Post your latest print!

IRobertI

Posted · Post your latest print!
same problem here Ian. I've now given up using UM for prints at work and taken a more reliable route.

it's a shame, but the UM isn't robust or reliable enough to be used this way - you can get a great print one day, and an awful one the next.

mmmm, after today we will see what my boss says.

on the smaller models, the ultimaker is enough but any arch models 1:200 scale. the quality and reliabilty of the ultimaker, needs some improvements sadly.

I have the same problem, i can print 7 hours today without problem, and then the next day, only dirt.... and then after two days of work, the boss asks, and why have i not done more...... girrr :-(

pity but i will keep trying..........

Ian :D

is there any one else getting killed in the process of using a ultimaker for architect models ??
    Nope, but I have had a boss who expected perfection every single time around, payed too little, and expected unpaided overtime.

I left without warning.

Got photos to share so we can judge your prints?

i have to ask my boss tomorrow if im allowed.

i know he was not too happy with one model from the ultimaker, so i dont really want to shock him by splashing photos here on a unfinished design competition here in germany... dont think he would like that ??

best wishes.

haha no that is not me!

Although i am quite familiar with that expression ;)

What happens when the print is not successful?

is there a photo section on the ultimaker site, showing the staff ?

about my project, well if it does not work... i guess i loose my job.....

Ian :)

Let's hope that is not the case!

But what i meant was, what happens when a print fails?

Is the filament grinding or.. etc?

No we do not have a photo section, perhaps we could make a bust from the employees.

Who needs a 2D photo, pf!

Let's hope that is not the case!

But what i meant was, what happens when a print fails?

Is the filament grinding or.. etc?

No we do not have a photo section, perhaps we could make a bust from the employees.

Who needs a 2D photo, pf!

the problem for both our ultimakers is now the same. leave the printers running for 30 minutes, some times 3 hours and then come back and the models are fine half way up and then like fluppy clouds in the air.

it seems that when the diameter of the filament changes, it puts more pressure in the feeder against the knurled metal gear, that bites deep into the filament and then stops working....

this now happens very often with both printers..... :-(

about the 3d model gallery of the ultimaker team ! cool idea Sander ! !

have a great day and best wishes to the ulti team from Leipzig !

my news creation and a little contribution to the community... i hope :-)

i was really scared at the bad quality of the two gears i found on thingiverse. so i made a fresh clean new one for every one to enjoy.

best wishes.

IAN :D

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:29260

Ultimaker Extruder Gear Replacement IAN

ian_improved_wheel_display_medium.jpg

and now in action. :D

ultimaker_wheel_ian_display_medium.jpg

PS !! admin please correct this stupid mistake that users cant upload images to posts !!

we are trying to win people over to this forum, not push them away !

Hi Ian,

Cool gear!

What you said earlier about the failed prints sound like a filament related issue.

I know It shouldn't be necessary, but you could for example drill a 3mm hole in a piece of wood or something, and feed the filament through. Then you know if it is capable of going through the bowden tube.

It is not a mistake that users can not upload images.

We feel like it is very easy to register as a member so it shouldn't

be to much of an afford to register and be member of this awesome community, is it? :)

Hi Ian,

Cool gear!

What you said earlier about the failed prints sound like a filament related issue.

I know It shouldn't be necessary, but you could for example drill a 3mm hole in a piece of wood or something, and feed the filament through. Then you know if it is capable of going through the bowden tube.

It is not a mistake that users can not upload images.

We feel like it is very easy to register as a member so it shouldn't

be to much of an afford to register and be member of this awesome community, is it? :)

Sander ??? i have no idea what your talking about my friend ?

