Cura 2.6 | Beta

SandervG

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Hi!

Cura 2.6 Beta is here, and if you are interested you can help us beta-test it. We have gone ahead and have done some thorough testing ourselves, but we can’t guarantee the same print reliability as our latest stable versions just yet. If you are working on an important project, we recommend that you use the latest stable version of Cura.

Feeling adventurous? Join us and take these new features out for a spin.

We welcome any feedback you have after using Cura 2.6 Beta in this thread. Our software developers are monitoring this page.

Here is what Cura 2.6 has in stock for you, and I’ll start with my personal favorites:

Cura versions. Cura 2.6 beta has local version folders, which means the new version won’t overwrite the existing configuration and profiles from older versions, but can create a new folder instead. You can now safely check out new beta versions and, if necessary, start up an older version without the danger of losing your profiles.

Better support adhesion. We’ve added extra support settings to allow the creation of improved support profiles with better PVA/PLA adhesion. The Support Interface settings, such as speed and density, are now split up into Support Roof and Support Floor settings.

Support meshes.It’s now possible to load an extra model that will be used as a support structure.

More valuable features which are a great improvement and will definitely help a lot of users are:

Towers for tiny overhangs. We’ve added a new support option allowing users to achieve more reliable results by creating towers to support even the smallest overhangs.

Plugin installer. It used to be fairly tricky to install new plugins. We have now added a button to select and install new plugins with ease – you will find it in Preferences.

Project-based menu.It’s a lot simpler to save and open files, and Cura will know if it’s a project, model, or gcode.

Do you want to read more about Cura 2.6 before giving it a try? Here is our blog post with a more elaborated list of new functionality and improved features.

Ready to give it a try? Download Cura 2.6 Beta here.

If you rather prefer the latest stable version, Cura 2.5 can be downloaded right here!

Please let us know what you think below, and help us improve Cura 2.6 Beta and fix any bugs we may have overlooked. Thank you for your help!!

Edited by Guest

• Replies 139
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta
    We have now added a button to select and install new plugins with ease – you will find it in Preferences.

It is also possible to disable plugins now. For example if you never use USB printing, you can disable it, thus preventing Cura from ever resetting your printer again. Or perhaps you have a hatred towards OctoPrint, and you don't want to see the button to connect your printer via OctoPrint. Did I mention that the OctoPrintPlugin now (finally) comes with Cura?

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

With the gradual infill on a print that displays as 26mins on the default 20% it shows as 27mins on gradual shouldn't the gradual be faster?

Also like how the profile names have been changed making 0.15mm the normal it's the little things great job guys.

• Like 1

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta
    With the gradual infill on a print that displays as 26mins on the default 20% it shows as 27mins on gradual shouldn't the gradual be faster?

It is really model dependent whether gradual infill will decrease print time and material use. The infill density close to the top surfaces is increased compared to the 20% infill setting, and in a 26 min print, all infill is close to the top surface. Try loading in a big model with lots of infill.

The settings are a bit conservative so they work with each material and quality, you could reduce the gradual infill step height to further optimize printing time/material use (at your own risk).

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Thanks Tomhe that makes sense.

Anther interesting one with supports (I know you do not use supports with this model but I had supports enabled from my last model)

But there seems to be little support towers on their lonesome not connected to the model, mm away from it :/

KTRNT1P.png

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta
    But there seems to be little support towers on their lonesome not connected to the model, mm away from it :/

Those are moral support towers :p

(Sorry, I could not resist)

• Like 4

Hi,

Where is located the button to send gcode to Octoprint? And how to configure Cura with Octoprint API information, port, etc?

I already selected "Octoprint connection" in Plugins Preferences.

Tks

Edited by Guest

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

@Nallath: thanks for the distraction from other things that I did not want to do.

It's already a running joke at UM HQ that you really spend a lot of time not doing your taxes ;)

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Thanks Tomhe that makes sense.

Anther interesting one with supports (I know you do not use supports with this model but I had supports enabled from my last model)

KTRNT1P.png

Disable use support towers.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

> Where is located the button to send gcode to Octoprint?

If an Octoprint connection is found, I'd expect it to appear instead of the "Save to File" button. I don't know what configuration options it provides though.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

It is necessary to insert the API of Octoprint in "Preferences - Printers - "..." - Connect to Octoprint".

It's now working.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

It looks like the Support Meshes feature will allow for a custom support generation solution, especially when coupled with the option to Drop Down Support Mesh. The Drop Down options means we'd only need to have a small portion of the desired support structure which touches the model, and Cura can fill the support down to the print surface. Utilizing the Mesh Drop Down in this way requires the "support" model to float, however, which means disabling the option to always keep models on build surface. I'd love an option in the right-click menu to drop models down so we can leave the global drop model option turned off.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Disable use support towers.

disabled towers that removed the supports that did not connect to anything, but still got a couple random lines.

BSxxBh4.png

You're lucky guys - at my PC it crashes every time I´d like to add a new printer... or my customized printer... so no tests up to now possible...

Edited by Guest

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

You're lucky guys - at my PC it crashes every time I´d like to add a new printer... or my customized printer... so no tests up to now possible...

Can you share you log files so we can investigate?

Hi!

I´m already in touch with @Nallath and shared at the corresponding GIT issue - https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/1868

:-)

Thanksfor taking care!!

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

I just got 2:1 dual extrusion and I was very happy to see 2.6 has added support back in for multiple extruders.

One thing I noticed is that after closing out of Cura then relaunching it, my custom profile with multiple extruders has been reduced to a single extruder. Every time I want to slice something for my printer I have to recreate the printer profile or never close Cura.

Hey there, Custom FDM Dual Extrusion have a problem, with the Extruder specific setting (start/end Code). They won't used in the gcode. Only the Machine settings start/end gcode will be used.

second thing, what are the variables for extruder 1 and 2 first layer temp and first layer bed temp?

Edited by Guest

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

As of this Sunday, May 28th I will be the owner of a Cubex Trio.

I get my first spool of filament in the mail June 1st.

As soon as I've had a chance to play with it, I'll let you know the Pros and Cons; my successes and failures.

Thank You for this forum and all the suggestions herein.

I'm also looking for any configuration tweaks that will get me the best results from this printer.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

It is really model dependent whether gradual infill will decrease print time and material use. The infill density close to the top surfaces is increased compared to the 20% infill setting, and in a 26 min print, all infill is close to the top surface. Try loading in a big model with lots of infill.

The infill percentage is the density of the most sense infill. You probably inadvertently changed the infill density when you enable gradual infill from the recommended settings.

Simply enabling gradual infill doesn't make the to of the infill more dense, it just makes the bottom less dense.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

KTRNT1P.png

The top of those support towers is probably cut off due to the xy distance. You can prevent this by disabling Support Towers.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

My PC anti-virus screams if I try to install this Beta. Has that been fixed so I can try again?

My PC anti-virus screams if I try to install this Beta.  Has that been fixed so I can try again?

I just super-scanned the :

- MacOS installer: https://www.virustotal.com/nl/file/cfa96ae3f4273cf8f32e1f82e130b914184cb39e6e3561090fc3f0b14443ffa7/analysis/

- Windows installer (1 false positive):

https://www.virustotal.com/nl/file/4b88d6bab667c298d38da873400e3525077d6d68c70085cea3dc81498badd140/analysis/

Edited by Guest