Ultimaker Cura 4.12

fvrmr

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.12

Hi everyone,

Ultimaker Cura 4.12 is here!

We have improved our Ultimaker print profiles together with our material engineers, this will increase first-time-right results.

Here's how:
We’ve tweaked the Monotonic setting and made adjustments throughout print profiles. This removes occasional scarring on models and improves top surface quality by default. 

monotonic.thumb.png.72498e5c22246c69507fdf497f56f6be.png
We have also looked at horizontal print quality, processing several improvements. This results a reduction of ringing, improving resolution and overall print quality.   

0.thumb.png.4442ba22d7b60d681fb32f3fb8dcf8b7.png

Lightning infill
We have a new infill type called Lightning!

lightning.gif.19b7366f30809972b53f37bd88a04248.gif

This infill setting enables you to print high-quality top layers while using less material and increasing your production speed. It’s an ideal setting for visual models, as reduced material usage will result in a reduction part strength.

Lightning infill was a research project inside Ultimaker and is based on this paperThanks to rburema and BagelOrb!

App switcher:
The new app switcher provides a simpler way to navigate and use other Ultimaker applications, including Ultimaker Digital Factory, Ultimaker Marketplace, and Ultimaker 3D Printing Academy. Reporting bugs to Github is now just one click away, and it’s easier to find the application you need.

Bug fixes:

-        Fixed a bug with monotonic ironing that causes fan speed jump to 255 for ironing pass

-        Fixed an engine crash when using monotonic ordering with zigzag skin pattern

-        Fixed inconsistent material name in the header and material selection dropdown

-        Fixed a bug where a random zero was added in the g-code

For more information read our blog post, the full release notes or watch our video!

Download 4.12 now!!

And don’t forget to give us your feedback here in the comments or on Github.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, fvrmr said:

Reporting bugs to Github is now just one click away, and it’s easier to find the application you need

Two, actually; One to open the popup, one to push the appropriate button.

• Like 3

Out of curiosity: How can a (any) slicer improve the horizontal print quality in the example? going slower around the corner? exclusively printing cw/ccw?

Is there more technical information about this? Thanks!

14 hours ago, Juenger said:

Out of curiosity: How can a (any) slicer improve the horizontal print quality in the example? going slower around the corner? exclusively printing cw/ccw?

Is there more technical information about this? Thanks!

Tuning of the profiles! We've increased the jerk a bit so that it has less vibrations in the rest of the print. We are working on more improvements like this, so expect a lot better print quality for Ultimaker printers with the next few updates of Cura. I'm pretty excited about these changes, as it shows that combining the full process makes it possible to get the best end results.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 4.12

Interesting, thanks. I've noticed that jerk in walls is increased with M205 from 10 to 20.  This seems counter intuitive (to me). My understanding was that higher acceleration / jerk would result in even higher forces and thus more vibrations. Could you explain this? 

thanks for any more information on this.

Code_WB96Io7Ge4.png

Edited by Juenger

11 hours ago, Juenger said:

Interesting, thanks. I've noticed that jerk in walls is increased with M205 from 10 to 20.  This seems counter intuitive (to me). My understanding was that higher acceleration / jerk would result in even higher forces and thus more vibrations. Could you explain this? 

thanks for any more information on this.

Code_WB96Io7Ge4.png

I'm by no means a mechanical engineer (or a process engineer), so I'm not the best person to explain the nuances of this change.

I was told that it has to do with the natural frequency. Certain types of vibrations / speeds / changes simply cause more issues. In those cases it's perhaps a bit counter intuitive, but it's better to then move faster (even though that would normally decrease the quality)

Whatever you did, jerky or jiggly or whatever... LOL. I LOVE the new surface. It absolutely does look better. Part of me wants to throw some curse words at you while I toast you with a beer. I am going to have to reprint a whole bunch of stuff that I want to look pretty. I really hate sanding so reprinting is now it.  So thanks a lot (both sincerely and a sarcastically in a good way)!

Edited by kayakbabe

Issues I have:

1. "Support Placement" is missing from Per Model Settings. This is bad.

2. Colour scheme for preview is awful and confusing. One colour was enough for me to figure what was happening but I cannot tune this version to that.
    3. Icons for settings have changed. Why? Nothing was wrong with the old ones so this unnecessarily confuses things. Sure I'll learn them in a few weeks, but why do I have to, what is the improvement?

Edited by SilverDynamic

6 hours ago, SilverDynamic said:

Colour scheme for preview is awful and confusing. One colour was enough for me to figure what was happening but I cannot tune this version to that.

What exactly do you mean here? The choices for colour schemes in layer view have been basically the same for ages. Cura 4.12 on the left and 15.04.6 which came out about 5 years ago and they look very comparable.layers.thumb.PNG.e6d5728cce238308718e6b06c11aca0c.PNGs.

20 hours ago, SilverDynamic said:

Colour scheme for preview is awful and confusing.

