Ultimaker Cura 4.7 is available!

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.7 is available!

Today we celebrate the launch of Ultimaker Cura 4.7 stable. After yet another Beta test period where our amazing community helped us test, we feel comfortable to move forward. So, what do we have in store for you:

With this launch we are also trying something new. We've created a short video where we inform you about a range of new features that are in Ultimaker Cura 4.7. What do you think? Is it useful for you? The usual description and highlights of Ultimaker Cura 4.7 you can find underneath.

Improving your workflow
Adding a Cloud printer to Ultimaker Cura became much easier. Where before you had to add each individual printer, Cura adds all printers you have in the Digital factory when you sign in with your Ultimaker account. If you don’t log in, account synchronization can be triggered later via the “Add a Cloud printer button.” A reboot is not needed to install printers. 

Improved search
The wide range of available settings can be a blessing when you want to fully optimize and configure your print strategy. But sometimes it can also be overwhelming. “What was that one setting called again I used the other day? It had something to do with ...” With this improved search you can search for what a feature does, instead of what it is called.  Practically this means you can now search for keywords that match the description of a feature. 

Model error detection. 
When you upload a model which is not a manifold or contains errors Cura will present you with a pop-up warning. You can go back to your CAD software to correct it and retry slicing it in Cura, saving you the time and frustration of discovering the error during mid-print. Thanks to @ahoeben smartavionics, and @bagel-orb for their contributions to this feature

Tree-support improvements.

Together with moving the tree support out of the Experimental category and into the support type dropdown, we also fixed multiple reported issues where the support branches would interfere with the model, or the support bottom distance was too small, or printing in the vase mode. Thanks everyone who helped testing! 

Rotation widgets.

@ahoeben has contributed code that adds three pairs of arrow widgets to the Rotate tool handle, enabling you to rotate objects by exactly 90 degrees.   

Performance improvements with multiple 3D models.

In previous versions many objects on a build plate could cause Ultimaker Cura's performance and response to be slow. We have made some code optimizations to increase responsiveness in such cases.  

Thank you all that helped with testing Ultimaker Cura 4.7 Beta, and realize this stable version. Your efforts mean a lot to us! 

That is not all! More features and bug fixes can be found via this link. 

Ready to give it a go? Download Ultimaker Cura 4.7 now.

Direct link to dmg and exe.

Let us know below what you think! Have a great day! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cute how in the video the 90 degree widgets are mentioned but then not used. Click the arrows on the arcs to rotate by 90 degrees.

PS: @fieldofview is @ahoeben on the forum.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, gatxet said:

hi, i was looking forward to this update. Is there by any chance profile for the artillery genius printer? Thank you

[gr5 translated to english]

Nope. For third party machines we rely on outside contributions. Unfortunately, no-one made the contribution so far.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 4.7 is available!

Old problem resurfacing?

I start 4.7, try to add a non network printer, cura crashes.?

Is it me?

Windows 10, Intel I5

image.png.96e8bb987e5cc5920630d4d6a6b1ca82.png

Edited by Buj
    missing info
    • Like 2

18 hours ago, ahoeben said:

PS: @fieldofview is @ahoeben on the forum.

Fixed that for you, I wasn't sure and thought I used FieldofView before in such context. Will keep it in mind. 

Thanks for the update!

It didn't bring in my profiles and settings from 4.6, as (I think) previous updates did (I did click uninstall 4.6 and also allowed it to remove all my profiles, so it might be my own fault, I was too fast in clicking next,next, yes I guess - on the other hand I think I did it like this since before Cura 2 and usually worked). Might be beneficial to ask if the user wants to import their settings to the new version, rather than asking to delete them from the previous install (which I always do, as I don't want lingering folders of uninstalled programs). It wasn't clear to me that they wouldn't be imported if I chose to delete them.

I tried loading backups (old ones though, latest was from Oct 2019) and Cura crashed the first couple of tries when accepting to "close Cura now". After that I clicked No and closed Cura manually, which helped. 

It will not load any profiles from gcodes made in 4.6, but this might be expected?

Cura 4.7 has a bug where if you choose the eSUN PLA+ material profile, all printing profiles disappear.  If you choose a generic PLA material profile, the printing profiles come back.

• Like 1

If they disappear, how did you manage to choose the generic profile?

9 minutes ago, gr5 said:

If they disappear, how did you manage to choose the generic profile?

The printing profile goes away, not the material profile.

eSUN.jpg

Generic.jpg

2 hours ago, Verne64 said:

Thanks for the update!

It didn't bring in my profiles and settings from 4.6, as (I think) previous updates did (I did click uninstall 4.6 and also allowed it to remove all my profiles, so it might be my own fault, I was too fast in clicking next,next, yes I guess - on the other hand I think I did it like this since before Cura 2 and usually worked). Might be beneficial to ask if the user wants to import their settings to the new version, rather than asking to delete them from the previous install (which I always do, as I don't want lingering folders of uninstalled programs). It wasn't clear to me that they wouldn't be imported if I chose to delete them.

