A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

ian

Posted · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

Hi Guys,

This weekend I will be at the Maker Faire Bay Area with my colleague Matthijs.

Will any of you come by and say hi?

Ultimaker is at booth 815.

Looking forward meeting some of you IRL! :)

oh god your right !!!

well thank god some one said it...

thank god !!!

HEHEHEHEHE

so just back from a weekend in Bavaria...

I had to orgnaise a new apartment for me with the new job starting in 3 weeks..

Drove around a lot of Bavaria looking at apartments... the best for me was... the neigbour telling me to be careful with the women living under me.. she has little grasp of reality... WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN !!! shes going to rape and kill me as I sleep ?-... ahhhhh

But the very last apartment was... perfect.. sharing with two engineers from Texas Instruements.. and its 5km from my office.. so really cool... plus really nice and... dirt cheap !!!!! score !!!!!

Spent the night car camping in a cool forest ontop of a mountain looking over Bavaria.. I kinda love car camping... lots of blankets and bottles of water and falling asleep stretched out.. looking up through the glass roof of the ford kuga and seeing the stars shine betwen the trees.. really nice....

so ...2 weeks of work.. then 1 free... then BAVARIA BABY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ian :-)

Haha Ian, your life is taking an exciting twist lately!! I`m not so keen on the sharing apartment bit, but you`ll have fun no doubt with fellow geeky engineers :)

thanks !!!

and not geeky !!!.... ULTRA PROGRESSIVE COOL !!!

Good day my Ultimaker brethren.

Ian it sounds like a very exciting life change, you have an explorers soul and I like your post; car camping over Baviaria ... beautiful. I think most people like stagnant living and wouldn't take the risks that you do, I hope they are very rewarding for you :D.

I too am doing a lot of traveling, I'm traveling through California all this week. The first leg of my journey is the ASMA (aerspace medical association) conference on the water front in San Diego. I'm giving a talk on filtering techniques for high-rate acceleration and impact data, it should prove pretty interesting. The weather is beautiful, and although I arrived only yesterday I've already done a significant amount of exploring. I've been eating delicious food and am going to a pretty famous comedy club later this evening. The second leg of my journey is to San Francisco where I'm going to finally meet some of the forum members face to face!!! I'm totally excited about the Maker Faire and am even more excited to see my 3D printing friends!! Last week was super hectic, I was preparing for my presentation and I wanted to print out some of my favorite prints and some new prints to bring to the Maker event, I re-printed the foot skeleton (the original is well...contaminated), an illuminated picture frame, a new yo-yo (this one with nickles for mass), and a brand new set of glasses frames that are significantly better than my old pair. The glasses lenses website I found totally came through and my glasses frames have new shiny lenses in them.

I`m jealous Aaron, would love to meet you all at the maker faire too! :)

Me too. I whish I wasn't scared of flying and had some time to spare. There is a maker faire in Hannover/Germany in july (http://makerfairehannover.com/). Who's going? Aaron, you like traveling - why not visit Germany? :)

Hey Ian good to hear. I do come to appreciate Bavaria (except for the dialect). Now that my best friend moved to Munich, I am going to visit Bavaria very often. Last weekend I was there and went trekking with some friends. We had our own alpine hut for two days (no electricity, only gas powered lamps) - it was great!

The Ultimaker mountain adventure, snowboarding, hiking, printing and drinking!! When`s the party?

Tonight...its white wine, instead of red... and one of those evenings where I print my design, only to redesign it whilst it is printing and start the print again, 2 hours later. LOL.

Hey guys,

about an official Ultimaker convention - I have created a poll here. Please vote!

http://www.livhambrett.com/everything-i-know-about-germany-germans/what-i-know-about-germans/

Lol, I was about to post on here " what can I print for my lovely German next door neighbour? ". Then I thought I should google " What Germans like ". Lol found that link which made me laugh!

I know, I'm tired...need to go to bed! I would print him schnapps if the printer could do it lol.

Hey guys, I gave my presentation at the conference this evening. Well, the material was great but the delivery.....apparently I get very nervous when public speaking and totally bombed the delivery part. Blarp, trying not to dwell on it by distracting myself. I need to find a solution to this predicament, I find that as time progresses I actually become a worse public speaker.

Anyway, I actually might be going to Germany later this year for another conference with an even longer talk :-|. It's a 50/50 shot, the content my material is over is a bit tangential to the theme of the conference, but my boss wanted me to submit anyway. I'll know in a couple of months whether or not my paper was accepted. I'll definitely keep you guys posted! Even if I don't end up going to the conference I would still like to visit Germany if not this year then next year.

Hey Aaron, don't let the speaking think get you down... it happens to most people when they are not used to it. Speaking to an audience takes practice, practice and practice, if you are new to it then it can be incredibly intimidating. I`m sure you think it was worse than what everybody else actually thought it was though!

Back @ work again, those nights just pass by so quickly don't they! Coffeeeee

..And then my NAS freaked out and reset itself to factory defaults, including format to empty default folders.. :shock:

..And of course no recent backup of the last 3-4 weeks

I thought a Raid 1 NAS would give some prevention of data loss

Happy Wednesday everybody (weekend is approaching)

Today i will receive some filaments from colorfabb, including the woodfill fine that i will test soon. For those that use twitter follow them they post a lot of sexy pics of their beta tested filaments and other stuff

Except that i've been playing a bit with OpenScad, you can do pretty cool stuff with that

Morning guys !!

Aaron dont worry about your presentation !!

If the mateial was good... then im sure the people were happy.

Its like saying the cake was amazing but the cheeries ontop were a little saur.

Plus next time...think of a presentation like a loud chat between friends... Talk to the people around you about what you know and not shout at a wall of faces...

Have a lovely day.

That strategy doesn't work on me. The better I know the audience the more nervous I am. So the best thing for me is to have a presentation in front of a few hundreds of people which I absolutely don't know and which I most probably never see again in my life... ;)

Ian, are you already nervous for your presentation at the Fabcon.3D?

hehehe,,,,, im putting together my presentation now.. and my finger tips are getting colder and colder.. i hope thats a good sign ! ;-)

I want to really say someting important at this fair and show some important ideas...

I dont care if Im completly wrong or right.. The imporant thing for me is sharing ideas and opening new directions of discussion and finding better solutions...

The day that you'll reveal you feeder design is slowly approaching? To bad it's so far in Germany and that i'm very busy during the following weekends.

Ian, try to get someone to video your presentation :) so we can see your skills

Using OpenScad at work and compiling and rendering something complex = Bad idea.

Ended up killing the process, it was using 2.4gb of ram :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and i could barely do anything on my lousy pc

Will try again on my more powerfull laptop :geek:

Lol Didier, sounds just like me at work. This PC I am using now only has 4Gb Ram!

Same here and with the other stuff i need to have it's so slow i can browse the forum in between compiling my work ^^

Not the same here (16GB RAM on a Retina Macbook Pro) but I have a very very slow internet connection 4mbit :(

And it won't get better because this rural region isn't very high up on the DSL distribution list...

On the bright side, if I walk for a minute or two, I can see endless green fields and cows and horses. Let's hope they don't eat internet cables...