general forum feedback

ultiarjan

Posted · general forum feedback

I did not notice the menus, since I don't use them I can't compare. Glad to hear you'll fix the things the update broke.

Also since you brought up the manuals. When will you correct all the errors in the manuals, there have been several posts highlighting the issues and almost 2 years later , I'm still having people use my annotated UMO+ manual for assembly since the one on the website is has not been updated.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually, right now we are working on an improved version of the UMO manual, and we have been for.. I think over 2 months. It should be published in the beginning of May, around the second week or so.

• Like 1

@SandervG: I think it has been with this update you re-introduced prices for spare parts under 'products - spare parts', correct? As we have learned since beginning of this year prices are quite different in the various countries. And Ultimaker itself has no shop. So I ask myself are those prices good for?

@SandervG Yup although for me it was working, today it is failing. Every notification I have clicked has taken me to the first post in the thread and scrolling down there is no message line identifying the following threads to be unread. I conclude somebody has changed a line of code last night, unsuccessfully.

Are you sure these are posts you have not read yet, or visited the thread?

I just checked with several notifications and they all work flawlessly for me.

What system are you using and what browser? We'll have a look at it next week.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

@SandervG: I'm pretty sure I didn't visit the forum within the last two hours and your post and the 'unread' link respectively brought me to the top of page 48.

Win8.1/Firefox 46.0

Thanks, I'll report back shortly! @yellowshark? @peetersm? What about your OS?

I saw this both on my ipad IOS 7.0.6 and my Win7 machine in chrome-latest

Win 7 sp1 for me. I have been off the forum for a few days and this evening has been a mixed experience. So far I would say I have had more going to right place than not.

Whatever you "fixed" during your downtime it made browsing this forum worse...not better :(

Many threads when I click on the "unread" link takes me to somewhere in that thread...and it is not the first unread post, and sometimes there isn't even a marker that I can scroll to find. I have to skim through every post somewhere around the date when I think I last read something to find where to continue.

As much as I love the content in this forum...the implementation...well...it s***s :(

• Like 1

Ipad IOS 7.0.6 and win 7 chrome.

The bell and notification number are still floating down in the page, not centered in the blue bar. (FYI Firefox looks fine on win7)

Also on IOS 7.0.6 I had to log in today and thought it was hanging up since I only got a blue page with the X in the top right corner, but if I scrolled down 3 of 4 screens I finally saw the login box.

Notification links some go to 1st unread some don't . Can't see a pattern.

Notification links some go to 1st unread some don't . Can't see a pattern.

This.

I'm still seeing myself visit less than before the nerf :(

not sure if this is a new issue, but I just noticed that in portrait mode on my phone (galaxy S4) I can't like a post, the button shows in landscape mode.

landscape.thumb.png.a9fb607a5b7caed2ac19e3e51bff44b4.png

portrait.thumb.png.99d8da85b7e76584ca722731110b0e46.png

I think, the forum is harder to reach than before. My usual usecase 2 or 3 times a day was before: enter "www.ult" then press enter as autocompletion did the rest to go to www.ultimaker.com; then i clicked "forum" and was ready to scan through the latest posts.

now i have to hover over "Community" and find the forum among 20 other entries. I have to be careful that on the way to the link i don't accidently hover over one of the other main categories -> "Resources" lies in the straight connection line between "Community" and "Forum". This happens like every second time I try. So I have to navigate back to Community, wait for the menu to change and now take care to move the mouse down first and then left. And I have to avoid clicking on the top category "Community", as this takes me somewhere else again, just hover.

For me, daily use was better before the change.

Another small annoyance: In Firefox V46.0.1, Windows 7 x64, the text entry box for new posts has no scrollbar and doesn't react to the mouse whell. So if I enter a post (like this one), I can't scroll up and down to see what I have written already. Instead I have to alternatives: A) Increase the textbox with the handle in the right bottom corner. B) Scroll up by moving the cursor with cursor keys.

Hi @Avogra, thank you for your input.

Do you know you can also click community? It will guide you to the dashboard from which you can see the latest posts. The notification bell is always there to alert you for new activity in the topics you have decided to follow.

Is that helpful?

Would you prefer if the dropdown would be:

Popular print categories - community areas - forum categories?

We are working now on fixing the #unread thing, together with some other fixes and upgrades to the community platform.

We'll look into your other feedback, thanks!

I kinda dislike the wall of text that the drop down gives me. I'm only slightly dyslectic, but it greatly increases the number of misclicks.

For instance for the comunity dropdown; There is no reason to have the categories or the popular categories there. It just distracts from the actual thing that you want people to do. I've learned that it's best to give the user 7 or less choices for these kind of menus.

• Like 1

Totally agree @nallath there are several psychological studies that show that happiness it's achieved faster with less options to choose from.

Yes, I have seen that direct link to the dashboard. I prefer the topics view because here I can grasp much faster and more complete which threads/posts are interesting for me. I usually go down the list of topics until I reach the first which has no blue bar on the left. Now, when I think about it, to me there are these types of threads:

A) Threads I have posted to, so someone might wait for a response from me

B) Threads I'm interested in but only read passively

C) Threads that are new and I'm interested in

D) Threads that are new but I'm not interested in

E) Older threads I'm not intersted in

In the topics view I can discern these quickly.

This time, there is a scrollbar right of the textbox and I also can scroll with the mousewhell. Did you change something in the last hours? :p

I kinda dislike the wall of text that the drop down gives me.

Agree.

• Like 1

As always, we are open to suggestions :)

So, what would you prefer?

Are any of the distinguished categories unnecessary? Which would you like to see and in which order?

Anything completely different? The more info we have the better we can execute it :)

Posted (edited) · general forum feedback

funny thing .... I remember a looonnngggg time ago we where all complaining about the lack of information density :)

Regarding the "community" button just the stuff below the 'community area's' would be enough, the rest does not need to be behind the main button but can be indirect.

For the other buttons, I don't like the picture's in the dropdown, it's not useful at all in a menu . Specially because the big pictures are also in different places it makes the menu navigation chaotic.

For explore, maybe just stick to, What, Where, How and not put the details in the menu.

For "products" just stick to Printers, Software, Materials, Parts,.... and maybe include something like "Where to buy" in this main menu. I think this would be a more logical place than the "buy now" button with the shoppingcart, as you don't have a webshop anymore.....

And, finally, the clickable items below a button need to be straight below the button, I find the need to navigate to the side inside the dropdown pretty annoying.

Edited by Guest