A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

ian

Posted · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

Oh the death trooper design is a typical Paul Braddock design, love it ;) He doesnt post much around here anymore does he! I wonder if he ever finished his terminator head!!

• 2 weeks later...

How was my day? Very good. I slept most of the day, ate three meals, and I tend to wake up around 7pm and get on to the night's activities which include a couple of naps and a lot of work. Work for this week is to complete an online self-paced video course on circuit board design wit the open source KiCad software, and decide which printer to get.

I was all set to buy a Taz 5, when I fell in lust with the Ultimaker 2 Extended +, what a mochine that thang is! Plus I'm left with almost $1k left so I can afford some filament and payment to an an open source reprap enthusiast to pimp out my Ultimaker! Gonna be a heck of a machine with a few of the killer mods like maybe dual extruder and heated bed or somesuch.

So yeah, good days this week, then next week my Mom and Aunt/Uncle will visit me here in Texas from the East Coast where they live. Yeah, good times are both on the horizon and here today!

Les

Make history!

• Like 2

I was all set to buy a Taz 5, when I fell in lust with the Ultimaker 2 Extended +, what a mochine that thang is! an open source reprap enthusiast to pimp out my Ultimaker!  Gonna be a heck of a machine with a few of the killer mods like maybe dual extruder and heated bed

Maybe I read this wrong but the UM2 extended+ already has a heated bed. So you can also save some penny's there.

I was all set to buy a Taz 5, when I fell in lust with the Ultimaker 2 Extended +, what a

Les

Wow - Les, good to see you here - great choice of printer :) can't wait to see what you make with it! - Spideysense?

Did some printing this weekend. The printer didn't see any action for quite some time. Haven't had much time with the new house and so on.

Printer was constantly under-extruding.

Cleaning, vacuuming, greasing, nothing helped.

After about 3 restarts of half an hour each I finally realised that I forgot to put my 0.4 nozzle back... It was printing with 0.8 *facepalm*

• Like 2

Well, sounds like it got to enjoy a nice overall clean while you were at it ;)

That's one of the things I like about the Olsson nozzle set :p It has numbers on the nozzles. Sometimes I forget what drilled out nozzle I have in my UMO. Luckily I mainly print .4

I was all set to buy a Taz 5, when I fell in lust with the Ultimaker 2 Extended +, what a

Les

Wow - Les, good to see you here - great choice of printer :)can't wait to see what you make with it! - Spideysense?

Thanks jameshs, I wrote a whole long response and it got lost somehow. Anyway, Phone Home is the latest thing, putting IoT on the hands.

How did your response get lost?

Curious to see what you'll be making, make sure to let us know through our 3D print-section :)

How did your response get lost?

Curious to see what you'll be making, make sure to let us know through our 3D print-section :)

The response was loss due to error on my part, I did not check the "I am not a robot" box before posting the reply. I don't quite recall which button, I think it was preview not post but it could have been either. Something to check out. I'm on a Mac running Chrome.

The printer will be for both work and of course play! Lots of play! For work I will print lids for Mason Jars that hold electrodes and have vents and a logo on them, plus various parts for boxes to hold electronics and of course Earth Drops. Here is the Earth Drop, a symbol of water and humanity on Earth:

Earth Drop

With an Extended UM2 I can print a huge Earth Drop! For play I print Christmas ornaments, motor and gear parts, e-NABLE hands (naturally), e-NABLE wearables and circuit holders / battery holders, and generally semi - inventive stuff. Like my Thrombic Aorta:

Thrombic Aorta

and on and on, I run my printer all the time. Lately I've been catching up with the world in the realization that just printing stuff has its limitations, so incorporating motors and electronics and LEDs and such goes a long way. I've done somethings like that as well and plan to do more.

Thanks for reading all the gibberish that I write, I tend to be verbose. :)

Les

Make history!

• Like 2

I tend to be verbose.  :)

It is only bits and bytes - be as verbose as you want! :)

• Like 1

I just pulled the trigger on a um2+. Very excited to get it in a few days and start printing! I've already got several projects waiting in line to be printed.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum! I'm very curious what you will be making.

Will you use it professionally or for your personal gain?

Just been visiting a 3D printing company here in the UK wityh a very impressive customer list, which I wont name, but think of anything huge and they are involved ;0). Metal sintering and design expertise with machines costing £750,000 ... build plate not much bigger than a UM2 lol. Great chat though!

What was the reason for your visit? Looking for a job?

Sounds like you had a good time. Always great to hang around with a bunch of other 3D printing geeks ;)

On facebook Ultimaker linked to a Dutch tv show where they showed a 3d printed violin.

Now there have been others before, mainly electric ones, but this one looked quite printable :O

Had a go at google and found the original site: http://www.hovalin.com/make/

I must say, I am SO tempted to try to make this. Not sure what material yet though, carbon, woodfill, or just a PLA/nGen/XT(and which color)

• Like 2

I must say, I am SO tempted to try to make this. Not sure what material yet though, carbon, woodfill, or just a PLA/nGen/XT(and which color)

Woodfil ofcourse! Also add a nice varnish and see how close to the real deal you can get.

The wood is not so strong though. Not sure how it would last with the string tension. But it definitely wood be the most ideal :)

It has the carbon inserts for added strength, but yeah, difficult choice

What was the reason for your visit? Looking for a job?

Sounds like you had a good time. Always great to hang around with a bunch of other 3D printing geeks ;)

Kind of job seeking yeah, they wanted to chat with me about possible future jobs but at the moment they are seeking funding to expand. Awesome company though and the potential is huge, already their clients are an amazing list. Let`s see what happens ;p

It's good to know what is out there :)

What kind of job are you looking to do, what did you do in your previous job?

Most of my previous years have been Design Engineering, Managing development teams, Project management etc. But...I am kind of looking for something new or interesting, maybe start some kind of business myself... but it`s a bit unknown. I fancied getting into 3D printing a bit deeper to learn what`s out there at the expensive end...a lot of work this company does is for such awesome clients it would be fun to work with them given the right role, even if they paid peanuts :p

I work at home currently doing freelance CAD etc which is OK, but I kind of miss working in a large team with big targets etc lol

I work at home currently doing freelance CAD etc which is OK,  but I kind of miss working in a large team with big targets etc lol

So uh, how do you feel about living in the Netherlands? ;) Ultimaker is pretty much always looking for new people.