I tried loading backups (old ones though, latest was from Oct 2019) and Cura crashed the first couple of tries when accepting to "close Cura now". After that I clicked No and closed Cura manually, which helped. 

It will not load any profiles from gcodes made in 4.6, but this might be expected?

I just installed 4.7, let it uninstall 4.6, but KEPT my profiles.

Cura 4.7 crashes every time I try to open an STL file. The program itself will run, but crashes if I try to open any STL I have tried. I get error logs as follows:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "X:\4.7-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\cura\CuraApplication.py", line 1060, in event

File "X:\4.7-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Qt\QtApplication.py", line 464, in event

File "X:\4.7-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Event.py", line 218, in call

File "X:\4.7-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Signal.py", line 332, in __performEmit

File "X:\4.7-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\cura\CuraApplication.py", line 1820, in _readMeshFinished

IndexError: list index out of range

Thread 0x000032a8 (most recent call first):

File "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.7\plugins\RemovableDriveOutputDevice\RemovableDrivePlugin.py", line 61 in _updateThread

File "threading.py", line 862 in run

File "threading.py", line 914 in _bootstrap_inner

File "threading.py", line 882 in _bootstrap

Thread 0x000051d4 (most recent call first):

File "threading.py", line 297 in wait

File "zeroconf\__init__.py", line 2117 in wait

File "zeroconf\__init__.py", line 1434 in run

Thread 0x000031f8 (most recent call first):

File "threading.py", line 549 in wait

File "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.7\plugins\UM3NetworkPrinting\src\Network\ZeroConfClient.py", line 81 in _handleOnServiceChangedRequests

Thread 0x00000c58 (most recent call first):

File "zeroconf\__init__.py", line 2117 in wait

File "zeroconf\__init__.py", line 1262 in run

Thread 0x0000292c (most recent call first):

File "zeroconf\__init__.py", line 1183 in run

Thread 0x00003808 (most recent call first):

File "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.7\plugins\USBPrinting\USBPrinterOutputDeviceManager.py", line 87 in _updateThread

Thread 0x000050f8 (most recent call first):

File "X:\4.7-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Backend\Backend.py", line 165 in _storeStderrToLogThread

Thread 0x0000484c (most recent call first):

File "X:\4.7-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Backend\Backend.py", line 153 in _storeOutputToLogThread

Thread 0x00003304 (most recent call first):

File "threading.py", line 293 in wait

File "threading.py", line 424 in acquire

File "X:\4.7-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\JobQueue.py", line 98 in _nextJob

File "X:\4.7-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\JobQueue.py", line 123 in run

Thread 0x000030e4 (most recent call first):

File "C:\Users\flkar\AppData\Roaming\cura\4.7\plugins\SettingsGuide2\SettingsGuide2\CuraSettingsGuide.py", line 295 in _getArticle

File "C:\Users\flkar\AppData\Roaming\cura\4.7\plugins\SettingsGuide2\SettingsGuide2\CuraSettingsGuide.py", line 158 in load_all

File "C:\Users\flkar\AppData\Roaming\cura\4.7\plugins\SettingsGuide2\SettingsGuide2\CuraSettingsGuide.py", line 143 in run

File "X:\4.7-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\JobQueue.py", line 132 in run

Thread 0x000043a4 (most recent call first):

File "X:\4.7-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\JobQueue.py", line 98 in _nextJob

File "X:\4.7-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\JobQueue.py", line 123 in run

Thread 0x00004acc (most recent call first):

Current thread 0x00004c58 (most recent call first):

File "X:\4.7-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\cura\CrashHandler.py", line 393 in _logInfoWidget

File "X:\4.7-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\cura\CrashHandler.py", line 182 in _createDialog

File "X:\4.7-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\cura\CrashHandler.py", line 86 in __init__

File "X:\4.7-exe\build\inst\bin\cura_app.py", line 166 in exceptHook

File "X:\4.7-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Qt\QtApplication.py", line 378 in exec_

File "X:\4.7-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\cura\CuraApplication.py", line 844 in run

File "X:\4.7-exe\build\inst\bin\cura_app.py", line 234 in <module>

File "Console.py", line 24 in <module>

File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 634 in _load_backward_compatible

File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 664 in _load_unlocked

File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 957 in _find_and_load_unlocked

File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 968 in _find_and_load

File "__startup__.py", line 12 in <module>

File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 634 in _load_backward_compatible

File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 664 in _load_unlocked

File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 957 in _find_and_load_unlocked

File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 968 in _find_and_load

I am going to try to reinstall and have it remove the old profiles and see if that works.

• Like 1

In cura if you do "helpl" "Show Configuration Folder" and then you delete that folder tree and restart cura it will recreate a fresh copy of default profiles in there and Cura won't crash anymore.

