Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Renalan

Cura is unusably slow.

I'm having trouble with Cura being unusably slow. I deleted both my appdata folders and reinstalled and the initial launch time before making it to the build screen was around 30 minutes. Every time I do anything to the program (hit a button, etc) it hangs for several minutes with the windows loading icon.

Log is below:

https://hastebin.com/owufuveqez.pas

It takes a mere 40 seconds to load on my iMac. (3.5GHz i7, 24GB, SSD)

Of course, that's three times longer than Photoshop, formerly the record-holder for slow loading software...

I can't imagine why they ever need to load all that unnecessary crap - that's just foolish programming. Perhaps they could consider loading only those printers that the user will actually use, in some future version?

(One can cut about 2/3 of the launch time by removing the dozens of never-to-be-used printer profiles from inside Cura. )

Edited by Guest

Initial launch after downloading Cura 2.7...after more than one minute it still hasn't popped up...

Second launch attempt...60 sec until Cura finished loading...don't thing this version is going to be used so much :(

When reporting things like this, it would be helpful to know more about your systems. OS, CPU, amount of RAM, SSD or harddisk? If it really took 30 minutes, something is really, really wrong somewhere (though I applaud your patience).

Using Win 8.1 Pro, i7-6700K (4 Ghz), NVidia Geforce GTX1080, 256GB SSD card and USB external drive with 32 GB Ram.

Cura has always opened on par with S3D, AI, Photoshop, AE, Premiere. 3DS MAX has always taken the longest to load on a fresh boot. After fresh start, reopening is faster, but still the slowest.

To be fair, I have not timed first click to open on any of them, but not noticeably awkward.

Ya, I have to agree, Cura loads VERY SLOW.  gotten slow with each version.  would be nice is we could cut away the fat we aren't using to load faster. 2.5 and up has gotten worse with each update.

Mac OSX 10.12.x Mac mini 2.4 dual.

Edited by Guest

SO, I just removed a MESS of stuff from the content folder (mac) as well as turned off a couple plug ins I'll never use.. deffinetly starts up faster.. not lightening fast or anything, but noticable.  More details after i play a bit and make sure I didn't screw anything up.

:p

Edited by Guest

We're looking into an elegant way of solving this. It's nice to have a large list of printers, but not everyone should be bothered by it because we have hundreds of obscure materials / machines.

The best idea we've come up with is to make a system that works a bit like the plugin browser, but then for materials / machines. That also adds the benefit that we can expand on that system, so people can discuss settings (It's then a bit more like a marketplace, but free)