Ultimaker Cura 3.3 | Stable

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 3.3 | Stable
20 hours ago, XYZDesignPro said:

I don't have an account at Github to post to.  Perhaps someone on the forum with the Ultimaker team will see the conversation we have exchanged and jump in here. This is definitely a bug in this new release.  I think I still have 3.3 beta on my laptop.  I'm going to see if the same problem is in the beta.  I'll just continue to use 3.2.1 for now.

Thanks for you help just the same . . .

Hi @XYZDesignPro, I have put some time into this and come up with a PR (https://github.com/Ultimaker/CuraEngine/pull/757) that appears to solve the problem of the wobbly z-seam. I don't know if/when it will be incorporated into Cura. I can't really see why 3.3.1 should behave differently from 3.2.1 in this regard as the code I have modified hasn't been altered for some time.

• Thanks 1

WOW !!  You're the man.  I don't know how it is that you have such an intimate understanding of what's "under the hood" in Cura, but as a user that depends on it "just working" I can't tank you enough.  ??

Hopefully your PR will see an early implementation.  I'm really looking forward to using the Support Blocker, but this z-seam problem has prevented me from moving on to 3.3.1.  BTW, the 3.3.0 beta does indeed have the same problem.  I checked it on my laptop.  Still using 3.2.1 for now.

Thanks again . . .

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:55 AM, boylerman said:

Program crashes as soon as changelog is displayed.  Tried removing app, deleting the 3.3 folder in the Roaming directory and reinstalling 3.3.1 but it doesn't solve the problem.

Running on Surface Pro 5 (Windows 10).  Version 3.2.1 runs fine.

Any suggestions?

Wanted to post a resolution for this issue in case anyone else is experiencing it.  I reviewed the log file and discovered that the crash was caused by an error with a specific printer which was automatically migrated from 3.2.1.  After I manually deleted the files associated with that printer, the program ran and I was able to add the printer manually. Problem solved.

Thank You Elle, have been away my apologies. Ok I had removed all of Cura I could find on my C Windows 10 Lenovo. Went online and reinstalled Ultimaker Cura-3.2.0-win64. It ran and gave me the same error " Cura error freeze in Python". Went to Appdata\Roaming\cura. and there is no folder. I find this folder C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 3.2 and request guidance on how to proceed.

RJ

On 5/1/2018 at 10:04 AM, smartavionics said:

Well, I think there has been a change in Cura that simplifies models and it's being a bit over-zealous. There is an experimental setting called Max Resolution and this has an influence. The min value of that will be 0.001 mm I should think because Cura internally works in micro-metres. I exported the model from the .3mf and displayed it in freecad and it appears to have sufficient resolution.

Screenshot_2018-05-01_18-01-15.thumb.png.2b2c321380bc51f2fb46bafc17e5d15a.png

Sorry, I don't have an answer, I recommend that you open an issue over at https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura

smartavionics  I tried the Experimental setting Max Resolution as suggested above.  While not a perfect solution, when set to .005 the z-scar wobble is significantly improved.  Thanks for the tip and your excellent help and advice.

I had problems with spongy prints while I was using Cura 3.2.0 and while trying to resolve the issue I upgraded to Cura 3.3.1. The spongy prints was due to a blocked nozzle and when I replaced that my prints had a gap between rows of filament but not thin like before. There was certainly enough filament being extruded. I use an Anet A6 and the next thing I did was upgrade the extruder to an E3D. Again it is extruding a good flow of filament but the gap between lines in the solid base is still there. The only thing common to these is the Cura upgrade. Is there a setting for this in 3.3 or should I revert back to 3.2?

I had no problems upgrading to 3.3, my printer and all my previous custom settings were still there.

On 5/1/2018 at 8:07 PM, XYZDesignPro said:

I don't have an account at Github to post to.  Perhaps someone on the forum with the Ultimaker team will see the conversation we have exchanged and jump in here. This is definitely a bug in this new release.  I think I still have 3.3 beta on my laptop.  I'm going to see if the same problem is in the beta.  I'll just continue to use 3.2.1 for now.

