It is here, the new Ultimaker S5!

SandervG

Posted · It is here, the new Ultimaker S5!

This morning we successfully launched the Ultimaker S5 at the Hannover Messe. It was quite a big turnout from the press and it has been the center of attention throughout the whole day, and probably the rest of the week. (I'll share some photo's later!)

If you are in the area of Hannover, Germany make sure to stop by. 

The Ultimaker S5 is our biggest 3D printer as of yet. It offers a grande 330 x 240 x 300 mm (13 x 9.4 x 11.8 inches), comes with a new touchscreen and has similar connectivity as you know from the Ultimaker 3 so you can fit it perfectly with Cura Connect. And now the build volume has increased, we felt it necessary to introduce a new buildplate to improve the adhesion of some of the engineering materials when you want to use all of that new space. So with the Ultimaker S5 there will also be an anodized aluminum buildplate for this reason. 

The S in Ultimaker S5 stands for Studio, which means we have designed and built this 3D printer to be the perfect fit for any office/studio. It is quieter compared to previous generations, has front doors to protect it from draft and cold air and similar print cores as on the Ultimaker 3, cause they just work like a charm :)

The Ultimaker S5 is also labeled as future ready, which means you should expect both software, material and hardware 'accessories' in the future.

Besides all this, the Ultimaker S5 has a flow sensor too. Which helps you when you are about to run out of filament. When you are connected to Cura Connect you can receive notifications when your print is finished or when it needs assistance. Which should give you all the peace of mind to focus on your other tasks and let your Ultimaker quietly do its magic in the background. 

Let us know if you have any questions for us! We're happy to help. 

And keep an eye on us, because more news is to follow! (Maybe as soon as tomorrow? :O) 

Hiya, 

looks good so far.  

Just wondering where the extra £2000 is in comparison to the UM3 is.  (genuine question)

Would like to know more about the machine before I can say it's worth the extra.  bigger build plate is certainly a welcome feature as are the doors,  kinda wondering why there isn't a top with it. 

Is the active leveling the same as the UM3 three point? 

The spec sheet lists the build plate as glass, does that mean the anodized version will be an upgrade?

look forward to more details 

Looks good though 

Rebekah Anderson

Posted (edited) · It is here, the new Ultimaker S5!
    6 hours ago, ahoeben said:

What altitude did it reach?

We didn't get a real launch this time :( Sigh...

6 hours ago, rebekah_harper said:

Just wondering where the extra £2000 is in comparison to the UM3 is.  (genuine question)

Would like to know more about the machine before I can say it's worth the extra.  bigger build plate is certainly a welcome feature as are the doors,  kinda wondering why there isn't a top with it. 

Multiple things really. First off, the bed is way bigger. That does little for the price, but it does mean that we needed a way better power supply (+-200 watt to 500+ ish). As the brick we shipped with the UM2/3 was already the biggest we could find, and we were pushing that one to its limit. So the only way to solve that was to integrate the power supply, which in turn means a ton of extra development (Making the supply, getting it approved for CE & FCC, you name it). 

We also needed to really beef up the rods / bearings that we use for the carriage system. There is also a bit more actual casing material (but I doubt that will do that much). 
    The flow sensors, screen, and improved stepper drivers also add to the price. 

So all in all, it's not that weird of a price increase. It's not like we just made it bigger and started asking a way higher margin. 

6 hours ago, rebekah_harper said:

Is the active leveling the same as the UM3 three point? 

Nope. It uses (max) 40 points to level. It does take longer (duh), but it also grealy improves first layer adhesion.

Edited by nallath
    • Like 2

Thanks for the reply.

Didn’t get that from the sales pitch so was wondering where the improvement were.  The build area is a much welcomed addition and understood that.  I am also glad to see the change in build plate to an anodised one. Don’t know how that will look in relation to the prints but sounds like it’s following the zortrax style.

i always felt the UM3 auto levelling came up short with 3 points and am happy to hear it’s a lot more. Don’t mind the extra time as I want the best prints. 

Didnt consider the the power demand on larger heated build area and love the idea of intergrated power supply.

I look forward to some videos of it operating with the new build plate. 