The bad thing about this is that you lose any profiles you created.

There are 2 schools of thought with saving your settings.  One is to save your settings in "profiles".  The other is to save them in "project files" (thirdly some people use paper - not me).  I do the later as it seems more dependable and I can load very old project files into much newer versions of Cura and it always works fine for me.  This has the added benefit that if someone points to a 5 year old print and says "what were the settings?",  I have it.  Saved forever.  Including orientation of STL and scale of part (if I scaled it up or down) and so on.

In cura if you do "helpl" "Show Configuration Folder" and then you delete that folder tree and restart cura it will recreate a fresh copy of default profiles in there and Cura won't crash anymore.

Unfortunately that didn't work for me, it still crashes every time I try to open an STL. I completely deleted the cura folder in appdata as well as fully reinstalled cura. I'm unable to open any STLs at all without it crashing.

41 minutes ago, Taubin said:

Unfortunately that didn't work for me, it still crashes every time I try to open an STL. I completely deleted the cura folder in appdata as well as fully reinstalled cura. I'm unable to open any STLs at all without it crashing.

Same for me. I just tried it. Still crashes when I open an STL.

Well, there seem to be multiple issues here. I loaded the update on a laptop that's never had the software installed and it loaded the STL. However when I created my own filament profile, all of the print profiles disappeared and it won't actually let me import or create one. Even the default profiles are gone.

Cura Issues 3.jpg

Cura Issues 2.jpg

Cura Issues 1.jpg

I cannot edit the post, but the solution to the problem with the missing profiles is on Github:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/8229

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taubin said:

1 hour ago, KaraokeAmerica said:

Same for me. I just tried it. Still crashes when I open an STL.

I think the problem is that every time Cura 4.7 restarts, it re-grabs the profile data from 4.6 or earlier versions. You have to delete *all* your profile data from previous versions before restarting Cura 4.7, and only then will 4.7 run properly.

Needless to say, losing all my carefully curated profiles is *completely* unacceptable, and I have dropped back to 4.6.2 until Ultimaker gets their crap together and fixes this ridiculous problem.

29 minutes ago, prof_west said:

I think the problem is that every time Cura 4.7 restarts, it re-grabs the profile data from 4.6 or earlier versions

Well......that's possible. However,. I have multiple folders of old profiles and I've never had Cura crash before v4.7. If this is true than it's related to something introduced into 4.7, from my experience.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 4.7 is available!
    22 minutes ago, KaraokeAmerica said:

Well......that's possible. However,. I have multiple folders of old profiles and I've never had Cura crash before v4.7. If this is true than it's related to something introduced into 4.7, from my experience.

I'm the same, I had configuration files from 4.4, 4.5 and 4.6 on this PC.

It is easy to try it for yourself. Move all of the folders from "C:\Users\*your username*\AppData\Roaming\cura" to a temporary directory. Restart Cura 4.7.

When I did this, it ran fine. But if I restored from backup, it would start crashing again. If I deleted the 4.7 profile data, put the old profile data back, then restarted 4.7, crashing again. Something in 4.7 is terribly broken when it tries to use the old profiles.

So, I figure choices are stay with 4.6 for now and wait until 4.7 is fixed, or rebuild all your profiles.

[EDIT] I should say, everything works fine for my Ultimaker S3. It only crashes when I select my Ender 3 as the printer.

Edited by prof_west

14 hours ago, KaraokeAmerica said:

Cura 4.7 crashes every time I try to open an STL file.

Fix is already read to be tested -> https://github.com/Ultimaker/Uranium/pull/633

8 hours ago, Taubin said:

Well, there seem to be multiple issues here. I loaded the update on a laptop that's never had the software installed and it loaded the STL. However when I created my own filament profile, all of the print profiles disappeared and it won't actually let me import or create one. Even the default profiles are gone.

See the info on this issue: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/8229

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, prof_west said:

I think the problem is that every time Cura 4.7 restarts, it re-grabs the profile data from 4.6 or earlier versions. You have to delete *all* your profile data from previous versions before restarting Cura 4.7, and only then will 4.7 run properly.

Needless to say, losing all my carefully curated profiles is *completely* unacceptable, and I have dropped back to 4.6.2 until Ultimaker gets their crap together and fixes this ridiculous problem.

Get our crap together? Excuse me? You're using an open source product, on hardware that we don't sell or support. We don't even have those third party printers nor the capacity (and desire) to actually test them.

So if you want to prevent issues like that, pleas use the beta and report these issues during the beta. As you can see, i've managed to create a fix for this within a single hour of this being reported.

We test Cura as much as we can, but we greatly focus on Ultimaker machines since 99% of the development of Cura is paid from the revenus of Ultimaker.

• Like 5

Sigh. I should've come to the forum before updating... I lost all my profiles. Help!