Simplify3D

conz

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Simplify3D

GermanRepRap foundation is just reselling it. They didn't make it.

(I've never used it, but I've heard from people that it's pretty nice. But also that the people who are making it think they are god and their software is the best thing ever)

Posted · Simplify3D

I've bought it and I think it's pretty awesome.

Unfortunately it comes with kind of a steep learning curve before you get decent prints out of it. That being said: You can control pretty much everything and if you're really into 3d printing it's worth it imho.

Posted · Simplify3D

Unfortunately it comes with kind of a steep learning curve before you get decent prints out of it..

Hi Blizz was looking at this again as you have brought it up, What do you mean by learning curve before getting decent prints ? Also do you think print quality is as good as cura ? wouldn't want to pay for something that can not at least match the free slicer...

Posted · Simplify3D

Bad article, good slicer. The print they showed from Slic3r simply shows that they don't know how to use Slic3r very well.

S3D is a bit obscure learning to use it, but it has features that make reproducible production of parts less of a PIA than others.

It does have a couple of quirks in re. sequential printing, and it does not have the ability to specify where to locate start/end points, like Kisslicer.

Overall, it's right up there with the three other good slicers (Cura, Kisslicer, and Slic3r), but is not free to use, and they unfortunately don't offer any sort of free trial, AFAIK.

Posted · Simplify3D

Bad article, good slicer. The print they showed from Slic3r simply shows that they don't know how to use Slic3r very well.

S3D is a bit obscure learning to use it, but it has features that make reproducible production of parts less of a PIA than others.

It does have a couple of quirks in re. sequential printing, and it does not have the ability to specify where to locate start/end points, like Kisslicer.

Overall, it's right up there with the three other good slicers (Cura, Kisslicer, and Slic3r), but is not free to use, and they unfortunately don't offer any sort of free trial, AFAIK.

I bought Simplify3D last week, after using Cura for 2 years, it takes some time to get used to it. But that's normal I guess, because I wanted more options and control over my prints.

I like the better control of the Infill (not visible from the outside), and the possibility to use different layer heights in a print

+ it has the ability to specify the startpoints of the layer, 3 options; Random,(no z-scar), Optimized for printspeed and closest to specified X,Y coordinate.

Posted · Simplify3D

How does support material stack up against Cura, is it better, much better same or worse ?

Posted · Simplify3D

The support is definitely a lot better. Easier to remove and less "present" (as in bulky). Also, there is a full manual support mode, in case you think the app adds too much or if you can do better :)

As for the quality, sure, it's right up there with Cura imo. I've only had my printer a couple of weeks, so not really entitled to a "professional opinion" yet, but there it is :)

You should take a look here:

http://www.3duniverse.org/2014/04/03/review-of-simplify3d-v2-0-1/

There might not be a trial, but their videos give a very good impression of what S3D can mean for you. I know it did for me.

Posted · Simplify3D

Re. start/end placement, Kisslicer allows you to specify an angular area around the periphery where the start/ends will be randomly placed, if that description makes sense.

On a circular piece, you could specify that you want all the starts to be placed randomly between 30-degrees and 135-degrees around the periphery.

Posted · Simplify3D

The support is definitely a lot better. Easier to remove and less "present" (as in bulky). Also, there is a full manual support mode, in case you think the app adds too much or if you can do better :)

As for the quality, sure, it's right up there with Cura imo. I've only had my printer a couple of weeks, so not really entitled to a "professional opinion" yet, but there it is :)

You should take a look here:

http://www.3duniverse.org/2014/04/03/review-of-simplify3d-v2-0-1/

There might not be a trial, but their videos give a very good impression of what S3D can mean for you. I know it did for me.

I took a look at the reviews and - honestly - this is a very interesting SW.

Of course, much more complex than Cura, which is an amazing SW too, but the features which took my breath are the manual support as well the gcode visualization.

Hope that something like this will pop up in the "pink unicorn" too as just for my hobby stuff it´s too expensive... :-)

Posted · Simplify3D

I just bought simplify3d because of the support feature design. I am having a big issue with it getting to print a good first layer. It seems that the extruder is not getting primed properly. Would anyone care to share their settings they are using with this software? UM2 I would sure appreciate it!!

Posted · Simplify3D

I just bought simplify3d because of the support feature design. I am having a big issue with it getting to print a good first layer. It seems that the extruder is not getting primed properly. Would anyone care to share their settings they are using with this software? UM2 I would sure appreciate it!!