Thanks for you help just the same . . .

We investigated this issue and it was indeed the maximum resolution setting. To make it work please change the 'Maximum Resolution' to 0.01 and than it will work. We use the default of 0.04 which helps on less powerfull hardware and is prevents buffer underruns on the printer.

On 5/2/2018 at 2:56 PM, V3DPrinting said:

Hi

Since I've upgraded to 3.3.1 on my Mac, I no longer have access to network drives when saving a project.

Is that normal ?

Best

David

Up !!!!

It is an annoying regression from 3.2.1.

I’m running under High Sierra.

Thanks for your feedback

48 minutes ago, Msuurmond said:

We investigated this issue and it was indeed the maximum resolution setting. To make it work please change the 'Maximum Resolution' to 0.01 and than it will work. We use the default of 0.04 which helps on less powerfull hardware and is prevents buffer underruns on the printer.

Thanks for the feedback.  I have been playing with the Max Resolution setting, and sometimes it depends on the shape of the part.  Sometimes .01 (apparently the default in 3.2.1) works best, but other times, in 3.3.1, I have gone as far as .005 to get the desired results.

Whar's the down side to setting it to .005?

1 minute ago, XYZDesignPro said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I have been playing with the Max Resolution setting, and sometimes it depends on the shape of the part.  Sometimes .01 (apparently the default in 3.2.1) works best, but other times, in 3.3.1, I have gone as far as .005 to get the desired results.

Whar's the down side to setting it to .005?

That Cura has to work harder to show (render) the model and gets more laggy and that you might have tiny lines of GCode that might cause buffer-underruns in you printer. This might be the case when the line of GCode can be executed faster than a new line can be put into to buffer.

I have a pretty powerful machine ( i7, 3.4ghz, 16 GB Ram 1TB SSD ) and have not experienced any significant lag in terms of Cura performance.  So I may not see any negative results until I actually print the part.  In which case I may see artifacts in the outer shell?

19 hours ago, lesterb said:

I had problems with spongy prints while I was using Cura 3.2.0 and while trying to resolve the issue I upgraded to Cura 3.3.1. The spongy prints was due to a blocked nozzle and when I replaced that my prints had a gap between rows of filament but not thin like before. There was certainly enough filament being extruded. I use an Anet A6 and the next thing I did was upgrade the extruder to an E3D. Again it is extruding a good flow of filament but the gap between lines in the solid base is still there. The only thing common to these is the Cura upgrade. Is there a setting for this in 3.3 or should I revert back to 3.2?

I had no problems upgrading to 3.3, my printer and all my previous custom settings were still there.

I reverted back to 3.2.0 but I still had the problem so it is not a problem in 3.3 and I've reinstalled 3.3.1.

Well, if it helps, I just installed 3.3.1 on my Mac (OS 10.13.4), installed the new Octoprint plugin and all is working fine.  I left the 3.2.1 install and  3.2.2 on my machine as fall backs.

But,

Occasionally I still get the "hashed" fonts in at least one of the custom setup windows.  It didn't happen the second time, so I don't know which window caused it.

So, where it counts, 3.3.1 is working fine so far on my Mac, and with Octoprint.

Thanks,

DLC

Hi @ all, I hope that I am right here,  when I start cura 3.3.1 at the first time it runs very well, but when I close it and start it again, it will crashed. Sorry for my bad english, but I hope when you see the files you can help me!!

Best regards and thanks a lot Fames

cura.log

stdout.log

stderr.log

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 3.3 | Stable

There was one faster.

?

Edited by zerspaner_gerd

On 4/24/2018 at 4:07 PM, SandervG said:

Ultimaker Cura 3.3 is available from today! 

Following the news from yesterday, a large part of the news relates back to the Ultimaker S5.

Among others Cura can now also create a UFP.

