Cura 2.1 open beta has been released!

SandervG

Posted · Cura 2.1 open beta has been released!

- add a small gap between traces, so we can see how 100% infill layers are printed

I don't quite understand what you mean by that.

In the 100% infill layers, we can't see the tool path: we just see a flat yellow surface. Adding a little gap between each tool path would allow to see them.

In videos of S3D that I have seen, it seems that the tool paths are rendered as horizontal cylinders with gradients so you can distinguish each path when they are directly adjacent to each other.

I believe @fma is asking for the ability to distinguish each tool path, even when they are directly adjacent, by adding a small gap or black line or something. I.e. so that, for example 100% infill does not just look like a solid wall of colour but looks like distinct lines.

E.g. Like this or this. (From Google image search.)

Now, I am not saying copy S3D necessarily. Cura should be it's own brand of awesomeness. :D But the end result would be nice. The trick would be to still be able to distinguish between a space between tool paths and merely adjacent tool paths.

Anyway, I hope this help clarify things. @fma, correct me if I am wrong. :)

• Replies 296
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah right. That makes sense. The improvement is on our tracker, but there is only so much we can jam into a single release. Once the open beta is here, i'm sure you can agree that there is enough new features / improvements in it to compensate for this not being in there ;)

• Like 1

A few observations.

when saving gcode files the directory is not remembered I always get my home directory and have to navigate to where I store the gcode files every time. really really annoying. It works fine for opening files that one remembers where I was last time but not the save to file.

This is almost my biggest hatred of the app.

A few observations.

when saving gcode files the directory is not remembered I always get my home directory and have to navigate to where I store the gcode files every time. really really annoying. It works fine for opening files that one remembers where I was last time but not the save to file.

This is almost my biggest hatred of the app.

The only work-around I know of (and the one I use) is to right-mouse click on your gcodes folder and select "Pin to Quick Access" in the pop-up menu.

Then you can just click on it in the File Open/Save dialog box to jump directly to it instead of navigating through countless folders.

Hope this helps.

Or download the new beta. We fixed it there.

Or download the new beta. We fixed it there.

OMG. I never even noticed!

I just so got in the habbit of clicking on my gCode Quick Access folder that I never paid attention to what folder came up in Save! :D

Read through most of these comments. I think some of my gripes will be fixed in 2.2, but this is what I have so far:

Edit machine settings/custom machine gui (already implemented in 2.2 I think)

Start/end Gcode tab, this could also be implemented in machine settings so the JSON approach would work easily.

Custom material settings gui (Necessity)

I WOULD like to be able to print directly over USB to my kit printer, but it isn't an ultimaker like my other printer.

Why is the temp scaling for layer volume disabled? (I was really excited about this setting, it's why I downloaded 2.1.3 :c)

Profile adding and editing is a little funky (Let us choose a name before it saves?)

Infill angle offset? I don't use this setting much, but for certain models it can be very useful.

Different infill patterns? I thought I had read that different patterns were going to be supported in 2.1.3, but there's no option. Maybe I'm reading what I want to read.

Different color for top layers. The bottom layer is red, but top is left hanging with that yellow. Maybe a green or something would work for that.

Custom supports would be a very nice thing. Sometimes a hoomin knows better than a script.

Most of these are just "nice to have" settings/options, but some make/break use for me, even on the ultimaker 2 I use.

One actual issue I've noticed is that the infill just isn't printing right, seems like it's missing ~20% of what I would expect. I think this issue is also causing some minor nozzle collisions. I'll have to do more fooling around to confirm it, but yeah.

Overall, thanks for your hard work. Last time I tried cura 2, I couldn't even manipulate the model (yes, it was selected). You guys seem to have knocked out quite a few bugs. I'm also happy to report that edge curling is DRASTICALLY reduced compared to cura 15.x . I enjoy that, as it is a big issue in many of the models I print.

Edit machine settings/custom machine gui (already implemented in 2.2 I think)

Yep

Start/end Gcode tab, this could also be implemented in machine settings so the JSON approach would work easily.

Machine settings plugin handle this.

Custom material settings gui (Necessity)

2.3 final will have this.

I WOULD like to be able to print directly over USB to my kit printer, but it isn't an ultimaker like my other printer.

For USB printing it doesn't need to be a Ultimaker. The guys from Aleph objects (lulzbot) are also looking into fixing this for Cura.

Why is the temp scaling for layer volume disabled? (I was really excited about this setting, it's why I downloaded 2.1.3 :c)

Because we don't have the right data yet.