Hi,

same her, I only did a few prints on a UM1, but found (in my opinion) strange default settings on Extruder and layer tabs.

'The extrusion multiplier' should be at 100%. On the layer tab 'first layer height' should also be at 100% or more if you like.

Posted · Simplify3D

I must admit that for longer prints I am still struggling with S3D as well. I've come to an overnight print twice already finding the filament retracted so far back it was almost pushed out the feeder.

The problem with an empty nozzle (unprimed) is also something I've experienced a couple times). Pretty sure it is indeed related to that multiplier. As a matter of precaution I tend to use the "move material" function before a print to make sure the nozzle is full.

Like I stated before, it has a learning curve and you need to do some experimenting to get things working. Even though I like the program a lot I still haven't come to the point where I'm comfortable firing of a print being sure it will end well ;)

Posted · Simplify3D

Can someone please post S3D settings for the Ultimaker 2. I have been trying for hours to get it to work. When I start the print, the head just moves around as if it is printing, but no filament comes out. Then about layer 3, it starts printing very sloppy layers. HELP!

Posted · Simplify3D

+1, I have a few machines I run it on. It definitely does imo have a learning curve but is more customizable than slic3r or cura, not to mention faster. also the supports are very easy to remove.

Posted · Simplify3D

That's for sure... The supports it generates are very easy to remove.

Now if I only could solve the fact that it retracts the filament more than it forwards it. After about half an hour I'm just printing hot air. Not something I ever had with Cura.

Posted · Simplify3D

Can someone please post S3D settings for the Ultimaker 2. I have been trying for hours to get it to work. When I start the print, the head just moves around as if it is printing, but no filament comes out. Then about layer 3, it starts printing very sloppy layers. HELP!

I just invested in S3D and what i did in the script tab under start.gcode i increased the 8mm to 20mm filament feed at the start. its all new to me so cant remember the line of code exactly as i am not at home, but there is comments next to it that tells you what each line of code does so just change E8 to E20 this should get the filament flowing ok...

It because at the end of a print the material is retracted more than the 8mm S3D specify's to feed at the start to prime the nozzle.

Posted · Simplify3D

G1 E8 F225 ; purge nozzle with 8mm of filament

Guess that's the one you mean. That would solve one of the other issues for me, namely that when starting a print after another the nozzle is empty.

So that leaves only the retraction during a print.

Posted · Simplify3D

So that leaves only the retraction during a print.

Hi Blizz

Like i said i have only been playing for just under a week so my advice might not be 100% just trial and error, i have done 6 hour prints all fine and used support which is the main reason for purchase..

Any ways my settings for retraction are standard apart from i removed the -0.13 i think it was, Again still at work so i cant look at exact figures working from memory. Also i had under extrusion only on the infill so i changed the multiplier from .90 to .95 tried 1.0 but 0.95 was sufficient to fix my issues... hope that helps...

I have an issue that once a print has finished, i then start a second one but the bed raises up while everything heats up then lowers and then does the start sequence do you get this ?

Also do the settings on the display work during printing on a um2 i know speed setting does but do the temp settings work also ?

Posted · Simplify3D

Yeah you can always change all those settings on the UM2 directly. When I initially installed S3D and set it to UM2 settings it had a multiplier setting of 1.07. I find that multiplier to be really confusing so I put it on 1.

But I think you are correct once more, I've overlooked that "Extra restart distance" setting. It is indeed set at -0.13. Will try with that set to 0 as well. It's description does sound like it might be the cause.

A big thank you for the input in advance, I hope this solves all of it :)

Posted · Simplify3D

Hi,

I found that -0.13 setting useful in helping to reduce the 'blobs' from the layer startpoint.

It might be better to check in advanced, the 'minimum travel distance for retraction' and set It on 3mm or something.

No idea what the standard travel distance is.

But printing the Monthly Challenge bracelet, I found after a few hours the filament halfway in the Bowden tube :(.

Posted · Simplify3D

3dcase: That is exactly what I am facing as well and the reason I'm sticking to Cura atm.

Posted · Simplify3D

Guys how long a print before you see it stop extruding because filament is gradualy working its way back up the bowden ?

I did a 5 hour print last night and all was fine...

Posted · Simplify3D

Guys how long a print before you see it stop extruding because filament is gradualy working its way back up the bowden ?

I did a 5 hour print last night and all was fine...

In my case it was after a 2 or 3 hours with this print

simply

A lot of retractions :(, on one point in the print it retracts more than it feeds, so when you choose the option 'only retract when crossing open spaces' you should be fine.

Never happened again.