Using the Ultimaker3 CORE on an Ultimaker2

Posted (edited) · Using the Ultimaker3 CORE on an Ultimaker2

I love the new CORE, so I'm planning to make a head to use it also on Ultimaker2

I have a few questions I'm hoping somebody can help out with.

And just in general, If you have any idea's on the best head design just let me know;

connector2.thumb.png.209a613b101ec7823490ca114b45eebf.png

connector1.thumb.png.c8cb8a3d69965133accda2ffc2ef2f82.png

1st,

To electrically connect the core I need the connector with the metal pins, @daid is calling them pogo pins, but the ones used on UM3 don't seem to be pogo pins. If anyone can give a hint towards a compatible supplier and part? ( I'm using compatible as I assume UM employees are not allowed to disclose the used suppliers :)  )

2th

A close look at the board by @Gr5 seems to disclose the left two pads on the CORE board connect directly to the heater, the right to pads go to the temp sensor (PT100), the 2th pad from the right seems to be shared 'ground' to the chip on the core board.

I'm still wondering if it's safe to use the heater and pt100 directly, and I won't damage the chip on the CORE? anybody any idea about this?

HEADcore.thumb.png.af83b7582d1e528a9abcf2222b7bb14a.png

P2.thumb.png.b1cf98ac6d1b536d7ce4a75f71012e36.png

* , thanks for the pics of the board

connector2.thumb.png.209a613b101ec7823490ca114b45eebf.png

connector1.thumb.png.c8cb8a3d69965133accda2ffc2ef2f82.png

HEADcore.thumb.png.af83b7582d1e528a9abcf2222b7bb14a.png

P2.thumb.png.b1cf98ac6d1b536d7ce4a75f71012e36.png

Edited by Guest
  • Like 6

I have not measured the spacing, but that kind of connector is usually named "battery connector", and if the spacing between the pads are 2.3mm this one should fit:

http://uk.farnell.com/avx-interconnect/9155005003016/connector-battery-5-pos-2-3mm/dp/9728449

771089504-40.jpg

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

Posted · Using the Ultimaker3 CORE on an Ultimaker2
I'm still wondering if it's safe to use the heater and pt100 directly, and I won't damage the chip on the CORE? anybody any idea about this?

It's fine! Stop worrying. The NFC chip on the core will not even know it is connected to anything if you leave the middle of the 5 connectors unconnected.

• Like 1

Awesome work! How much larger is this compared to the factory 2+ head?  I assume the intent is to make an easier to swap nozzle that is better designed?

I'll try to keep as much of the build size as possible, for now it looks like I might loose a bit in X and gain a bit in Z.

My main intent is to be able to get the CORE quality in terms of usable temperature range to the UM2, but the easy swapping is ofc also nice. Be aware it comes with a cost, pricewise nothing beats changing a nozzle on an olsonblock.

• Like 1

Just ordered the connector at Amazon.de, as farnell doesn't seem to ship to the Netherlands.

>>manufacturer link;

http://www.avx.com/products/connectors/specialty/standard-2-5mm-pitch-battery-9155-000/

>>3D file; select the 5 connector type, and the 2.3mm contact height

http://www.avx.com/download/interconnect/avx-interconnect-models.php?link=http://www.3dcontentcentral.com/3DCONTENTCENTRAL/PremiumSSS-Download-Model.aspx?catalogId=10084%26name=00-9155-000

Edited by Guest

Awesome work! How much larger is this compared to the factory 2+ head?  I assume the intent is to make an easier to swap nozzle that is better designed?

I'll try to keep as much of the build size as possible, for now it looks like I might loose a bit in X and gain a bit in Z.

My main intent is to be able to get the CORE quality in terms of usable temperature range to the UM2, but the easy swapping is ofc also nice. Be aware it comes with a cost, pricewise nothing beats changing a nozzle on an olsonblock.

Any thoughts on implementing a flex drive with it?

No, I have no plans for that...

Just ordered the connector at Amazon.de

Thanks for the hint!

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Great idea, will follow this thread!

slow but steady progress, time to start printing again....

