Simplify3D

conz

Hi Bob, I am sure with experience you will get great prints from S3D, it just needs practice! I was long windedly making the simple point that changing settings midstream can create artefacts, which you seem to be suffering. You just need to manage that, maybe making the changes incrementally - he says with 0 experience! Perhaps if you used thicker perimeter walls they would absorb the change before you printed the external wall, for example.

• Replies 252
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow I like it look smooth. love the Map

hears my start up script for what it's worth

G28 ; Home all axes

G1 F1800 X20 Y20 Z20 ; Bring extruder to the front slowly

G92 E0 ; zero the extruded length

G1 F150 E30 ; purge nozzle with 30mm of filament

G1 F1800 X25 Y25 Z10

G92 E0 ; zero the extruded length again

G1 F255 E0.25 ; purge the extruded length 0.25mm

One thing I notice on the UM2 when you first switch your machine on I have to start a print job. Then I cancel it. Then re start a print job. something todo with the table not going up to position ?? Homing

Neither am I :)

Posted · Simplify3D

Hello to everyone,

I recently purchased Ultimaker 2 Extended, but I have troubles sorting out the right settings with Simplify3D. Has someone tried to use this slicer with the Extended model, and if so, can please update me with appropriate settings, based on the experience he/she had.

Thank you,

Viktor

Posted · Simplify3D

You should contact the Simplify3d support. I have received a profile for the UM2go in less than 24hours.

Posted · Simplify3D

Hi,

I am currently switching from cura to simplify3d. Do you have the warning "your machine settings will be replaced ...." when you start a print, which you have sliced with simplify3d? Is this normal ?

Regards,

Nils

Posted · Simplify3D

Yes thats normal. Just means you will override the default firmware settings. Also means you need to include stuff like the nozzle priming at startup in de Simplify3D startup code. You'll find examples in this forum... just ask if you can't find them (to lazy now to include links... I'm on my phone)

I bought it too to get more controls from my printer. Indeed (at least for me) a steep learn curve. It took me some time to get decent prints out of it. But it got it working perfectly and I like the program a lot so far! :)

I just bought a copy Friday since my friends are using it a lot with great success. I seemed to be the only one using Cura.

I'm going through the tutorials now on how to use it, the interface is a lot different than Cura.

I just bought a copy Friday since my friends are using it a lot with great success.  I seemed to be the only one using Cura.  

I'm going through the tutorials now on how to use it, the interface is a lot different than Cura.

How are your experiences so far, do you like the software? :)

I never looked back to Cura since I'm using S3D. I did receive a lot of help from this community to tweak my S3D though. :D (thnx @Neotko! ;))

• Like 2

I switched back to Cura since the Cura 15.10 beta. The supports generated with Cura 15.10 are very good and the details are finer on my tiny 3d prints.

I switched back to Cura since the Cura 15.10 beta. The supports generated with Cura 15.10 are  very good and the details are finer on my tiny 3d prints.

Did you try to adjust the settings or you just used default support settings?

I must always change the setting as my models are tiny (miniatures).

I must always change the setting as my models are tiny (miniatures).

can you post a few screenshots of you S3D settings? :)

I switched from Cuba a year ago and while the switch was difficult it was worth it I haven't looked back S3D the way to go for me. And at the 3D shows it is well represented.

I just did my first print with S3D

I pretty much kept things at the default settings, using the Ulticontroller to over ride the PLA temp (I didn't realize it set it at 190, so I pushed it up to 210 since that's what ColorFabb PLA PHA seems to like)

The first print wasn't so great. I also noticed when the print completed, the fan was left on and the print head didn't autohome back to the usual spot. Known issues?

I have an Ultimaker Original (Aug 2013 kit). I'm curious what others have adjusted to make it work better. I have had a few problem prints with Cura and the beta is a nightmare (many items not defaulted on, locks up...).

I just did my first print with S3D

I pretty much kept things at the default settings, using the Ulticontroller to over ride the PLA temp (I didn't realize it set it at 190, so I pushed it up to 210 since that's what ColorFabb PLA PHA seems to like)

The first print wasn't so great.  I also noticed when the print completed, the fan was left on and the print head didn't autohome back to the usual spot.   Known issues?

I have an Ultimaker Original (Aug 2013 kit).  I'm curious what others have adjusted to make it work better.  I have had a few problem prints with Cura and the beta is a nightmare (many items not defaulted on, locks up...).

Just start by copy/paste the gcode start/end sequences from old stable cura.

• Like 1

Good idea...thanks

MM where do you find the start and finish sequences in cura (in the g Code) its been along time since I looked in cura

As a um2 user you don't see it as it's done in printer firmware. If you want to work with your own start end codes you can change your machine settings in cura from ultigcode to reprap marlin/sprinter.

Also if you just want to have a look you can add a umo to your cura to see the start end code for an umo.

I've given up on S3D, due to its insane copy-protection scheme. It tells me that its installation files are corrupt almost every time I open it, and it needs to be downloaded and reinstalled yet again to make it work.

It's just not worth dealing with this idiocy, so I've tossed the application and will recommend against it until they become less sensitive to changes elsewhere in the system, like system software upgrades and maintenance.

Not a bad program, but apparently crippled by company paranoia.

You could sell your license :) I would have love a second hand s3d :D

Their support might give you an answer to your frustration. My s3d just works.

• Like 1