How to Change Material 1 from PLA (Generic) to Unknown?

MaxMax

Posted (edited) · How to Change Material 1 from PLA (Generic) to Unknown?

I have about 1Kg PLA from the old 3D printer and I made a profile for it in Cura. But when I try to print over network I get "Change Material 1 from PLA (Generic) to Unknown."

Where do I change this? On UM3 there is no material option called "Unknown" in any of the menues.

As I understand it, the material profile is sent by Cura together with the print job, right?

EDIT:

If I instead save the print job to the USB flash drive and print from there, it doesn't complain at all?!?

Is there a bug in Network printing?

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · How to Change Material 1 from PLA (Generic) to Unknown?

There's no easy way (if any) to teach the UM3 your custom material. That's intended (AFAIK) and not a bug. The Cura Connect -Server uses this information to find a suitable printer for the print job. That's obviously not necessary, if you print from the USB-stick (that's why it does not complain in this case).

I know, that with Cura it's possible to create custom material profiles, but those are not very useful for the UM3 and the new firmware. Just choose generic PLA in Cura (but keep the current settings), if you want to send the job via network - and the printer is happy.

Edited by Guest

Posted · How to Change Material 1 from PLA (Generic) to Unknown?

There's no easy way (if any) to teach the UM3 your custom material. That's intended (AFAIK) and not a bug. The Cura Connect -Server uses this information to find a suitable printer for the print job. That's obviously not necessary, if you print from the USB-stick (that's why it does not complain in this case).

I know, that with Cura it's possible to create custom material profiles, but those are not very useful for the UM3 and the new firmware. Just choose generic PLA in Cura (but keep the current settings), if you want to send the job via network - and the printer is happy.

While I think it is a grand idea to automate the selection of available printers, it is a bit of a miss in the case of being able to slice one job and print in multiple colors. And, it really is a miss when you have a spool off the holder and in a dry box.

While I think it is a grand idea to automate the selection of available printers, it is a bit of a miss in the case of being able to slice one job and print in multiple colors.

Yeah, you may perceive it as a bit finicky, but actually there are possible significant differences between the correct settings for different colors - even from the same material...

And after all: it's only a warning that can be overridden, right?

But i agree: for users like you and me (with only one printer) it's a step back from the sight of convenience... although i understand the reasons why it is implemented this way nowadays.

Oh..., and i nearly forgot this:

As I understand it, the material profile is sent by Cura together with the print job, right?

I don't think so. Only the gcode is sent to the printer by Cura, nothing else. What's the source of this thought (did i missed something)?

I'm also running into issues with material selection with the latest version of Cura. Here is the scenario.

1) My printer runs in my garage and I connect to it via Wi-Fi.

2) I place my spool of Ultimaker Nylon Clear in an external dehydrator so NFC detection is not possible.

3) When I load the filament the Ultimaker understandably can not detect the filament and request that I select a filament. It only list the generic filament types so I select Nylon.

4) I set the material type in Cura to the proper Ultimaker Nylon Clear and attempt to print my object.

5) A warning appears due to the mismatch in the generic Nylon filament selection on the printer, and the proper Ultimaker filament I selected in Cura. It requires action on the printer so I need to physically go to the printer to confirm the override.

6) The feedback from my confirmation on the printer never seems to make it back to Cura so the print is still stuck in the queue.

7) In order to get it printing I have to disregard the error message in Cura Connect which then starts the print with the Generic Nylon instead of the desired Ultimaker Nylon Clear type.

I have not found a way to print with the proper Ultimaker Nylon selected when not using the NFC detection. It also happens with PLA, and ABS.

Anyone else encounter this or have a work around?

This is an issue of some debate, the short answer is don't, just change the profile of an existing material and hope this will get fixed in the future.

Previously Cura sent all the material profiles to your printer This was disabled by firmware because this could break firmware by setting the printing temperature to something unmanageable, after which people could no longer do an XY calibration print since that uses those temperatures, which by default works fine.

Anyway your new material now has a unique ID (UUID aka GUID) that the printer does not know.

If you set your printer to developer mode you could create a file for your material in /usr/share/fdm_materials/ (or possibly /var/lib/griffin/fdm_materials/ this is where the cura data previously ended up and would then not be erased by a firmware update, while the other location is removed on a firmware update) but note that only "generic" materials can be selected in the menu....

Have a look at the generic_pla.xml.fdm_material file as an example, find and put your GUID in there and change the name/type to match, rename the file and put it in one of those directories and let us know what works.

Having given 2 ways to work around this I hope the problem is not as extreme anymore.

• Like 1

Anyone else encounter this or have a work around?

your problem is different, just remove the circular paper/carboard that has the NFC tag and place that on the spool holder as proxy....

• Like 1

On 12/6/2017 at 2:38 PM, robinmdh said:

your problem is different, just remove the circular paper/carboard that has the NFC tag and place that on the spool holder as proxy....

nice one!

I am trying to load PLA Silver. Ultimaker is displaying PVA is not compatible with the AA 0.4 Printcore.

I continue, and Material Type appears. It said material not detected. I try to select material, but it changes back to displaying PVA is not compatible with the AA 0.4 Printcore, before I can select PLA. 

I've never had this problem with my S5.

What printer do you have?  Do you have a material station?

Do you also have PVA on the back of the printer?  If so try moving it away from the printer by a meter and try again - then coil it back up and back onto the printer when you are successful.

You were right on.  I took the PVA spool off, and now I can select the material. I have the Ultimaker 3. Yes, I have a material station. Thanks.

Now, I am getting a message:"Difference between detected height of both PrintCores exceeds realistic values. I tried active, and manually leveling of the table without any success. 

Watch it level.  The nozzle should touch the glass and touch it briefly.  The 2 things most likely to go wrong:

1) The nozzle never even reaches the glass

2) The nozzle touches the glass and keeps trying to push too long.

If #1 then the sensor isn't working.  Check wiring starting by opening the door and tugging very gently on the 2 wires.  The sensor is in the part of the head closest to the print bed.

If #2 then your bed springs are too tight or your core springs are too loose. Try loosening all 3 leveling screws a lot.  To the point where the springs are loose, then retighten enough that none of the springs are loose, plus another 3 full turns, then do manual leveling then auto leveling.