UFP (Ultimaker format package) is a new file extension that contains compressed gcode and a preview thumbnail. Using this extension enables a model preview (similar to the solid view in Ultimaker Cura) on the Ultimaker S5 touchscreen and in Cura Connect.

Since we also introduced a new material, 'Tough PLA' yesterday, the material profile can now also be found in the latest Cura version. 

Tough PLA prints as easy as regular PLA, except it is as strong as ABS. Which means if you are looking for strong prints it is definitely a material worth exploring. The prints with the same temperatures as PLA, which implies it is equally heat resistant.

Besides aligning Cura with the recent expansion of our product range, we have also added some new features. 

Ultimaker Cura is now equipped with a 3D model assistant. The 3D model assistant triggers when you want to slice with ABS, PC, PP or CPE+ and can give you tips on how to potentially improve the quality and reliability of your 3D print. 

3D-model-assistant-Cura.thumb.jpg.addab9373177954420689f627d1f38ad.jpg

- More good news is that you can now also easily do single extrusion prints, when your model allows it.

Using single extrusion mode also makes the ‘print one at a time’ feature available for the Ultimaker 3 and Ultimaker S5. You can easily disable it by right clicking on extruder 2 and enable/disable it from there. 

- The prime tower has now been made round instead of square, which should result in a smoother toolpath and a sturdier prime tower. 

- Support blocker also made it into the stable version. @ahoeben , thanks again! You can now generate a cube mesh to prevent support material to be used in certain areas within a model. Each cube can be scaled, rotated, and moved with the standard adjustment tools in the left side of your screen. 

- Bridging. Many thanks to @smartavionics . It is still a fairly new feature, but it allows Cura to check for bridges and opens up more configurations to tweak for better briding. 

Finally; three new plugins have been added; Scalable extra prime, Print temperature offset, and Enclosure fan.

I've mentioned some already, but I want to thank everyone for there help in realizing Ultimaker Cura 3.3. We couldn't do it without you! 

I'm talking about @ahoeben , @smartavionics , @thopiekar , Pheneeny, krios-fabteam, dagoma3d, uBuild-3D, maukcc, timur-tabi, pouncingiguana, velbn, and Gordo3di. 

Can't wait?

Download Ultimaker Cura 3.3 here! Not entirely convinced yet?

You can read more about these features and more on our blog!

Looking forward hearing from you, and make sure to share your feedback with us. That is the only way we can continue improving on this wonderful slicer! 

Hi

3.3.1 is working well for me as I uninstalled 3.2 first before installing the latest version.If the printer is not switched on and connected to the PC it will not give the true printing model when one simulation the job before printing.So the settings take a lot longer.

Has anyone else all experienced this.

Thanks

KennethKenneth.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 3.3 | Stable

Could you please look at the logfile, would be very grateful!

On 5/14/2018 at 2:59 PM, Fames said:

Hi @ all, I hope that I am right here,  when I start cura 3.3.1 at the first time it runs very well, but when I close it and start it again, it will crashed. Sorry for my bad english, but I hope when you see the files you can help me!!

Best regards and thanks a lot Fames

cura.log

stdout.log

stderr.log

Cause cause for Cura crash?

@Msuurmond?

Edited by zerspaner_gerd

I don't see anything weird in the log file. It stops after initializing the shaders so maybe see if there is an update for your videocard drivers. We hope to start Cura 3.4 Beta in a week or 2.

fyi; I have just added a video to the first message of this thread where we go a little bit more in-depth regarding certain features of Ultimaker Cura 3.3. Hopefully, it will help with using Cura. Next time, we aim to share it upon launch ?

• Like 1

Question about the Enclosure Fan plugin mode mentioned: when this is installed and enabled, how do you trigger an external fan electrically? I have a relay that expects a 12V signal in order to turn on power to my fan. Where do I hook this up?

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that the new Ultimaker Cura 3.4 | Beta just became available ?
    Follow this link if you are interested ?

• Thanks 1