COREforUM2-v13.thumb.png.2e5a7bb345798412ddacb7aafc10cde8.png

COREforUM2base.thumb.png.80851f3bec0047651acd505d6429bd17.png

bearings will be pressfit, there's space for (a stack off) magnets to hold the top tube of the core firmly in place. I use 10*5*4 block magnets. I left some space at the right side to use a mini screwdriver to "unlock" the tube from the magnets.

The fan-mount design is borrowed from @labern as it's my favorite design.

COREforUM2-v13.thumb.png.2e5a7bb345798412ddacb7aafc10cde8.png

COREforUM2base.thumb.png.80851f3bec0047651acd505d6429bd17.png

Edited by Guest
    • Like 3

No metal to hold the core, just the magnets? The um3 uses a 60 degrees (aprox?) chamfer that makes a tight fit when each core is in use. I wonder if is part of the cooling calculations.

No metal to hold the core, just the magnets?

Yep, and a sort of tight fit in the plastic..... we'll see, just a first attempt... if I find the time we'll know more next weekend.

I wonder if is part of the cooling calculations

I wonder too, I'll place a temp sensor inside the setup when I do the first tests..

For future reference the connectors can be ordered from Mouser -

P/N: 581-009155005003016

Haven't heard of a place they don't ship to yet.

ordered those at ebay... damn long to wait until the parts arrive from far east.... :-(

will see what arrives first - connectors or core :-)

b.t.w.: does anybody know what is affected when changing an UMO from 19V to 24V supply ?

Of course the LM7812 has to be changed... but in terms of PID/Steppers/FW..?

successful proof of concept !! the first print is done...

COREH3.thumb.png.9230c55b60d6e2e8ea0febbea2292c3b.png

COREH1.thumb.png.8449070b063fafd1116decc5af5a277e.png

COREH0.thumb.png.d6d39157181e7243a53f36ddcc66f0f4.png

COREH3.thumb.png.9230c55b60d6e2e8ea0febbea2292c3b.png

COREH1.thumb.png.8449070b063fafd1116decc5af5a277e.png

COREH0.thumb.png.d6d39157181e7243a53f36ddcc66f0f4.png

• Like 12

Wow..... Way to go!!!

Great creation!

Torgeir.

Phantastic job! How is the print quality?

And what is this extremely cool Calimero version of the ultimaker :-)

Whow, great work!

Got my pin connectors last friday, still in progress of designing.

Aim: dual head for UMO @ 24V :-)

B.t.w. - as my core hasnt arrived yet, could you please assist with a short measurement? on which hight e.g. measured from the nozzle position is the connector mounted?

I can make it even easier... I'll upload the design files of the head... but it will have to wait till tomorrow.

EDIT; if you want to have a go at it and want to use my files for measurement just send me a PM, I'll wait a bit with publishing as its far from finished ;)

Edited by Guest

Update;

BadApe.thumb.png.b07a159984e000bfe161dfdd8728e789.png

The bad: print quality is poor

The good: I'm pretty sure how to solve it.

In the current design the CORE is fixed in 2 ways. The plastic is more or less fixed in the head, and the top shaft is fixed by magnets. This means there's too much play at the nozzle, as the real fixation is only at the top shaft. To solve it the metal part of the core needs to be fixed in the bottom plate of the head, just like it's solved in the ultimaker3.

COREbottomFIX.thumb.png.94abce13aa43d7c8122fdc01266cc0dc.png

It means it's a bit more complicated as a 7mm thick metal bottom plate is needed (or something like PEEK, but that's much more difficult to get)

Top3.thumb.png.4429c3d3e1c0c4b4a069b5c142e15cac.png

bottom3.thumb.png.4cd58fcb4b0116255e1a9f70f3be61ce.png

Stuff I plan to do;

- check how hot such a bottom plate will get (try a quick draft in aluminium) and check if it needs cooling, and/or try to measure the temperature of the plate in the Ultimaker3.

- option 1, simple CNC'ed aluminium plate (preferred)

- option 2, have it printed in metal if cooling ribs are needed.

BadApe.thumb.png.b07a159984e000bfe161dfdd8728e789.png

COREbottomFIX.thumb.png.94abce13aa43d7c8122fdc01266cc0dc.png

Top3.thumb.png.4429c3d3e1c0c4b4a069b5c142e15cac.png

bottom3.thumb.png.4cd58fcb4b0116255e1a9f70f3be61ce.png