Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
SandervG

Cura 2.3 Beta is here!

Dear friends,

I'm happy to tell you that we have just released a new Beta version of Cura! If you want to use the latest greatest of our slicing software you can download Cura 2.3 Beta here.

Some of my favorite new features are:

Speed

One of the first things you will notice after loading your model to start slicing is that the speed has significantly improved. Loading an STL became 10 to 20 times faster, layerview is much better and slicing speed is also improved.

Custom Machine Support

The new custom machine plug-in allows you to change your machine settings in a breeze. This goes for both modified Ultimakers as third party 3D printers. Small side note, this plug-in will be expanded for third party 3D printers in the near future!

Set Acceleration and Jerk by Feature

In our never ending chase for better quality and more precision, we have made it available for you to set Jerk and Acceleration per infill, walls and top/bottom.

Enhanced Combing

The 'No Skin' option will allow you to comb over infill only, to avoid scars on your precious top surfaces.

Curious about what else is new? Check out our blog here!

Let us know what you think in the comments below :)

• Like 2

how can we update materials, the "edit" button is greyed out when i have the PLA profile selected in the material preferences

That's the other thing we had issues with. The editing / importing of materials is disabled for the moment being.

Has someone managed to create a new profile with current settings under Cura 2.3 beta?

btw: Installation of the beta damaged part of my 2.1.3 profiles... :(

But: cool new features to test; one can now even change acceleration and jerk per print line type...

Edited by Guest

Seeing this error

unable.JPG.ed156786cfee3728fbeb4fa5da1605d7.JPG

What printer, what settings, what model?

Did you activate One at a time printing? From your very small screenshot crop, I can almost see that you are looking from the top of your buildplate. If you look at the buildplate more from the front, you will see that the available buildvolume has decreased. This is done because otherwise the gantry would collide with a previous print. You should have also gotten a message about this decrease in print volume height.

Has someone managed to create a new profile with current settings under Cura 2.3 beta?

There seems to be a bug in the profile converter between 2.1 and 2.3 which causes a partly broken install. If you clear the data in AppData/Local/Cura, you will have a lot more functional Cura (but you will have to re-add your machine and settings).

Seeing this error

What printer, what settings, what model?

Did you activate One at a time printing? From your very small screenshot crop, I can almost see that you are looking from the top of your buildplate. If you look at the buildplate more from the front, you will see that the available buildvolume has decreased. This is done because otherwise the gantry would collide with a previous print. You should have also gotten a message about this decrease in print volume height.

Ultimaker 2 profile

Essentially, any model that, by default, does not fit the build plate seems to get this.

Once rotated to fit, the slicer progress bar seems to move. Whether it writes reliable gcode...I don't know. :)

Try a file that requires rotation to fit (I'm printing BB-8 parts, so everything is round/circular).

Essentially, any model that, by default, does not fit the build plate seems to get this.  

I see. The message needs some rewording, because what is "suitable" in this case? It should read something like "None of the models fit the build volume. Please scale or rotate your models to fit."

• Like 1

I see. The message needs some rewording, because what is "suitable" in this case? It should read something like "None of the models fit the build volume. Please scale or rotate your models to fit."

Yes, exactly.

Otherwise you have no idea if the work you do to fit the build plate is 'acknowledged' by Cura :)