I am a member and I am registered ! but I cannot attach a photo !

how does that work ?

every time i want to share a photo of my newest creation, I have to go to some stupid photobucket site, login, upload, save and then copy and past the photo link to this forum.... ahhhh ! no fun :-(

if you can go to the admin settings of the forum and up the attachment size level to some thing like 1GB, then registered users can easily use the forum and keep enjoying it.

please dont give people on the stupid google groups more chances to say, this forum sucks....

on another note, thanks a million for the 3mm whole tip, will try that one today when im home !

the same problem happened again last night, every thing perfect, 1 hour into a 5 hour print project and bang, no filament and the extruder gear cut a lovely big whole into the filament, so no chance of movement..... girrrrrrrrr

best wishes.

whoops sorry, my bad. I misunderstood. I'll look into it :)

It does seem that there is a global max of attachments and that number has been reached.

Trying to attach a file of any kind gives an error.

7890578110_628c572224_n.jpg

Experimenting with merging gcode from several slicings.

In this case the base printed and then the two pillars were printed one after the other, entirely completing one pillar before moving to the other.

End result is no stringing, and also no retraction which means I get a more consistent rate of flow.

Would be nice if there was a facility in the slicers to do this - although I'm putting in my own code each time to safely move from one part to another and arrive in a 'non-visible' location if possible, so any blobs left by bringing the flow up to speed again are hidden.

i had to build a display box for our new 3d printed project model and thought that playing around with glues between sheets of 5mm perspex was not the cleanest and best idea.

so of course, drum roll..... i worked up a little design, printed it off 12 times in transparent PLA and poof, job done...

:D:D

and the finished product.

i think this turned out really cool :-)

fresh out of the printer.

so now all i have to do is find the other components... the search begins....

Ultimaker Extruder Drive Upgrade - Bertho

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:26094

7890578110_628c572224_n.jpg

Experimenting with merging gcode from several slicings.

In this case the base printed and then the two pillars were printed one after the other, entirely completing one pillar before moving to the other.

End result is no stringing, and also no retraction which means I get a more consistent rate of flow.

Would be nice if there was a facility in the slicers to do this - although I'm putting in my own code each time to safely move from one part to another and arrive in a 'non-visible' location if possible, so any blobs left by bringing the flow up to speed again are hidden.

thats a really cool idea, that the printer will done one high point first completyl, then move over to the next one, bring up the bed and start part two of the construction.

i like the idea ! we just have to wait for the good and holy program people, to make it happen... :-)

Ian

The "tower" setting of Skeinforge does this. But, as always, the problem is in the details.

The main problem is, you have to ensure that your printer head does not hit the other printer part. And we don't only have the nozzle, we also have the fan shroud and 4 bolts there. You also have to make sure, that when moving from printed "tower" to the next part, you don't bump into other printed parts.

It would be quite difficult to get right, and as you can expect, SF doesn't get it right. It works in the simple case of 2 towers, but when you go to 3 towers you already could get into trouble.

given that retraction is now a solved problem.. what's the perceived advantage of towers?

nice print Ian - suggest you order the bearing because it's the hardest part to substitute. it really has to be the size Bertho specified.

get the stiffest spring you can lay your hands on - if you can compress it with your fingers, it's not manly enough for the job.

where can i put my hands on the right springs ?

where did you get yours ?

thanks.

IAN :D

I dug around in my box of bits until I found one strong enough. Bertho gives some info on the right spring on his webpage.

I'd go to the local hardware store and pick a spring wide enough to go on the screw, about an inch long, and stiff enough that trying to compress it with two fingers is painful.

but we're drifting off topic a bit here ;) check Bertho's original thread and post there..

thanks for the tips ! :D:D

here is a little guy i tried to print just now for fun.

every thing went really well until the printer got to the head and then, seems like there wasnt enough filament ???

so the head is now not... water proof :lol:

pity.......

Yes - I've been editing the gcode myself to make sure that, for more complex objects, the head doesn't collide with what's already printed.

Obviously it requires some thought as to the orientation of the piece on the platform, and to which bits get printed first.

A tool which allowed you to carve up a design, based on when layers required travel outside the model, would perhaps be an aid in doing this.