Design CHALLENGE For UM2 Nozzle Changer

Posted · Design CHALLENGE For UM2 Nozzle Changer

Swordriff is amazing at constant improvement. He is indeed the one who figured out how to get those tiny markings on the nozzles. But as a backup they have other markings (dots). He is definitely more clever than the people at e3d-online who created this format of nozzles - they never thought to add 2 dots to the same hex flat face when they come up with a new nozzle size. Swordriff thought of it.

• Replies 50
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swordriff is amazing at constant improvement.  He is indeed the one who figured out how to get those tiny markings on the nozzles.  But as a backup they have other markings (dots).  He is definitely more clever than the people at e3d-online who created this format of nozzles - they never thought to add 2 dots to the same hex flat face when they come up with a new nozzle size.  Swordriff thought of it.

Will the new ones we buy from 3Dsolex be the engraved ones or still with the dots only?

It's indeed an amazing improvement for the UM2 these guys came up with, I'm really impressed!

I have so many different nozzles from 3D-Solex old ones and newer ones and E3d i'm so confused. so many different dots, or no dots at all. I once printed for a week with a 0.8mm nozzle that was set to 0.4mm in cura and didn't even realize till i removed it :( . that made me feel stupid. one day ill get around to printing a little chart to remind me. :)

So seeing the etched sizes is a really good addition.

I just keep'm in little plastic bags with a label, not only size but also if the're for PLA, ABS or the abrasive stuff.

Posted (edited) · Design CHALLENGE For UM2 Nozzle Changer

I have so many different nozzles from 3D-Solex old ones and newer ones and E3d i'm so confused. so many different dots, or no dots at all. I once printed for a week with a 0.8mm nozzle that was set to 0.4mm in cura and didn't even realize till i removed it :(. that made me feel stupid. one day ill get around to printing a little chart to remind me. :)

There is an easy solution, if you own a 3D printer... :)

...print at least one of this to remind you the nozzle size...,

and print a couple of these in several colors (or materials) to store (and separate) all your different nozzles.

Thanks to the designers for these brilliant ideas.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

I have so many different nozzles from 3D-Solex old ones and newer ones and E3d i'm so confused. so many different dots, or no dots at all. I once printed for a week with a 0.8mm nozzle that was set to 0.4mm in cura and didn't even realize till i removed it :(. that made me feel stupid. one day ill get around to printing a little chart to remind me. :)

There is an easy solution, if you own a 3D printer... :)

...print at least one of this to remind you the nozzle size...,

and print a couple of these in several colors (or materials) to store (and separate) all your different nozzles.

Thanks to the designers for these brilliant ideas.

Yeah i have one of those but the problem is that they don't hold all the sizes of nozzles i have. plus they don't hold enough. I haven't had the time to design my own yet. i need one for my 2go carry case 2.

Yeah i have one of those but the problem is that they don't hold all the sizes of nozzles i have. plus they don't hold enough. I haven't had the time to design my own yet. i need one for my 2go carry case 2.

How many "slots" do you need? I could make one with more spots in it. But you might have to wait until next week, I'm at a fair all week.

For people who bought nozzles in the past and have a mixture of types I know it's confusing.  It's confusing for me also.  Lately it's simple but because of changes in the past.. anyway here is a guide for Labern.

smallcone.PNG.9e90297e75e847af92082032c38532ed.PNG

Nozzle guide! .25mm always has small cone; no dots=.25 or .8; 1 dot .4 or .25; 2 dots .6; 3 dots .8; 4 dots 1mm or .4; 6 dots  .6mm;

And it's easy to tell .25 from .8 because .8 is 3X larger hole.

Edited by Guest

For people who bought nozzles in the past and have a mixture of types I know it's confusing.  It's confusing for me also.  Lately it's simple but because of changes in the past.. anyway here is a guide for Labern.

Nozzle guide! .25mm always has small cone; no dots=.25 or .8; 1 dot .4 or .25; 2 dots .6; 3 dots .8; 4 dots 1mm or .4; 6 dots  .6mm;

And it's easy to tell .25 from .8 because .8 is 3X larger hole.

Now we just need a negative dot (aka, a bump) for the 0.15 nozzle ;-)

How many "slots" do you need? I could make one with more spots in it. But you might have to wait until next week, I'm at a fair all week.

Thanks Robert

I know a lot of people request things from you so didnt want to bother you. But it would be great if you whipped one up. Im currently sorting all my nozzles so will let you know

@gr5 Thanks for the list. I have merged this with the E3D one and am going through all my nozzles now. The one I got mixed up on is an experimental one with 3 dots and the end looks really different to all others. I whipped it in thinking it was 3 dots = 0.4 (as per E3D)

The hardest one for me is i have heaps with 1 dot and it could be E3D 0.3 or 3D solex 0.25, 0.4.

The E3D nozzles have a chamfer on the lower side of the hex-part. The 3DSolex-nozzles never had that as far as I know, so that way you can separate them.

Just finished sorting my nozzles. Have hundreds of them as you probably can imagine, lots of prototypes and other "difficult to identify stuff". Ended up with only one unknown :)

Soon there might be more nozzle options for you, those will be easy to separate from the existing types of nozzles though..

Thanks for the tip. Narrows it down a bit.

I also have quite a few with no dots. Did both the 0.15 and 0.25 come with no dots? I only ordered one 0.15 but looking at them (although hard to tell) it seems i have more then one.

how's the quality of the V6 E3D nozzles compared to the 3Dsolex ones? anybody compared these 2 nozzles with each other?

Some of the E3D ones have a bit less oozing but other then that I'm not 100% sure quality wise as I have done a direct comparison.

So @gr5 , @anders-olsson or @swordriff here is my nozzle chart, could you browse over it to see if there is anything missing or incorrect?

[media=7576][/media]

• Like 3

One with 6 slots for hardened nozzles 2 of each size 0.4, 0.6, 0.8

and one with 14 slots 2 of each size 0.15, 0.25, 0.3, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8, 1.0 would be awesome.

And could you put a raised ring around the threaded holes? like the raised lettering, so I can color the rings with a felt pen so one color can be PLA the other XT.

Edited by Guest

I just found a nozzle with no dots but has an "x" on it. the hole looks quite big. Any indication on what size this could be?

there were some 3dsolex 1mm nozzles with 4 dots (1 + 2 + 1).

Also there were a lot of 3dsolex .8mm nozzles with the smaller cone - similar to the .25mm smaller cone.  With zero dots.  In fact the 4th one down in your table should probably have the smaller cone.

5a331396ca1d8_nozzles2copy.thumb.jpg.6d6b8a509d8e9852c97a557b2f9bddab.jpg

Edited by Guest

there were some 3dsolex 1mm nozzles with 4 dots (1 + 2 + 1).

Also there were a lot of 3dsolex .8mm nozzles with the smaller cone - similar to the .25mm smaller cone.  With zero dots.  In fact the 4th one down in your table should probably have the smaller cone.

Great thanks.

Have you seen the one marked with an "x" before?

It also seems like I have a 0.15mm with bullseye dot.

X could be on anything - I had a .15mm nozzle with an X only. Those are long gone.

Less nozzles and more prints :D

I suspose Labern will use the 0.15 nozzle to make mini dril bits for his micro drill, and printing life size fleas! :D

• Like 1