I am keen to to make it my third printer. Allows me to keep my UM2+ with 0.15mm nozzle as it’s perfect at the moment.

many thank

Rebekah Anderson

Will some of these new features be added to the UM3 to make a UM3+? and hopefully a UM3+ upgrade for us current UM3 owners?

Will current firmware be updated to get more leveling points in auto calibration?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pdrinkut said:

Will some of these new features be added to the UM3 to make a UM3+? and hopefully a UM3+ upgrade for us current UM3 owners?

Will current firmware be updated to get more leveling points in auto calibration?

I would be really interested to know about this as well I have had my um3 for just under a year and loved it but it would be nice to have some upgrades;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ultiarjan said:

Took the bed files from Cura 3.3, to visualize the size difference of the 3 and the 5

3vs5.thumb.png.cb589a6fbc31b11dfd821e8c76efa9a2.png

S5.thumb.png.6be29d2517c81859e60c065f24a1e254.png

The actual difference is even bigger since they left room for the switch mechanism to not occupy print area

• Like 3

On 4/24/2018 at 7:59 PM, neotko said:

The actual difference is even bigger since they left room for the switch mechanism to not occupy print area 

Even bigger than that: on the UM3 there is build plate area where the left print head can't reach the most right locations and equally the right print head can't reach the locations on the far left, both for about 18mm (the distance between the two print cores). On the S5 extra space was added to both the left and right sides of the build plate and now the full build plate area can be reached by both print cores.

The only remaining limitations are the retention clips which are considered in the advertised volume (advertised as 330 x 240mm where the actual build plate is larger).

7 minutes ago, CarloK said:

Even bigger than that: on the UM3 there is build plate area where the left print head can't reach the most right locations and equally the right print head can't reach the locations on the far left, both for about 18mm (the distance between the two print cores). On the S5 extra space was added to both the left and right sides of the build plate and now the full build plate area can be reached by both print cores.

The only remaining limitations are the retention clips which are considered in the advertised volume (advertised as 330 x 240mm where the actual build plate is larger).

Well, real, actually (real life) print area is smaller since you need to consider purge (start) and prime (if dual) and a brim/skirt (useful since the purged material can be dragged by the nozzle (and it’s better that is dragged to the skirt/brim than the real print area.

so.. Less, much less 🙂

1 hour ago, neotko said:

so.. Less, much less 🙂

If you disable the prime blobs and put a single skirt line around your rectangle, you might loose 4mm in each direction (assuming a 0.8mm nozzle and two skirt lines; one for each extruder and a little bit of space between skirt and print). I would not call that much less.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

If you disable the prime blobs and put a single skirt line around your rectangle, you might loose 4mm in each direction (assuming a 0.8mm nozzle and two skirt lines; one for each extruder and a little bit of space between skirt and print). I would not call that much less.

So you can remove the initial purge, that’s nice. My comment was focused on the real day-to-day prints on dual color where you need a prime tower + skirt. Ofc there’s area around the towers that can be used, but not for squareshape print arra

That's what halted my purchase for the UM3...the build volume.  An amazing machine, I thoroughly enjoyed having some here on loan (for a show) but I needed more room for my projects.  The S5 looks amazing but I just can't come up with that sort of money for one right now.  I've had to resort to the FT-6 and upgrading some Chinese printers to make those things (2 CR-10S, Tevo Tornado, etc)

Very interesting thread indeed ! I am about to buy my third UM printer (I have a 2+ and a 3) and I am wondering when you are going to announce your next release ? For instance I guess you could upgrade the UM3 with the S5 principles ? 

Thanks a lot.

6 hours ago, thewarlab said:

when you are going to announce your next release

I assume you don't mean that question too serious, do you?

Technically, if someone would answer such a question with a date it would be wrong by the same moment as giving a date for an announcement would be a de-facto announcement. 😉

If you ask this because you don't want to check every day, keep in mind how Ultimaker announced their new stuff in the past. Usually it was presented on a larger trade show or some time in advance of such a show. But be aware that not for every trade show Ultimaker participates they announce something new.

So if you still don't know if and when Ultimaker announce a new product, then I succeeded. 😄

• Thanks 1