Profile adding and editing is a little funky (Let us choose a name before it saves?)

Fixed in 2.3 beta

Different infill patterns? I thought I had read that different patterns were going to be supported in 2.1.3, but there's no option.  Maybe I'm reading what I want to read.

There are multiple infill patterns.

Custom supports would be a very nice thing.  Sometimes a hoomin knows better than a script.

Agreed, but it's not a simple feature. I'd love to get it in Cura, but we focused on speed & dual extrusion for the 2.3 release.

Looks like I'll just have to be patient, hah.

For some reason, Cura doesn't let me print tethered. Maybe I have to restart or something, it's been a while.

As for the infill setting, IDK how I didn't see it before, it was staring me right in the face when I opened cura just now.. :l

I think you guys will end up with a near perfect slicer, once everything's implemented.

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.1 open beta has been released!

Just one idea. If I need to print something like a cylinder

5a332167052cb_2016-09-179_58_26.thumb.png.b833f0acf3f3a1fe6f4b6eacdf1b0f49.png

Cura 2.3.0 do following

1) at first will be print inner perimeter (or outer perimeter depend on configuration)

2) then nozzle will be moved to print out perimeter

3) then outer perimeter is finished a bed go a bit down and the nozzle will be moved to print inner perimeter again.

The problem is: the moving of the bed and the moving of the nozzle at the same time cause a lot of additional vibrations. The better way in this case - don't change from outer to inner perimeter, just move the bed down and continue the printing of the outer perimeter. With other words it will be very helpful to have a configuration possibility to alternate inner and outer perimeters for each new layer.

Thank you for attention!

5a332167052cb_2016-09-179_58_26.thumb.png.b833f0acf3f3a1fe6f4b6eacdf1b0f49.png

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.1 open beta has been released!

Why is the "new beta" being pushed silently?

The version name is the same it's terrible to identify/debug/reproduce.

Anyway, in the "new beta" (built Sept. 8 ) I can't Duplicate or Import materials, the buttons have silently disappeared!

What happened? A serious bug forced you to disable them until further fix?

I'm back on the "first beta" (built Aug 31) to enjoy creating new materials, and have no problem using them (OSX).

Edited by Guest

I'm back on the "first beta" (built Aug 31) to enjoy creating new materials, and have no problem using them (OSX).

Because it wasn't supposed to be enabled in the first place. At the point of release there were quite a few bugs in it (which you have been able to dodge so it seems). I think we fixed the latest material bugs last week.

Having some issues with increasing infill near top layers.. Doesn't matter what my infill setting is, it always ends up to around 15% in some sections of my print (I wanted 55%). Maybe my infill is too high to use this setting, but it seems like something that you should be able to keep enabled.

Also, I'm getting a lot of stringing on large moves, as if a retract hadn't occurred.

Cura 2.3 beta will not run on windows 10, just displays the loading window

then stops, no log created. had to go back to Cura 2.1.3.

The old Cura 2.3 beta worked ok

Phil

So Cura 2.3 is a minor, compatible upgrade (still a 2.x).

However it doesn't seem to see any of my machine definitions, printing profiles, material definitions and no longer have a "nozzle size" parameter that can be made visible.

Is there any user-documentation about how to migrate your settings?

So Cura 2.3 is a minor, compatible upgrade (still a  2.x).

However it doesn't seem to see any of my machine definitions, printing profiles, material definitions and no longer have a "nozzle size" parameter that can be made visible.

Is there any user-documentation about how to migrate your settings?

See the release notes. There is still one known issue.

OK so this topic is twelve pages long - I am not gonna read it all! I'm just posting a couple of kinky bugs I found using a UM2+ with Cura 2.3 on a MacBook (late 2013 top model).

I edit my own MATERIAL.tzt files because I find the scroll wheel to be difficult to use for entering all of the retractions, etc. of a new material.I have noticed that whatever material is the last one on the list gets a 256mm retraction length in all listings (0.25, 0.4, etc.). The 256mm value gets clipped to 50mm.

Then when it prints, each retraction goes almost half way up the feeder tube.

There was another bug but I forgot. Will report if I recall it.

Les

There is a Cura 2.3 dedicated thread:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/22398-cura-23-beta-is-here

oops, thanks!

There is a Cura 2.3 dedicated thread:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/22398-cura-23-beta-is-here

Well, that depends...LesHall: Are you using Cura 2.3 (Beta) or Cura 2.3 (Release) ?