Beta testing Cura 2.5 | Closed.

SandervG

Posted · Beta testing Cura 2.5 | Closed.

how did you get this layer view? Is it the difference Mac-Windows?

I guess your computer does not support OpenGL4.1 ?

I have no idea if upgrading your video driver could help? I'd say first find out which video card your computer has.

from the blog post;

We’ve now incorporated an improved layer view for computers that support OpenGL 4.1. For OpenGL 2.0 to 4.0, we will automatically switch to the old layer view.

• Replies 160
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I noticed the following yesterday:

• load a model, let it slice automatically
    • add a "Pause at z" post processing script
    • save the gcode as a file
    • afterwards: open the settings of the post processing script with the "Tools" button and change a setting (the pause height in this example)
    • save the gcode a second time with the same file filename

Result: the file content does not change, the changed height for the pause is ignored.

Workaround:

Change the position of the model or another parameter (automatically re-slicing is invoked) and save the gcode file again. Now the post processing with the new settings takes place as well.

Hope that helps.

Posted (edited) · Beta testing Cura 2.5 | Closed.

Group the objects. Intersections in the group are ignored.

I meant "automatic" nesting - just mark the parts, click "nesting" and they arrange at the smallest possible area - like similar functions in 2D milling/cutting...

maybe something based on @chrisSalzburg 's orientation plugin...?

Edited by Guest

Group the objects. Intersections in the group are ignored.

I meant "automatic" nesting - just mark the parts, click "nesting" and they arrange at the smallest possible area - like similar functions in 2D milling/cutting...

maybe something based on @chrisSalzburg 's orientation plugin...?

Ooh. Like that. Yeah, that's something that we have on the backlog.

• Like 1

I cannot get 2.5 to slice more than 3 of a very simple part... it says 'unable to slice' because the models are not within the volume ---- which is untrue.

We're going to need more information to help you. Could you share a project file?

Sure -

I've done some more testing and it is related mainly to "one at a time" vs "all at once"... it sure doesn't like "one at a time" with fine settings.

Using Cura 2.5 Beta on UM3 X with 3.6 firmware I am getting this message:

This print job is larger than the printer's build volume please . . .

20170329_074354.thumb.jpg.c5b9160f5979e6943d8945bc993cbea4.jpg

I can choose Ignore or Abort. If I choose Ignore the job will print successfully. This does not happen with Cura 2.4 Final with the same file

• Like 1

Can we get a screen shot of he new layer view? Is it discernible from a still shot? I'm excited to have a look at the new version, but don't want to foul up my current settings by installing another version. Another PC would be the answer I guess...

Can we get a screen shot of he new layer view?

2.5 on the left, big improvement IMHO

just 2 more wishes;

a video like view to see the nozzle path, like in S3D

less "moire"effect of the walls when looking at and rotating the object.

2p5layerview.thumb.png.ab991ee6bcd40bde3a52a9876d8246b1.png

Edited by Guest

Really nice. I like how the shading reveals the direction of the highest layer. There have been times when I wanted to know this but it was difficult to tell w/o a bunch of scrolling up and down, zooming... Knowing the direction of a support roof is good, so the model can be rotated accordingly. Great work! and thanks again

Not exactly sure if this is a beta issue or not as I just started using custom materials.  But when i choose "normal quality .1mm", the profile turns yellow and says "not supported" when I select a custom material I created (cloned from a standard).  Using the built in materials does not create this.  This is all before a model is even loaded.

5a332cb14c6aa_ScreenShot2017-04-01at5_36_21PM.thumb.png.b62a8035cc1fee7a70802fba3ef87d24.png

Edit: Looking like this may be due to me duplicating a profile for an Ultimaker material vs. a generic material. Is there some sort of logic to match compatibility of UM materials to profiles?

5a332cb14c6aa_ScreenShot2017-04-01at5_36_21PM.thumb.png.b62a8035cc1fee7a70802fba3ef87d24.png

Edited by Guest

How can I try this newest Beta on a Win7 machine without corrupting my currently in use 2.3 version? Or any newer version? Will it be completely segregated if I install under another windows user profile?

