ColorFabb testing Metalfill Bronze

Posted · ColorFabb testing Metalfill Bronze

I've seen the bronze filament today, and it was preeeeeetty! :eek:

Really great how it feels heavier then regular plastic, it makes it feel more like an actual product instead of a print.

(no offense print).

• Replies 137
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"" All bronzeFill pre-orders will be shipped separately when product is in stock and available. ""

:p

I ordered a roll of glowfill together with a roll bronzefill. The glowfill already arrived.

@colorfabb: Do you already have an estimated shipping date for the bronzefill?

Man, I would love to get my hands on the bronzefill and glowfill, but at the cost of $170.75 plus other charges to ship it to me in the U.S. it comes to about $220.00 for two rolls of filament.

Is there another distributor in the U.S.?

Never mind, Printed Solid is in the U.S., now I just need to wait until they get a shipment of the new filaments.

Got a roll of the bronzefill delivered today! The box was absolutely destroyed in shipping but the roll is still sealed. With this heavy filament they need to pack it better. Can't wait to try it out, I will report back.

Imakr in the UK are stocking it now. :)

Hmpf, I ordered filament for around 150€ and totally forgot about bronzefill. Damnit!

Guys, please post some pics of your prints. This bronzefill filament looks super interesting. Also coupled with (wet) sanding, there are some great effects to be achieved.

I finally got my bronze today and after some underextrusion problems (easily fixed by increasing the flow) i managed to get my first 3.5 hours print.

Bronze2

Printed with 0.06mm layer height, it came out nearly perfect.

I am still trying to understand the best way to sand and polish it.

tried different polishing porducts and even used Nitro thinner to get a smooth surfce (worked very well but left white discolorization.)

i am not a 100 percent satisfied with the current result and will continue my experiments, but wanted to share something anyway :)

Looks great Bauer!

Hope mine comes soon... I pre-ordered on June 6, so far no sign of it.

Troy.

Troy

I ordered mine 3 days ago and it arrived this morning, yep all 1500 grams of 1.75mm, now got to wait until next week for them to fix their error and deliver the correct 2.85mm that i ordered.. was so looking forward to a weekend with Bronzfill :(

Edit: have to say colorfabbs has been very quick to fix this error as i have just received tracking number for replacement Bronzfill

Hmm... Guess I will need to drop them an email...

Here are some of my bronzfill tests from the weekend. I'm finding I get a better polish when printing at 220c with a layer height of .08 or .06 or it could be that it just takes less time to polish at higher resolutions.

Print speed at 50mm/s (no need to go super slow)

It prints really well, I have not had any problems.

Bronze Fill RingBronzeFill Rings 1BronzeFill Rings 2

Are the printed parts more wear resistant than normal PLA or ABS parts? I can already envision making those custom metal bearings :D

I doubt it's more durable than regular filament, if anything I'd say it's weaker. The metal doesn't melt in the nozzle and fuse together, it's still just metal particles suspended in plastic. But I've only handled the stuff very briefly so don't quote me on that.

Hey, just wanted to let you know that we've got a little bit of this in stock for those in the US who have been patiently waiting. I've got a handful of requests from people who have previously expressed interest that I am waiting to hear back on before I go ahead an list it as regular item on the site.

If you'd like to call dibs on a spool, PM me here.

For all who´d like to test the bronze filament, there is now the possibility of ordering a sample pack with bronzefil, laywood and XT via the colorfabb webshop.

I did and can´t wait the arrival.... :-)

Shipment to Switzerland with DHL: €26.60, price of the sample pack: €20... Ultimaker is not the only company with ridiculous shipping prices... must be a Dutch problem... what about standard mail?

+1

Watch out though that contrary to the image on their site, you only get one sample of bronzeFill and two samples of all other filament types (XT, woodFill and glowFill).

Appearance depends heavily on lighting conditions like any reflective surface.

I'll go and get some polishing tools.

gallery_5589_458_523946.jpg

hey Foehnstrum,

How did you manage to get the purple in there?

I love the ring!

Cheers!

Lennart,

This is how I did it.

I'm simplifying the numbers to give you a starting point.

Cura will tell you how much filament is needed in meters when making a print.

in my case the ring used .15 meters

1. Divide that number by 3

2. Measure and cut .05 bronzefill **

3. Measure and cut .05 red filament

4. Start the load material sequence and slowly feed in the .05 bronzefill followed by the .05 of the red.

5. Finish by loading more bronzefill from the spool. Don't cut the 3rd part, keep it connected to the spool. Hit the button and let it load quickly.

6. Select the material settings (Custom for Bronzefill)

7. In the Maintenance menu use the Move Material option and advance the filament so that all of the pieces are pushing on each other.

8. Start the print.

** now this is the tricky part; The printer will purge a fair amount of filament before each print. you need to compensate for how much gets wasted. Make the first piece you cut and load much longer. It will take a few attempts to get it right.

Christopher.

Hi Lennart,

(on an UM original) I used the PauseAtHeigth Plugin at 40% and 60% height, swapped the filament, purged the nozzle and resumed printing. If you don't purge you'll get a smooth transition between the two filaments, I used this for the Inception spinner but you don't want that for the ring.

Markus

Great info!

Got my sample bag today - bronzefil, glow, wood and (again) xt...

Now just need time... :-(