and one object is outside the print area.

I just tested loading a too large scale model and it correctly displays the message;

autoscalescreenshot.png.e6e55c8a1d8299341ba00eeb1baa2a12.png

Edited by Guest

I just tested loading a too large scale model and it correctly displays the message;

True, I didn't notice that...because it goes away after a few seconds...so unless you stare at the screen all the time you will probably miss that warning.

• Like 1

True, I didn't notice that...because it goes away after a few seconds...so unless you stare at the screen all the time you will probably miss that warning.

Fair enough. I'll log it as an issue.

Autoslice. Hate it. But if Ultimaker team needs a good argument to remove it I can give you one. Energy savings! Save the nature, today computers use more energy when processing and less when cpu it's idle. So, let's go green?

• Like 4

Hi !

Thank you for this version !

I was instaling an old version of cura because I needed hexa infill (grid infill is not really good for deformable material) and I saw all new patterns for infill in this version.

Printing Two object with different parameters is a very good feature for testing things (and saving time).

The major default for me is autoslicing. I got complex and hight poly models and i have two wait 20 sec after each parameter modification. If it can be manually trigger, I will forget to trigger it sometimes xD. A checkbox for disable it can be a good alternativ for people who doesn't like it (I'm patient so i don't need that).

I had no problem with it, so far so good :)

Good job.

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.fbd337c5d0001311cfd26eb2b490d8af.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fbd337c5d0001311cfd26eb2b490d8af.jpeg

• Like 3

So now you're saying that if I disable auto slice I will have less warm days to do BBQ? That's not helping ;)

• Like 1

Add me to the "No Auto slicing " group, it's a pain in the B.. :)

if not, then repair the possibility to adjust certain parameters while it's slicing,

I also work with high poly-count models, and have to remove the object from the platform to adjust certain settings :(

I frequently have to check certain models to see how fast it can be printed, and how much material is used with certain settings.

and having to keep on moving the model in and out of the center is just a pain.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

About material use, I notice that Cura 2.1 doesn't display the weight of material use but only the lenght.

Also I can't modify the diameter of the material (in the option it is in grey with some other parameters). is that normal ? I'm using a 3mm one and i guess it's 2.85 mm by default.

3mm for 2.85 isn't a big deal but I just notice that the parameter cant be modify.

• Like 1

Is there a documentation for the printer.json files?

Special which parameter goes to which section and what they affect in the different places. And what effect have the "visible", "always_visible", "active_if" settings in detail?

For example:

in prusa_i3.json is in "machine_settings" defined:

"material_diameter": { "default": 1.75 },

in RigidBot.json is defined in "overrides" as:

"material_diameter": { "default": 1.75, "visible": true },

Add me to the "No Auto slicing " group, it's a pain in the B.. :)

if not, then repair the possibility to adjust certain parameters while it's slicing,

I also work with high poly-count models, and have to remove the object from the platform to adjust certain settings :(

I frequently have to check certain models to see how fast it can be printed, and how much material is used with certain settings.

and having to keep on moving the model in and out of the center is just a pain.

Uh, changing parameters while slicing, even with extremely high poly models (binary stls of 100 ish mb) work fine for me.

The slicing (or the sending) isn't done in python anymore, so the gui really can't become slower due to slicing.

Is there a documentation for the printer.json files?

Special which parameter goes to which section and what they affect in the different places. And what effect have the "visible", "always_visible", "active_if" settings in detail?

For example:

in  prusa_i3.json is in "machine_settings" defined:

"material_diameter": { "default": 1.75 },

in RigidBot.json is defined in "overrides" as:

"material_diameter": { "default": 1.75, "visible": true },

"visible" -> Is this setting visible by default for this printer (can be overriden by user)

"active_if" -> We used that in old versions, but we no longer do it like this. Has been replaced by "enabled" property, that can now have functions instead of just booleans. Not all machines are updated (as we only update our own machines)

"always_visible" -> That setting doesn't exist.

Machine settings can (by default) not be changed by the user as they are machine specific (eg; changing them would imply that the machine is no longer the same). If you make modifications to your machine, this should result in a new .json file (with those parameters changed).

Uh, changing parameters while slicing, even with extremely high poly models (binary stls of 100 ish mb) work fine for me.

The slicing (or the sending) isn't done in python anymore, so the gui really can't become slower due to slicing.

Seriously, why do you have such a hard time understanding that auto-slicing is not something that works for everyone? The only argument I have seen from you is "it works fine for me".

Every other argument I have seen from users saying that they want to be able to disable it is something I have faced too. As soon as you do anything more than "load stil" -> "save/print" it's a big hassle. Today I was playing with some small objects in Cura and there were times when the UI did not respond immediately to my actions.

It can't be rocket science implementing a setting to disable auto-slicing and add a "Slice me now" button. ;)

• Like 2