Thanks

The best way to test Cura 2.5 would be to make a copy or backup of your configuration folder. You can easily open that folder by going to Help -> Show Configuration Folder inside Cura 2.3 and going up one folder. Create a backup of the folder named "cura". Note the path of the folder (should be something like C:\Users\[youname]\AppData\Local)

Now you can install the Cura 2.5 beta and run it. If you are not happy with Cura 2.5, uninstall it and go back to the AppData\Local folder you noted down, delete the cura folder and put back the backup. Now you can run Cura 2.3 again and it will be like nothing happened.

2p5layerview.thumb.png.ab991ee6bcd40bde3a52a9876d8246b1.png

Note that by changing the "Color scheme" to "Line type" you can still make the layerview show the shell, infill, support etc in different colors. Also note that the layer slider now has two handles (or actually three).

If you drag the top blue handle all the way down to layer 1, you get a single layer view. Now click the grey area inbetween the two grey handle you should notice the layer number indicator aligning with the center of the grey area.

With the center of the slider selected, you can use Ctrl + Up/Down to view one layer at a time. If you first click in the layer number box, you can even leave out the Ctrl. Add the Shift key, and the view will bump up/down by 10 layers. You can also enter a number in the layer number box to go straight to the specific layer. Finally you can also drag the grey area of the slider.

The same also works for arbitrary numbers of layers at the same time. If you manipulate the center of the slider, the top and bottom should stay the same number of layers apart.

Yeah, i figured that out, love the single layer view...

I'll give the beta a try soon based on your instructions ahoeben.  Is there a new release on the verge that I might wait a little longer for?

I love the layer interface stuff.  One thing I've had a need for in the past was an indication of layer height in mm along with or instead of the layer number.  This would be a benefit so that model features in CAD could be compared vs the layer construction in Cura.

Thanks again for your efforts building this great software!

Edited by Guest

Using Cura 2.5 Beta on UM3 X with 3.6 firmware I am getting this message:

This print job is larger than the printer's build volume please . . .

That has been fixed for the 2.5 final release. Thanks for the heads up!

• Like 1

Most likely a feature request - but Cura will send a job to a UM3 via the network with no "job name". There is a option in Autodesk Fusion 360 to send a model directly to Cura. Not sure what sequence causes to send the model over with no name. But Cura seems to accept this. If you leave it without a name and send the job to the UM3, it basically homes the head and says the print is complete. Took me a while to figure out that this was due to there being no name for the model in Cura. So it would be nice for Cura to enforce it having a name before sending the job.

Edit: Looking like this may be due to me duplicating a profile for an Ultimaker material vs. a generic material.  Is there some sort of logic to match compatibility of UM materials to profiles?

Yes. There were some issues with this, which have been fixed. Not sure if all the problems are gone of course.

Can we get a screen shot of he new layer view?

2.5 on the left, big improvement IMHO

I want to cry now :(:(:(

I've tried updating my video drivers, many times, but the best OpenGL version I can get is 4.0.9. I'm missing Shading Language version 4.10 - I have all the other 4.10 features but that and my laptop is only 4 years old.

Life is soooo cruel....................

Thanks for all your contributions so far!

All your feature requests, bugs and compliments are being tracked:

5a33300b7e6c6_Curaboard.thumb.JPG.9af173b335ea97973635f84e40247acd.JPG

Keep up the good work, don’t make our developers lazy ;)

Developers are working on fixing the bugs and a new beta version will be released soon!

5a33300b7e6c6_Curaboard.thumb.JPG.9af173b335ea97973635f84e40247acd.JPG

• Like 2

Sniff. You hid the kitten post it :(

• Like 1

How do I share a project file? Google Drive?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5J2gg__lVTNcVhpV3JIaFA5dmc

This project will not slice if set to "one at a time".... it should be a piece of cake. No version of Cura that I tried (15, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5) could successfully do it.

Edited by Guest