What was changed is the default setting of the color scheme. The color scheme now defaults to showing the types of lines, whereas in previous versions it was set to show one color per material by default. But you can change it back with the "color scheme" option in the top bar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ahoeben said:

What was changed is the default setting of the color scheme. The color scheme now defaults to showing the types of lines, whereas in previous versions it was set to show one color per material by default. But you can change it back with the "color scheme" option in the top bar.

Thanks for the constructive reply 😄

I did look for an option to change but totally failed to find it! I upgraded from 4.8 ish and in all the previous 4 yrs of using  cura have never seen this multicolour version of preview as a default!

See this post:

The "Line type" scheme was made the default up in Cura 4.9. Up until Cura 2.5, there was no other scheme than linetype, but between Cura 2.5 and 4.8 the material color was the default and line type was an option.

Line type is a more informative scheme; of something is going wrong it often helps what parts of a layer is printed as what sort of line.

nice update!
    but...  this versions "arrange" function doesnt work anymore.

objects just stay were they were. 

• Like 1

I guess I am missing something obvious here, just upgraded from 4.7 and voids are being filled in?

Untitled1.png

Untitled2.png

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, yzorg said:

nice update!
    but...  this versions "arrange" function doesnt work anymore.

objects just stay were they were. 

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/10249

@andymharrison - Use the visibility dropdown tool (next to the settings search box) and then go to the Mesh Fixes section.  The only thing you might want checked in there is "union overlapping volumes".

Sometimes "remove all holes" gets checked and sometimes "make overhangs printable" gets checked somehow.  Those are specialty settings that are for very specific situations that rarely come up.

Looks like Ultimaker has made a BIG mistake with version 4.10, 11 and 12.  NONE of these versions work with the AMD processors.  I have proven this by installing ver 4.11 on my old HP Intel notebook.  But my AMD Ryzen 5 3600 crashes the newer versions when trying to load a file.

This means anyone with AMD processers need to move to Prusa Slicers.  

Looks like these versions were not tested on the AMD processors.

9 hours ago, ozhawk said:

Looks like Ultimaker has made a BIG mistake with version 4.10, 11 and 12.  NONE of these versions work with the AMD processors.

Hmm, seems to work fine for me, both on my first gen Ryzen desktop and my latest gen Ryzen laptop. Maybe uploading the logs can give the devs an idea on what's causing Cura to crash for you.cura_ryzen.thumb.png.d8c7b58275cffabcd5eaa46694e50f83.png

I just installed 4.12 and one issue I have is when I send a print to the printer, it displays a warning that for 'best results use Cura 4.4 or greater and I have to manually clear the warning before it will start preparing to print.

On 11/22/2021 at 3:53 AM, ozhawk said:

Looks like Ultimaker has made a BIG mistake with version 4.10, 11 and 12.  NONE of these versions work with the AMD processors.

They are tested on AMD processors.

I have proven this by installing ver 4.11 on my old HP Intel notebook. 

You have proven that it fails for a specific set of hardware 😉

But my AMD Ryzen 5 3600 crashes the newer versions when trying to load a file.

Ah, there you have it. Ryzen has made a lot of mistakes with their drivers. Cura isn't the only application hit by this issue. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about this, as it's caused by an issue in drivers provided by AMD. You can find more information (and a work around) here: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/5265

14 hours ago, jsw said:

I just installed 4.12 and one issue I have is when I send a print to the printer, it displays a warning that for 'best results use Cura 4.4 or greater and I have to manually clear the warning before it will start preparing to print.

You need to upgrade your firmware.

22 hours ago, IRobertI said:

Hmm, seems to work fine for me, both on my first gen Ryzen desktop and my latest gen Ryzen laptop. Maybe uploading the logs can give the devs an idea on what's causing Cura to crash for you.cura_ryzen.thumb.png.d8c7b58275cffabcd5eaa46694e50f83.png

That won't matter. It's a specific ryzen issue. Nothing that Cura does should be able to crash the entire machine. There are also other applications (games mostly) that suffer from the same issue. The GH link I posted has some workarounds for this issue.

1 hour ago, nallath said:

You need to upgrade your firmware.

Is that safe to do now?  I recall a previous thread where at least one user 'bricked' the machine attempting to do this.

Thanks for your work.

On my one model, I found multiple carriage movements when filling the first layer, wasn't it easier to fill in thin areas with less carriage movement?

Screenshot 2021-11-23 at 15.52.24.png

Here's another thing with the new Cura (4.12.1).

This print ended up with quite a few artifacts in the form of little 1/8 inch or so 'streamers' growing out of some pieces of the model, most centered around one particular diagonal piece.

It's nothing that can't be diked off and sanded, but it's definitely something unexpected.

This is with the new Cura with default settings for generic PLA.  Rather than futz around trying things, does anyone have any specific reasons why this occurred?

Is this maybe the way the new Cura handles things like retraction and/or combing?  Maybe something related to the way it's supposed to produce better surfaces?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

mloop1.jpg